Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Throbbing Gristle (photos/short review)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.29.2009, 02:39 PM   #1
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Throbbing Gristle last night:

photos:
http://www.prefixmag.com/photos/throbbing-...masonic-temple/

narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 02:48 PM   #2
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
My brother and sister are ridiculously huge TG fans. For some reason I never got into them. Well I enjoy Dimensia in Excelsis, but I never find myself going back for more listens. Genesis' shoes are pretty funny though.

I like how the little spiel reviewing the show bascially finishes it off with a one sentence review of the opening act and how boring they were.
Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:02 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Bands that reform always look... incongruous. TG do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:02 PM   #4
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for the link.

I've got tickets for both London gigs - can't wait, slugbait.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:42 PM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus

wow those shoes and stockings... wow.

clever use of attire to deflect the talk about his tits, or done to really drive the point home?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
wow those shoes and stockings... wow.

clever use of attire to deflect the talk about his tits, or done to really drive the point home?

At the risk of saying something I mean, on the internet, I genuinely hope that the sort of people who are into TG are also the sort of people who don't really mind what gender a person chooses for their self. Unfortunately, Gen seems to have become a bit of a poster-[pangender noun] for a lot of the transgendered; by which I mean, the ins and outs of Gen's personal life are less interesting than who they are as an artist.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.29.2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

I will say though, it's grammatical terrorism, what... they've done.

Quote:
Old 04.29.2009, 05:26 PM   #8
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
gristlicious
Old 04.29.2009, 06:30 PM   #9
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
they were great in SF
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2009, 06:32 PM   #10
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Mecha
I like how the little spiel reviewing the show bascially finishes it off with a one sentence review of the opening act and how boring they were.

thanks. that was my favorite part to write.

the crowd was clearly apathetic (to the point where one of the guys was visibly pissed w/ the sound guy since their sound level wasn't high enough to drown out the talking).
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 12:15 AM   #11
dntrecords
children of satan

dntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's assesdntrecords kicks all y'all's asses
hey man, emeralds are great. people weren't into it because emeralds had to finish in order for throbbing gristle to play. nobody was into the opening band in SF either, for the same reason
dntrecords is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 03:13 AM   #12
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
the ins and outs of Gen's personal life are less interesting than who they are as an artist.

I think, especially in Gens case, that the line between her as a person and him as an artist has become blurred to the point that it's almost impossible to see where one stops and the other begins.

The wo/man is a situationist genius.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 05:08 AM   #13
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i want to see them so bad, but no luck location wise. they are such a ridiculous band, i mean, thier influence stretches fucking everywhere. To this day there is rarely a Noise or any types of electronics band that doesn't make me recall them one way or another. They were more than just an Industrial band, they were way psychedelic, and also ahelluva lot looser and jazzier than thier peers, not in no way were they funky. Its crazy, even bands like Sic Alps cover them. Anyways, theyre in my top 0 for sure,l have been for a long time.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 05:09 AM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
psycedelic industrial death jazz it is.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 08:42 AM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
If you guys get a chance and have netflix, rent a dvd called monitorpop 01. It's hilarious, it has about 10 minutes of a new throbbing gristle live performance. The camera captures tons of people walking out. What strikes me is how BRIGHT the performance was and how bored they seemed, just up there pressing buttons and turning knobs as Genesis looked like he/she was about to fall asleep. Very unexpected, since TG always gets this reputation as this "dark" band, but they clearly have a great sense of humor. And obviously their music is great.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 08:45 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"emeralds played the ambient noise card and couldn't hold the attention of the audience." That's sad (though kinda funny in the context of that review)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2009, 08:53 AM   #17
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
maybe those shoes are just very comfortable.
Old 04.30.2009, 09:53 AM   #18
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
At the risk of saying something I mean, on the internet, I genuinely hope that the sort of people who are into TG are also the sort of people who don't really mind what gender a person chooses for their self.

as the proud owner of a genesis p-orridge devotional candle (purchased from satanists), I certainly don't care.

I'm having a fairly hard time getting over those socks 'n shoes though.

he's always made a freakshow of himself and these days, it's hard to be a freak without really pushing the envelope.

who knew that footwear could outshine surgery?
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2010, 02:29 PM   #19
Glice
invito al cielo

Great interview with Gen. Long and comprehensive. S/he's a fascinating persons.

Quote:
Old 10.03.2010, 07:32 PM   #20
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
tg, i never know what to make of them. one moment i like them immensely and then i aint so sure. i saw them in berlin a few years ago and from what i remember of the show i liked them a lot.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth