Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Severed Heads
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.11.2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
With all the talk about Joy Division & New Order, I thought this would be an appropriate time to mention Severed Heads. They released some excellent songs, but I never see them mentioned here. Do any of you have any Severed Heads in your collection?

My introduction to them was back in the mid 80's via DJ re-mix service / going to #'s in Houston. A band with a very unique sound!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLIi_ZMBfQs

אש זרה

Robin Hood is more real than Jesus - Rob Instigator

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 09:52 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to have to answer "I don't know" to whether or not I have any in my collection.

I think so...but it's burried if I do.

that said, #'s was a badass club. I've only been there once, but damn, they had some good shows back in the day. I think Ministry / RevCo practically lived there!

I had a friend that would spin on friday and saturday nights in houston at DV8 (I think that's what it was called) and on the radio (RIP: Justin Sayne). I wish I could have spent more time there.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
NRG, 6400 and DV8 were just a few of the wonderful Houston clubs......but #'s is the only one still going today. YES - Ministry & RevCo played there several times. Edward Ka-spel ran the sound board for Skinny Puppy and performed one of his first solo gigs opening for Skinny Puppy at #'s. And if my memory is correct, Chris & Cosey played #'s that same week as well. About the only late 80's show that didn't play #'s was The Hafler Trio.

אש זרה

Old 06.11.2009, 10:09 AM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
it's amazing that it's still open.

even the best clubs tend to fade out of popularity, and then close.

I think DV8 was run into the ground after Justin died. the owners would fly him between houston and miami for a "new" industrial club that they were opening. sadly, it never happened.

the best thing that dallas had going for it during that time was having Mark Griffin / MC 900ft Jesus in town. I miss that guy too (not that he's dead, just sayin').
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 12:11 PM   #5
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
I have 'Since the Accident' and 'City Slab Horror' in my collection.

Excellent outfit.

I'd also recommend 'Size' by Actual Size (Garry Bradbury & Jason Gee) as one of the better offshoots.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 06:34 PM   #6
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
I have very nearly everything ever by this band, and several releases in multiple formats and in multiple editions. This is certainly one of my absolute favorite bands.

I am a "Clifford" as Severed Heads fans like to say, but I also enjoy their later albums.

As a huge fan of the band, I recommend collecting and listening in this order for the uninitiated...

(1) Since the Accident
(2) City Slab Horror
(3) Come Visit the Big Bigot
(4) Bad Mood Guy

If you like #3, then proceed to #4....if you like #4, just get everything.

My least favorite album by them (the only one I never listen to) is Rotund for Success. I even enjoy the daringly dancefloor-accessible remix album Bulkhead way more than that one. Cuisine (with Piscatorial) is a grossly underrated album and usually the easiest and cheapest to find at used CD stores. Not much of the Cuisine tracks bear much resemblance to earlier Sevs, but "I'm Your Antidote" and "Goodbye" are really outstanding and broody.

If you only like #1 and #2, you would still get your money's worth outta the 5LP boxed set from Vinyl-on-Demand entitled Adenoids. If you're really lucky, maybe you will also find the 2xLP called Clifford, Darling...Please Stop Living in the Past which collected a lot of their early loopbuilt stuff. Some fantastic fun with audio there.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Bumpin this thread.

Absolutely amazing band. Underrated too.

I haven't really got into their later records, they're far away from as fucked up as the old stuff.
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2011, 09:10 AM   #8
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

^^the older stuff is amazing and sometimes hard to find.

Here is a favorite that will have the kido's dancing around the Christmas tree

SEVERED HEADS - Twenty Deadly Diseases (Terminal Mix) - 1986
http://youtu.be/1flRJAXeb4s

אש זרה

Old 12.25.2011, 11:32 AM   #9
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Hardcore stuff^^

Love it!
Pelle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth