Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So Cow
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.12.2009, 09:53 AM   #1
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Band from Ireland that plays punky pop numbers, some of them sung in Korean. I heard them play a live set on WFMU this morning and thought it was pretty cool. Definitely for fans of The Homosexuals.

http://www.myspace.com/socow
http://freemusicarchive.org/music/so_cow
Old 05.12.2009, 01:11 PM   #2
sarramkrop

I'm kind of split about So Cow. He has some brilliant tunes, and then some others that sound average. In saying that, I haven't heard that much, so any recommendations are welcome. Thanks for the free music archive link.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:01 PM   #3
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Yeah, that free music archive is probably more deserving of its own thread. wfmu is the greatest. i thought 'casablanca' was a pretty decent tune.
Old 05.12.2009, 02:12 PM   #4
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
brilliant!! never heard of em and im irish!!! nice one!!!
Old 05.12.2009, 02:16 PM   #5
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
This guy has been an instant favorite of mine for pop perfection since I heard the first single "Moon Geun Yung". Two CDs were self-released over the last couple years, plus a couple 7" singles. The best of this material has been collected onto an 12" LP out now on Tic Tac Totally. He's touring right now....his second tour of the States, but his first with his own backing band.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:22 PM   #6
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULYBEE2656
brilliant!! never heard of em and im irish!!! nice one!!!

In a way he (Brian Kelly) has more ties to the bands that are part of the Shitgaze scene than what goes on in Ireland/Europe, even though he has his own individual sound. The first time I've heard So Cow was about a year ago on DJ Rick's Art For Spastics, when he played 'Shackleton', to this day my favourite song of his. If memory serves me well he also covered Deerhoof.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:30 PM   #7
sarramkrop

Shackleton is a brilliant pop song. It has a good lyrics, a great melody, a nice organ, and Kelly's voice is very good in itself. It could easily appeal to fans of Belle and Sebastian.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 02:34 PM   #8
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
This guy has been an instant favorite of mine for pop perfection since I heard the first single "Moon Geun Yung". Two CDs were self-released over the last couple years, plus a couple 7" singles. The best of this material has been collected onto an 12" LP out now on Tic Tac Totally. He's touring right now....his second tour of the States, but his first with his own backing band.
Thanks, I was wondering a while ago if he had a proper full-length out, and somehow I've never managed to check the various bistros on the internet.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.12.2009, 10:22 PM   #9
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

The live set I heard this morning is up now. Pretty rippin.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/So...Cheap_5122009/
Old 05.13.2009, 01:39 PM   #10
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
The live set I heard this morning is up now. Pretty rippin.

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/So...Cheap_5122009/

Neat.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth