Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Karma
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2009, 02:19 PM   #1
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe none of us has started a thread on this subject!

What I've been thinking lately: So I've had some success selling old clothes that I don't like anymore. It has occured to me, though, given all the "need" out there, all the poverty, that the far nobler thing is to simply give it all away.

Am I "good" for dumping clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army? Or am I stupid for not trying to get something back for them?

I'm not talking about old trashed out clothes. I'm talking about decent things that are only a year or so old.
Old 08.16.2009, 02:31 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think karma exists to the person who does things thikning they will be repaid by karma.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 02:33 PM   #3
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know if I believe in karma per say but I do think that when you do good in the world, it will often come back to you. but you shouldn't perform acts of charity for that reason...it's never good to have an ego about that type of thing...

the whole pay it forward thing, ya dig?

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 02:34 PM   #4
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
I don't think karma exists to the person who does things thikning they will be repaid by karma.

Karma exists independent of one's intentions. It just is. It is the consequences of what one does (or doesn't do).

So I'm after, am I creating good karma or bad, or neither. Is it nobler to blah blah blah.

Basically, is it better to recoup the money I spent on impulse clothing purchases? Or is it better to just cut my losses and give it away?

But I'd like to open my thread to all considerations of karma and the choices we make in our daily lives.
Old 08.16.2009, 02:37 PM   #5
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I can't believe none of us has started a thread on this subject!

What I've been thinking lately: So I've had some success selling old clothes that I don't like anymore. It has occured to me, though, given all the "need" out there, all the poverty, that the far nobler thing is to simply give it all away.

Am I "good" for dumping clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army? Or am I stupid for not trying to get something back for them?

I'm not talking about old trashed out clothes. I'm talking about decent things that are only a year or so old.

This is what Zizek thinks on the matter:

"5) False Urgency

Today Bill Gates in interviews will say that it doesn't matter how many computers he can sell if world hunger remains such a huge problem. Immediate refuge in actions, thought condemned as not doing anything. But immediate action (i.e. sending used T shirts to third world countries undermines attempts at starting their own factories) to "help" with world poverty often does nothing to help the problem. Thus, withdrawal, to "Learn, Learn, and Learn"- Lenin, is perhaps not such a bad option. There is a need to oppose the immediate demand to action because it does not allow time for the thought which would keep such action from merely reinforcing the structure which allows for the maintenance of so much objective violence. Charity as the last moment of capitalist accomadation is taking on a purely economic function (maintain status quo). "Only through patient theoretical work, something will emerge. Knowledge we need more than ever."
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
I suppose you're "good" for doing it, but you're not "bad" for not doing it. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to get money for things you have (especially if you need it) and thrift stores - at least the ones around here - aren't exactly empty. Also a lot of people who shop there aren't people who "need" to shop there - they do it because it's trendy or because they're stingy.

On the issue of karma, I don't believe in it (reincarnation seems very silly to me) but I don't think it's a bad thing to believe in. People doing good things just for the sake of doing good things is beautiful.

http://slouchingsunflowers.tumblr.com/
Anngella is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 02:40 PM   #7
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anngella
I suppose you're "good" for doing it, but you're not "bad" for not doing it. I don't think there is anything wrong with trying to get money for things you have (especially if you need it) and thrift stores - at least the ones around here - aren't exactly empty. Also a lot of people who shop there aren't people who "need" to shop there - they do it because it's trendy or because they're stingy.

On the issue of karma, I don't believe in it (reincarnation seems very silly to me) but I don't think it's a bad thing to believe in. People doing good things just for the sake of doing good things is beautiful.

Karma, as I understand, is simply consequences, e.g., if I don't put gas in the car, I'll run out of gas and won't go anywhere. Action and result.
Old 08.16.2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Anngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's assesAnngella kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Karma, as I understand, is simply consequences, e.g., if I don't put gas in the car, I'll run out of gas and won't go anywhere. Action and result.
A lot of people have that misconception. In Hinduism/Buddhism, it's not as simple as that. From what I understand, the result of good karma isn't just the (nearly) instantaneous happenings - the result is to return as a greater being in your next life. There are different interpretations for different religions, though.
I'm bad at explaining things.

"This samsaric karma comes in two 'flavours' - 'good' karma, which leads to positive/pleasurable experiences, like high rebirth (as a deva, asura, or human), and bad karma which leads to suffering and low rebirth (as a hell-sufferer, as a preta, or as an animal). There is also a completely different type of karma that is neither good nor bad, but liberating. This karma allows for the individual to break the uncontrolled cycle of rebirth which always implies suffering, and thereby leave samsara to permanently enter Nirvana."

From this website.

Old 08.16.2009, 02:54 PM   #9
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
yeah but if you donate, you get a receipt for when you do your yearly taxes. it's probably better in the end to just get the receipt.
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 02:54 PM   #10
gmku
invito al cielo

Well, yes and no. I was lay-ordained in Zen Budhism which holds a much more pragmatic outlook on karma--it looks at how what you do now affects your life now and in the rest of your earthly existence as well as how it affects the rest of the "real" world and other people. I know the afterlife is a deeper concern in other forms of Budhism and in Hinuism but not in Zen.
Old 08.16.2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Also my friend just showed me this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVUTT444K7c

I think it's actually serious... I don't even know what to say.

Old 08.16.2009, 03:05 PM   #12
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Well, yes and no. I was lay-ordained in Zen Budhism which holds a much more pragmatic outlook on karma--it looks at how what you do now affects your life now and in the rest of your earthly existence as well as how it affects the rest of the "real" world and other people. I know the afterlife is a deeper concern in other forms of Budhism and in Hinuism but not in Zen.
Ah, I see. Well, if you actually follow/believe in Zen Buddhism, then it's probably a better idea to donate the clothes.

Old 08.16.2009, 03:11 PM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anngella
Ah, I see. Well, if you actually follow/believe in Zen Buddhism, then it's probably a better idea to donate the clothes.

That seems obvious, but Zen ethics are also situational. Maybe in my situation, it's better karma to get money for myself if I need it? I'm wrestling with this.
Old 08.16.2009, 03:14 PM   #14
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
energy is never lost or gained, but is only transformed.

ps: listen to girlgun. do BOTH. donate>> save the receipt.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 03:14 PM   #15
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
energy is never lost or gained, but is only transformed.

Exactly!
Old 08.16.2009, 03:16 PM   #16
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
please see my edit.
Old 08.16.2009, 03:19 PM   #17
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

I believe that there's also a limit to the amount that you can claim for donation. knowing how you like expensive clothes, you might just donate up to yr limit and ebay the rest.

it's all karmic neutral, really.
Old 08.16.2009, 03:21 PM   #18
Anngella
expwy. to yr skull

Well if you actually need the money then you should sell the clothes...

Old 08.16.2009, 03:21 PM   #19
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I believe that there's also a limit to the amount that you can claim for donation. knowing how you like expensive clothes, you might just donate up to yr limit and ebay the rest.

it's all karmic neutral, really.

My clothes aren't THAT expensive.

And yes, girlgun is wise and true. I am a devout follower of roshi girlgun.
Old 08.16.2009, 03:26 PM   #20
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

even though they may not be "that" expensive, you might check out ebay first. make "donate" and "sell" piles.

besides, ebay is out of san francisco. that means the hippies own it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth