Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.10.2016, 10:46 AM   #1001
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ha! the original babeway was gonna be this one

which i've been thinking about just now because the movie i watched last night reminded me of cronenberg's "dead ringers" a lot and found her picture previous to this

anyway she wasn't as young or hot by then (cigarettes kill) but she did the pilot for voyager and it didn't work out--apparently she hated the whole business and her performance sucked (you can see that pilot in various places)

and i didn't really watch the 70s show but the two main girls were pretty-- so, the actual worst show of all time has to be the fucking family guy. which has the mom from the 70s show and a spiritually bankrupt writer
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2016, 11:25 AM   #1002
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I can't watch that shit. My wife loves the Orange is new Black, but I just don't care.....

I swore off of any TV shows that dealt with police, doctors, lawyers, courts, etc as their main plot devices. I find them to be propaganda to fool the masses of sheep that the legal system, medical system, and police system are A-OK, and that they do their job, and that they save people, and that they FIGHT CRIME, but it is all BULLSHIT. I will not buy into their shit.
you must have REALLY not been watching, cuz "orange" is the opposite of a show that makes you believe that "the system" works, and it features neither cops, doctors, courts or lawyers (so far as i've seen). so none of that criticism applies.

it actually looks at multiple levels of corruption and incompetence in the penal system, but in a humorous way rather than a grim documentary style. so it's a decent blend of comedy & drama & social criticism, actually. and it gets addictive for the most part.
Old 12.10.2016, 03:55 PM   #1003
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you must have REALLY not been watching, cuz "orange" is the opposite of a show that makes you believe that "the system" works, and it features neither cops, doctors, courts or lawyers (so far as i've seen). so none of that criticism applies.

it actually looks at multiple levels of corruption and incompetence in the penal system, but in a humorous way rather than a grim documentary style. so it's a decent blend of comedy & drama & social criticism, actually. and it gets addictive for the most part.

There's a lawyer or two in the first two seasons, but... yeah, they're not exactly portrayed in a positive light. I suppose what'shisface's (guy from American Pie) dad is ethical enough. But on the whole, the show makes it its mission to expose the flaws in the system from as many angles as possible. Nobody ISN'T corrupt. Not the cops in the flashbacks, not the prison guards or that absurd social worker with the white hair.. god I hate that guy.

Especially prisons though. For-profit ones. The longer the show airs, the more the system rots, and the more that becomes clear to the few noble-ish minded people involved (like Caputo).

Rob you should watch before you judge. I don't like every season equally but on the whole, I think the show is very good and also very important because of how it addresses the corruption and greed that fuels the prison-industrial complex, and how it pokes at and comments on commerce and privatization.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2016, 03:57 PM   #1004
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
ha! the original babeway was gonna be this one

which i've been thinking about just now because the movie i watched last night reminded me of cronenberg's "dead ringers" a lot and found her picture previous to this

anyway she wasn't as young or hot by then (cigarettes kill) but she did the pilot for voyager and it didn't work out--apparently she hated the whole business and her performance sucked (you can see that pilot in various places)

and i didn't really watch the 70s show but the two main girls were pretty-- so, the actual worst show of all time has to be the fucking family guy. which has the mom from the 70s show and a spiritually bankrupt writer

Family Guy makes me laugh
Sometimes uncontrollably and for reasons I'm not altogether ok with. But still... brings a certain joy in its own twisted way.
Old 12.10.2016, 11:46 PM   #1005
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
too bad Orange is the New Black is boring. you guys watch this junk? and family guy?

junk!! lick and handle my junk, junk.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2016, 09:28 AM   #1006
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

two sentences. two unrelated thoughts. sorry if you connected them.
Old 12.12.2016, 07:45 PM   #1007
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
two sentences. two unrelated thoughts. sorry if you connected them.

Old 12.12.2016, 10:35 PM   #1008
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ASH VS. THE EVIL DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just started it

awesome + hilarious
Old 12.12.2016, 11:48 PM   #1009
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I loved it at first and lost interest halfway thru the season. Let me know what you think.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2016, 11:21 AM   #1010
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I loved it at first and lost interest halfway thru the season. Let me know what you think.
oh noes! aghhh. please say no more.
Old 12.13.2016, 11:47 AM   #1011
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
alright. Well, you know I'm a huge (HUGE) Evil Dead fan right? I think the problem is this... there's too many people in this show. Too many characters with backstories and motivations. I don't know. It doesn't really "fit" to me.

As the season goes on it doesn't feel like Ash Vs Evil Dead, it feels like Ash & His Friends Vs Evil Dead & Some Other People.
Old 12.13.2016, 11:58 AM   #1012
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
ASH VS. THE EVIL DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just started it

awesome + hilarious

Can't wait to watch this.
Old 12.13.2016, 12:02 PM   #1013
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
-----

i'll rejoin this convo when i'm done watching. have mercy!
Old 12.13.2016, 12:10 PM   #1014
Severian
invito al cielo

We've been just steamrolling through American Horror Story. I guess I'm finally desensitized to the gross sexual bullshit. Anyway...

Just finished:

Had its moments but mostly it was a letdown. Also, the ABSOLUTE BUTCHERING of David Bowie and Nirvana songs didn't help a goddamn thing. I liked Angela Basset and Kathy Bates a lot though. Highlights of the season for sure.

Now we've started:

Bloody and too much goth rock in episode one. But some scary stuff too. Not sure how I feel about Lady Gaga replacing Jessica Lange (yeesh!), but there's some coolness to it.

So far, this is how I rank the seasons:

1. AHS: Coven (Season 3) — Without a single fucking moment of doubt, this is the best, best, best. High watermark of acting, storytelling, and compelling drama for the whole show. More of this, less of everything else!
2. AHS: Asylum (Season 2) — Nowhere near as good as Coven, but still pretty good. Way better than the rest.
3. AHS: Murder House (Season 1) — Everyone was loathsome and everything was disgusting but at least it didn't butcher Bowie or Nirvana.
4. AHS: Freak Show (Season 5) — Storywise, probably a bit better than season 1... but again, the musical savagery was too horrific by far

We'll see about Gaga Hotel.
Old 12.20.2016, 09:55 AM   #1015
Peterpuff
bad moon rising

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Started Black Mirror last week. About 5-6 episodes into it and really enjoying it a lot.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2016, 10:48 AM   #1016
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
alright. Well, you know I'm a huge (HUGE) Evil Dead fan right? I think the problem is this... there's too many people in this show. Too many characters with backstories and motivations. I don't know. It doesn't really "fit" to me.

As the season goes on it doesn't feel like Ash Vs Evil Dead, it feels like Ash & His Friends Vs Evil Dead & Some Other People.
okay so having finished season 1 i dared look at your whole post, and i see what you're saying and how it could bother a hardcore fan.

but i'm new to the whole thing, and for me the show works the way it is, with the friends included, except i hate that *****SPOILERS SPOILERS**** one of the friends didn't/couldn't stick around.*****END SPOILERS**** gaaaah!

i really really liked the soundtrack, which was often hilarious. the way some of those old songs sound on a dvd is pretty great actually-- you can here the effects growling and audio details you usually don't get in the flat shitty "classic rock" radio format that abounds in my parts. (and unlike radio in ye olde pickup, i watch tv on big stereo speakers which sound great). good picks, those tracks.

what else. just... it's great! it's absurd and ridiculous and hilarious and that works for me.
Old 12.21.2016, 12:52 PM   #1017
Severian
invito al cielo

AHS: Hotel turned out to be pretty ok. Turns out I kinda love Angela Basset. Who knew? Anyway, Lady Gaga was decent, but certainly not deserving of an acting award for her portrayal of a monk-syllabic vampire diva with very little explained motivation or character depth.

I started the sixth season, AHS: My Roanoke Nightmare, but I'm gonna definitely wait for that shit to come to Netflix. They switched up the narrative style so that it resembles an episode of Unsolved Mysteries, only with actors playing the "real" people telling their story to the camera while other actors act out those characters in the "dramatic re-enactment." Bleh.

DO A CTHULHU SEASON!!!
Old 12.21.2016, 03:11 PM   #1018
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

DO A CTHULHU SEASON!!!

That series seems too locked into the whole goth-chic market to really go there. Maybe it could introduce an element of it but I can't see it ever jumping into it feet (or tentacles) first.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2016, 08:38 PM   #1019
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
That series seems too locked into the whole goth-chic market to really go there. Maybe it could introduce an element of it but I can't see it ever jumping into it feet (or tentacles) first.

Probably not, you're right.

But there's no horror more American than Lovecraft's. If they really wanted to do a seminar-like survey of American horror tropes, they would certainly include the Master.

Like, what if there's a season that takes place in a quiet New England fishing village where a few rotarians and local bigwigs (bed and breakfast owners, funeral home directors, etc) secretly convene and conspire to bring the Old Ones back with the help of the Necronomicon, or some variation thereof.

It could be linked to the AHS: Coven season, which took place in New Orleans. Maybe some Detective learns about Inspector Legrasse's discovery of the cult activity in "The Call of Cthulhu," and follows a breadcrumb trail out east where he stumbles upon this order of socialites who are maybe killing folks in sacrifice to the Old Ones, and covering up their deaths.

Cthulhu himself would be a much bigger adversary than the show seems willing to explore, literally and figuratively, since they seem to prefer more (and human-sized) bad guys. But I think a compelling season could be made about a little Innsmouth-like town, and some fucked up cult's efforts to resurrect the ultimate evil. Gaga could be their leader! Or Jessica Lange, should she ever choose to return. It could be fueled by serial-killer elements and maybe some crossbreeding side-stories (Kathy Bates as the mother of a Deep One maybe?), and the whole "Cthulhu" thing could be sort of under the surface.

Actually now that I write that out, it seems plausible and potentially super entertaining! Eh? Ehhhh?
Old 12.21.2016, 09:36 PM   #1020
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I saw Lovecraft's grave once. It said "I am Providence."
484950 51 52535461 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth