Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page StreamXsonik Subway
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you like StreamXsonick Subway?
Yes, and I'll tell you why below. 33 75.00%
No...it may be SY but that doesn't make it a good song. 5 11.36%
Waffles!! (or: I've never heard it) 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08.16.2006, 04:49 PM   #1
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
I've tried...I've examined this song from every angle and I can't find any redeeming quality. Total crap. I'm to the point where I can finally appreciate NYCG&F...except for this track.

What are your thoughts? If you say you like it, please...explain.

(I know it's tacky, but I'm going to vote just so the results show up)
Old 08.16.2006, 05:05 PM   #2
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
StreamXsonick Subway is by no means one of their finest efforts, but it's still a decent track, I think. I think the key to it is the contrast between the jerky, agitated guitars (and the mixing) and the very calm delivery of the vocals; the whole thing is about confusion, mainly over feeling like you're the victim when you know you shouldn't have to, which necessarily means discordant elements such as insecurity, paranoia, fear, etc etc. It's not a great tune,but it's not intended to be; it's a performance piece, an attempt at representing a set of feelings specific to a time, and I think it's presented rather well. I also consider it to be perfect within the concept of the NYCG&F album.

There's something in the tune that I'm sure reminds me of an old XTC track, but I can't for the life of me think what it might be.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:09 PM   #3
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
I do like this song. I think it contributes to the whole feel of the album. I can't explain exactly what I feel when I listen to it. It reminds me of the city. I like the abrupt ending and Thurston's voice. There's some neat sounds involved too.
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:10 PM   #4
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I quite like it. like the Priest said, its not one of there best, but it is an ok track. fits well with the album, and i like the jerky gtrs too.

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:14 PM   #5
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
StreamXsonick Subway is by no means one of their finest efforts, but it's still a decent track, I think. I think the key to it is the contrast between the jerky, agitated guitars (and the mixing) and the very calm delivery of the vocals; the whole thing is about confusion, mainly over feeling like you're the victim when you know you shouldn't have to, which necessarily means discordant elements such as insecurity, paranoia, fear, etc etc. It's not a great tune,but it's not intended to be; it's a performance piece, an attempt at representing a set of feelings specific to a time, and I think it's presented rather well. I also consider it to be perfect within the concept of the NYCG&F album.

There's something in the tune that I'm sure reminds me of an old XTC track, but I can't for the life of me think what it might be.

Well put as always, sir. I see your point and I respect your opinion, but I just can't get into it. Yet I think Renegade Princess (especially the 1st half) is genius. Go figure...
Old 08.16.2006, 05:18 PM   #6
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
call me insane, but outside of the title track and free city rhymes it's one of my favorite songs on the record. you have to have been on a nyc subway to get it . . . it just captures the hectic, hustle-and-bustle, jerk-you-around feel that you get when you're on the subway perfectly. plus i'm growing to appreciate the noise section in the middle more and more as i listen to it.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:19 PM   #7
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
I love this song. I can't really explain exactly why... The lyrics catch my interest.....He froze me with his jesus gun.........I just really love it. The last five seconds of it goes into the epic title track perfectly I think. It builds up in time for another xploding load.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:43 PM   #8
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I like it well enough. I like the vocal delivery, as well as the jerky (to borrow from Hip) guitars.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 05:55 PM   #9
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
It's a really, really odd song. I like it more than Renegade Princess though.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2006, 06:01 PM   #10
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I like it (SteamxSonik Subway) & Small Flowers Crack Concrete even more than Nevermind & the title track (the other two great songs from the record).
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2006, 06:10 AM   #11
lunberg
bad moon rising

lunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to beholdlunberg is a splendid one to behold
Geez this is the one I love the most alongside Nevermind and the opener.
I like Thurston's voice in there.
lunberg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2006, 07:23 AM   #12
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
ace/bonkers/hilarious lyrics. great track. what s not to love?
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2006, 08:20 AM   #13
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Well I think if you try to analyze why you like a song or piece of music too deeply then you somehow neutralise all of the magic... You either feel it in the gut or you don't... it's as simple as that, and no amount of rhetoric is going to change your mind... having said that it is fun to hear other peoples opinions.
This song was one of the standout tracks for me when I first heard the album, and has remained so to this day.
I remember just after NYCG+F came out I was asked to DJ at an alternative 'Art' club and I decided to play it during my set... of course the dancefloor suddenly cleared!... but I didn't care because I loved the song so much. I was told that I could play anything that I wanted and not to worry about keeping a full dancefloor... so I did just that.
...and it sounded amazing through a large sound system.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 11:37 AM   #14
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I love this track. It's simplicity on a very, very complex album, the contrast is really great

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 05:37 PM   #15
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
I DJ elecrtonic/house/techno and one time during a techno set I threw in SYR2/3 on some longer techno tracks. Kinda neat...as long as it's just intermittent...

would like to hear on of yr sets mate. im really into good house nowdays.
im not feelin techno anymore, i was feelin more kevin saunderson and all these oldschool guys but not the new stuff. maybe i just havent heard the right tunes.
anyway. i like streamxsonicsubway but i think there are better songs on that lp.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
wastes of space.

i wonder how people became misanthropic before the invention of the message board.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.18.2006, 05:42 PM   #17
Neongod
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
wastes of space.

i wonder how people became misanthropic before the invention of the message board.

Are you speaking to me?
Old 08.18.2006, 05:49 PM   #19
Neongod
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm just speaking.

actually typing.

Right...typing.
This thread has actually become the very opposite of misanthropic, so I don't know where you get that from. If you're referring to the intention of the thread, which I hope you're not, it's just me trying to get the opinions of others.
Old 08.18.2006, 05:52 PM   #20
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
no, i mentioned the misanthropy part because it nurtures hate towards mankind. you knwo, message boards...
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth