Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Kathleen Hanna
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 11.02.2010, 09:43 AM   #1
surftherock1
empty page
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
surftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nice
I am thrilled that Kim will be doing the Kathleen Hanna benefit show at the Knitting Factory Brooklyn on December 11th. My 15 year old daughter Aziza Akhmatova, lead guitarist of the Awkward Turtles will be sharing the bill for the show You're a huge inspiration to her, we saw you at Williamsburg Music Hall last spring.
surftherock1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2010, 08:40 AM   #3
surftherock1
empty page
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2
surftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nicesurftherock1 is just really nice
tesla69.... Thanks for posting the details of the show. I hear it's selling out fast....better get your tix
surftherock1 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:26 PM   #4
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room
 
Decayed Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 579
Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
So I heard Kim read the riot grrrl "manifesto" last night.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:34 PM   #5
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Kim Gordon is a talented idiot.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:36 PM   #6
kinn
the destroyed room
 
kinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 557
kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
it looks like it was written by swa
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:38 PM   #7
kinn
the destroyed room
 
kinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 557
kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
riot grrl back then = demand for feminist capital for self centred celeb wannabe soft left careerists in creative industries before the financial crash

riot grrl right now = another dead style to imitate as you stumble around some expensive club using alcohol to fail at fighting your depression

amirite?
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:41 PM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
She's as influential to women's rights as a piece of shit. Let's get this right, for once.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
riot grrl back then = demand for feminist capital for self centred celeb wannabe soft left careerists in creative industries before the financial crash

riot grrl right now = another dead style to imitate as you stumble around some expensive club using alcohol to fail at fighting your depression

amirite?
Yes.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:42 PM   #10
kinn
the destroyed room
 
kinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 557
kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
LIKE DON'T TELL ME I LIKE CAN'T DANCE JUST COS I'M A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

noones telling you that. noones telling you anything like that. you just wish they were so you could write a song about how oppressed you are deary.
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:44 PM   #11
kinn
the destroyed room
 
kinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 557
kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
you know just to be fair what i said goes for punk rock and most music and males aswell.

just so we can be clear that they are all idiots and its not just about gender.

thx.
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:45 PM   #12
kinn
the destroyed room
 
kinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 557
kinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asseskinn kicks all y'all's asses
Sisters Are Doin It For Themselvers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111
kinn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:51 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Do you think she's so punk she will tatoo you your posts on her tits?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room
 
Decayed Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 579
Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
I'm left cold by the actual political influence riot grrrl has had. It's seeing a resurgence because all these academic panels are talking about it in a way disproportionate to its effects. As a gay man a lot of my friends are offended (LOL) by my indifference to riot grrrl. It's become the new punk rock orthodoxy. I liked some of the music that came out of this but uh, I don't know, I recognize the importance of identity politics but that can be tiresome and limiting if it's your ONLY goal as an artist. Especially if you started sucking after one album.

And, sorry, but for all this anti-capitalist talk they spew around, there is BARELY any class-based analysis in any of their zines and writings. It's very second-wave feminist, very binary, constant usage of "boy boy boy" is bad, a very empty assessment of white privilege. Yeah, I have a dick, but I'm queer, does that mean I'm shit too? Or what about female-to-male transpeople? Do I fall into the punk rock boydom of suck that you rail against? It's playing oppression olympics. BORING. But I can forgive a little because they were like 18.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:00 PM   #15
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room
 
Decayed Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 579
Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinn
you know just to be fair what i said goes for punk rock and most music and males aswell.

just so we can be clear that they are all idiots and its not just about gender.

thx.

Yeah, you're right.

Conclusion: punk is fucking dumb.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:03 PM   #16
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room
 
Decayed Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 579
Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone have an mp3 of this?

http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_wrestlingandkathleen.html

I REALLY want to like her, I really really want to like her, but I'm too smart and old for this kind of juvenile shit. I wouldn't want to be making some conceptual art piece if I needed to call out a rapist.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:05 PM   #17
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I'm left cold by the actual political influence riot grrrl has had. It's seeing a resurgence because all these academic panels are talking about it in a way disproportionate to its effects. As a gay man a lot of my friends are offended (LOL) by my indifference to riot grrrl. It's become the new punk rock orthodoxy. I liked some of the music that came out of this but uh, I don't know, I recognize the importance of identity politics but that can be tiresome and limiting if it's your ONLY goal as an artist. Especially if you started sucking after one album.

And, sorry, but for all this anti-capitalist talk they spew around, there is BARELY any class-based analysis in any of their zines and writings. It's very second-wave feminist, very binary, constant usage of "boy boy boy" is bad, a very empty assessment of white privilege. Yeah, I have a dick, but I'm queer, does that mean I'm shit too? Or what about female-to-male transpeople? Do I fall into the punk rock boydom of suck that you rail against? It's playing oppression olympics. BORING. But I can forgive a little because they were like 18.
I'm left cold by gay politics and riot grrrl too. Always have and always will be. If you can only fight off offence, it means that you're not really affected by it.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room
 
Decayed Rhapsody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 579
Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Word.

I see queer/gender/feminist/whatever liberation in a very traditional leftist way. A conduit for entering larger struggles for social change. Eventually we need to get to a point where identifiers are irrelevant. This is still too radical for some people. I am opposed to exclusionist politics, and that's what riot grrrl ended up becoming. And still is in some ways. It's a very narrow identity politics plagued by GUILT. I have witnessed honest political discourse shut down in "womyn safe spaces" because people were afraid it would be "triggering or offensive." I'm sorry, but how are you going to work out issues with people if you can't have an honest discussion? How are you going to even call out oppressive bullshit if you don't have an honest discussion to bring said bullshit to the surface? People get off on feeling guilty without bothering to fight the SYSTEM or the material reasons that create oppression. It's empty lifestyle politics for undergrads and it's yet another one of the reasons why The Left in America is in a coma.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:29 PM   #19
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Yeah, you're right.

Conclusion: punk is fucking dumb.
When musicians deal with immediate needs to an ordinary being they are generally dumb, not to mention completely driven by egos. That's why people who have urgent problems don't normally take musicians seriously when it comes to dealing with reality, or at least most aspects of it. It's not because music or musicians should be looked down or dismissed, it's just that on average they mess around with reality and
make it bearable, but in fact have no power to really change reality at all. Influence it, yes, still not the sort of influence that wouldn't exist without music anyway.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2010, 03:37 PM   #20
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 8,498
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Word.

I see queer/gender/feminist/whatever liberation in a very traditional leftist way. A conduit for entering larger struggles for social change. Eventually we need to get to a point where identifiers are irrelevant. This is still too radical for some people. I am opposed to exclusionist politics, and that's what riot grrrl ended up becoming. And still is in some ways. It's a very narrow identity politics plagued by GUILT. I have witnessed honest political discourse shut down in "womyn safe spaces" because people were afraid it would be "triggering or offensive." I'm sorry, but how are you going to work out issues with people if you can't have an honest discussion? How are you going to even call out oppressive bullshit if you don't have an honest discussion to bring said bullshit to the surface? People get off on feeling guilty without bothering to fight the SYSTEM or the material reasons that create oppression. It's empty lifestyle politics for undergrads and it's yet another one of the reasons why The Left in America is in a coma.
We're neither women nor gays. We're human beings.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|


Thread Tools

All content 2006 Sonic Youth