Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 01.20.2017, 12:58 PM   #1061
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,404
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the guy ritchie movies could have been about any fucking asshole. To just tag on the name of Sherlock was pathetic.
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2017, 02:38 PM   #1062
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,977
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Bennie Cumberbatch is getting way too much work. He's the Breetesh version of Joseph Gordon Levett.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2017, 05:50 PM   #1063
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
Bennie Cumberbatch is getting way too much work. He's the Breetesh version of Joseph Gordon Levett.

He's been in an obscene number of franchisey adaptations at this point. Star Trek, The Hobbit (first ludicrously unnecessary sequel), The Hobbit (second ludicrously unnecessary sequel), Star Trek, Doctor Strange/MCU, Sherlock...

He's not the British Joseph Gordon Levitt. He's the British fucking Gerard Butler!! Or something. I don't know. Trying to think of some non-British wank who's been in more franchise films. Tom Cruise?

Wait... no... he's the British Harrison Ford!!! The younger, more skilled, less cool, less attractive, deep-voices Harrison motherfuckin' Ford!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2017, 05:52 PM   #1064
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Also, I like Joseph Gordon Levitt. And I don't get out to many movies, but I don't think he gets that much work. Does he? Anyway, he's ok by me.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2017, 11:16 PM   #1065
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the last tv character JGL did was the old man from 3rd rock from the sun i think. he's not in too many things is he?

whereas frumious bandersnatch has been in all kinds of garbage including one terrible british miniseries about... government espionage or something. awful. he's smaug (good), he's khan (not good), he's sherlock (good), he's alan turing (hmmm....), he's everybody and their mother. getting overexposed. as long as he keeps the money he should be fine though. cash in while you can.

---

finished saul season 2. so very satisfying

now started mr. robot season 2, and i'm liking it. please don't be a dick and avoid spoilers of any kind. any kind. any kind. any kind. of any kind. any. any kind. no spoilers.thank you.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2017, 11:33 AM   #1066
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the last tv character JGL did was the old man from 3rd rock from the sun i think. he's not in too many things is he?

whereas frumious bandersnatch has been in all kinds of garbage including one terrible british miniseries about... government espionage or something. awful. he's smaug (good), he's khan (not good), he's sherlock (good), he's alan turing (hmmm....), he's everybody and their mother. getting overexposed. as long as he keeps the money he should be fine though. cash in while you can.

---

finished saul season 2. so very satisfying

now started mr. robot season 2, and i'm liking it. please don't be a dick and avoid spoilers of any kind. any kind. any kind. any kind. of any kind. any. any kind. no spoilers.thank you.

I actually quite liked him as Khan. Not as Khan because he is not Ricardo Montalban and he didn't even attempt to re-create that character. But as an alternate universe/timeline version of what Khan might have been? Purty good. I recently rewatched that one, and there's nothing wrong with it. And if anyone should be pissed about a non-Khan it's me (Wrath of Khan = one of the greatest movies ever made by anyone period.)

As Smaug? Meh. All of those movies were pretty meh. Yeah he's got a good voice. Probably one of the better parts of the movie(s).

I thought he was great as Turing. Or really I thought The Imitation Game was great. As Turing he basically just played gay, non-opiate raddled Sherlock. But it was a good movie. I liked it quite a bit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2017, 02:00 PM   #1067
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the terrible british series about government espionage wasn't imitation game but something called the last... the last enemy or something. government spying on civilians and some terrorism subplot. each chapter even has some sort of earnest introduction by some actor.

it's complete shit. watch it if you can lol. awful!

the turing movie was so-so. turing's story itself is great, just the movie as a finished product didn't do it for me--had a hallmark movie of the week flavor to it. his khan of the future, i'm sorry but montalbán owns that forever. i blame jj abrams from it though.

anyway, frumious b. is great though-- he really is a good actor. also appears to be a very decent person IRL. i have no complaints about him. i was just commenting on his ubiquity vs. that of the much less visible don jon.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2017, 02:24 PM   #1068
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
mr. robot season 2 just introduced a cop to the proceedings.

i'm not sure i like this becoming another cop show derivative.

they'd better not
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2017, 02:42 PM   #1069
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,977
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoyed Mr R S2, it's been a bit on the confusing side, though,

I'm watching Show Me a Hero, Oscar Issac. Pretty well put together, he's a new city councilor in Yonkers NY during the late 80's. Federal desegregation order and low income housing background. It's really well done. Alfred Molina shows his skills in this
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2017, 02:45 PM   #1070
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
he's got multiple personalities and he hallucinates like a momforto so yeah it's hard to track all the plots & counterplots

i should check out that show you mention!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2017, 11:56 AM   #1071
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the terrible british series about government espionage wasn't imitation game but something called the last... the last enemy or something. government spying on civilians and some terrorism subplot. each chapter even has some sort of earnest introduction by some actor.

it's complete shit. watch it if you can lol. awful!

the turing movie was so-so. turing's story itself is great, just the movie as a finished product didn't do it for me--had a hallmark movie of the week flavor to it. his khan of the future, i'm sorry but montalbán owns that forever. i blame jj abrams from it though.

anyway, frumious b. is great though-- he really is a good actor. also appears to be a very decent person IRL. i have no complaints about him. i was just commenting on his ubiquity vs. that of the much less visible don jon.

Haha... Bandersnatch!

Sorry, I just caught that.

Did you know there was a band by that name? From... you guessed it... San Fran in the '60s.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.27.2017, 12:07 PM   #1072
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Haha... Bandersnatch!

Sorry, I just caught that.

Did you know there was a band by that name? From... you guessed it... San Fran in the '60s.
ha ha ha ha

you're the first person to get it, ever-- or at least to mention i. my brain just can't avoid it.

didn't know about the hippies!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 02:00 PM   #1073
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha ha

you're the first person to get it, ever-- or at least to mention i. my brain just can't avoid it.

Impossible, especially given the frequency with which the word has been used in other media. Wasn't there just a movie based on Through the Looking Glass? There was a detective novel (one I've never read) called "The Frumious Bandersnatch" as well.

Anyway, just to make sure you know I do indeed "get it" ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Carroll

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The Jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!"

When I was little, I had an illustrated edition of the Jabberwocky (just the poem), and my mom read it to me every night.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 04:26 PM   #1074
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,977
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
from memory, so may not be perfect

"He took his vorpal sword in hand
Long time the maxim foe he sought
And rested he by the jubjum tree
And stood a while in thought
And as he stood, the jabberwock with eyes of flame
Came whistling through the fulgy woods and burbled as it came
And one, two and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack
And left it dead and with it's head he went galumphing back
"'And thou has slain the jabberwock?
Oh come to my arms, my beamish boy!
Of frumious day, calloo callay" he chortled in his joy.
Twas brillig and the slighthy toves
Did gyre and gimbal in the wabes
All mimsy were the borogroves
And the momes rathgrabed."
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 06:22 PM   #1075
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yes ha ha ha

i meant the wordplay/rhyme thing

the inevitable cumberbatch-bandersnatch link

i can't not think it

====

so, been catching up with HOUSE OF LIES season 5

it's still entertaining and funny after all these years

perfect for the cynical season-- although spring is near
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 06:28 PM   #1076
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
from memory, so may not be perfect

"He took his vorpal sword in hand
Long time the maxim foe he sought
And rested he by the jubjum tree
And stood a while in thought
And as he stood, the jabberwock with eyes of flame
Came whistling through the fulgy woods and burbled as it came
And one, two and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack
And left it dead and with it's head he went galumphing back
"'And thou has slain the jabberwock?
Oh come to my arms, my beamish boy!
Of frumious day, calloo callay" he chortled in his joy.
Twas brillig and the slighthy toves
Did gyre and gimbal in the wabes
All mimsy were the borogroves
And the momes rathgrabed."


Ahaa! Yes!

I always remembered it as "Frabtious day, calloo callay" but, I know that's not right. Still, I've been known to recite that (falsely) when something sweet happens in my life... even "he chortled in his joy."

Now this is sappy, but my mother used to call "beamish boy" from time to time. I didn't mind.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2017, 06:37 PM   #1077
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Warning: nobody EVER watch the 100.

I know it has an inexplicable 90% rotten tomatoes rating (no fucking clue how that happened, as it's simply shit) ... but don't even think it.

maybe you've heard people compare it to LOST, the greatest show of our generation. Still! Don't do it!

It is exactly like LOST, only with spaceships instead of airplanes, bunkers instead of hatches, and with a terrible young adult cast that makes it feel like 90210. So despite all the countless things it rips off from LOST, it's ultimately the anti-LOST. It's as if LOST's loser juvenile delinquent little brother knocked up the Hunger Games and made a shame baby that was raised by the CW.

Don't ask me how I know this. It's not a story I care to tell. But dear god, heed me! Especially if you love lost -- oh, sweet Desmond, what have they done to you? -- stay as far away from this show as you physically can.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2017, 04:09 AM   #1078
h8kurdt
invito al cielo
 
h8kurdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In Mulder's Basement room
Posts: 3,499
h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Warning: nobody EVER watch the 100.

I know it has an inexplicable 90% rotten tomatoes rating (no fucking clue how that happened, as it's simply shit) ... but don't even think it.

maybe you've heard people compare it to LOST, the greatest show of our generation. Still! Don't do it!

It is exactly like LOST, only with spaceships instead of airplanes, bunkers instead of hatches, and with a terrible young adult cast that makes it feel like 90210. So despite all the countless things it rips off from LOST, it's ultimately the anti-LOST. It's as if LOST's loser juvenile delinquent little brother knocked up the Hunger Games and made a shame baby that was raised by the CW.

Don't ask me how I know this. It's not a story I care to tell. But dear god, heed me! Especially if you love lost -- oh, sweet Desmond, what have they done to you? -- stay as far away from this show as you physically can.

You having a giraffe?!
__________________


Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2017, 04:48 AM   #1079
pepper_green
Banned
 
pepper_green's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 0
pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
ok, out of the blue im catching up with Better Call Saul. half of the first season got me hooked. second season I missed out but, im hoping Netflix will offer it right when the 3rd season is airing. they normally do this right? Gus might make an appearance I read. los pollos.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2017, 12:41 PM   #1080
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,513
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
You having a giraffe?!

I'm not having anything, except a good darn time!

Seriously though, LOST is awesome. It's a great show. Great, great, great. Regular basic cable television has not seen that level of awesomeness since.

Maaayyyybe there have been some as-good offerings in the years since, but every one I can think of has had the benefit of being on a cable or premium network, or subscription service, where they can get away with more (blood, swearing, sex, drugs).

Breaking Bad — tremendous, of course.
Also I've never seen The Wire, so... yeah.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
4
44515253 54 55565764 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth