Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page becoming a different (better?) person
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2009, 07:17 AM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You know, I've been posting in this board for ... uh ... well, since before this board was this board and around the time the old board was the new board. So, how many years is that? Like, 7? Jesus.

Well, supposedly, your body completely changes every 7 years. Well, I've heard that a lot, in movies. I'm sure someone knows, scientifically, what I'm referring to. I'm too lazy to look it up.

Anyway, I've realized a few things this week, after months of the most stressful time in my life. And, no, certain situations in my life haven't improved, but whatever. They will eventually. Anyway:

1) I seriously need to re-evaluate my priorities in life... My friendships, what I spend my time doing, what I waste my energy on.

2) I randomly looked back on a few of my old posts and cringed. Like all that MM hating back in the day. Man, what was wrong with me? I am not a fan of their music really, but you know, they seem like okay people, they work hard, enjoy what they're doing, you know.. whatever. I never personally meant to insult them as people. I wrote them and apologized, actually, a while back, because I felt bad, but I feel even worse now, because I shouldn't waste so much time on negativity, in any way. I think my approach to things like that needs to change. Not that I won't be rude and sarcastic and bitter and such in posts.... But sometimes it's best not to say anything. I shouldn't feel the need to voice my opinion about EVERYTHING. Anyway, to any bands who have stumbled across my rants on this board, well, I apologize if you took anything I said personally, but then again you should know that criticism is fun!

3) I have realized that the things that have made me happy for years don't really make me happy anymore. I have seen just about every movie I've ever had any interest in seeing, and all the other movies I want to see are just imitations of better films I've already seen. Music is still pretty cool, but very little of it wows me; when you try to seek out the weirdest, most "avant garde" shit ever for a long time... well, I don't think there's an adequate second part of that sentence, but let me just say most of my listening for the past 3 months has been ambient records, drone records, and solo acoustic guitar records. I just can't get into a lot of that spazzy, 6436346 time changes per second stuff anymore. Not that I don't love complexity, but jesus.. I dunno. Also, I pretty much stopped playing video games!

4) I have decided I need to become a more SPIRITUAL person. People will inevitably question how I could believe in God, but I do believe. I don't believe in religion... well, I like the idea of religion to an extent, but I don't really side up with any religion in particular. I will just say that I feel like the hand of God has touched me and showed me many things. And no that isn't a drug reference...........

5) .....because I am going to give up every drug I have been doing. Which admittingly isn't much, I've experimented with a few things, but I'm done with all of it. Okay, okay, I'll take some codeine every once in a while if I feel bad (I do have back problems)... but I don't "need" to take it to be happy.

6) I think I'm going to try to eliminate every negative energy in my life. I'm going to ATTEMPT to quit cursing, to an extent. I mean, okay, in the heat of passionate sex, I may scream "oh fuck! Oh goddamn!" but nearly every other time I use such words, it's because I'm angry or expressing negativity. I want to erase that. I don't see anything wrong with those words, I just don't need to be so negative. I can express myself without saying "this fucking dicksucking bullshit sucks a fucking dick that has shit on it from where it fucked an ass." Anyway, this will be the hardest thing to accomplish.

7) I enjoy some of the music I make, but I realized years ago it'll never be successful. Not because there isn't a market for it; there certainly is, but I've had a few "big" releases where I really got my hopes up... and ultimately they don't mean shi.. Oops. Ultimately, they don't mean anything. I am glad people like what I do, and I am happier that some people LOVE what I do, and I'm going to make music to some extent for the rest of my life, but I don't really have the energy at the moment to promote my work, trying to shove it down people's throats.. and I certainly don't want to try to SELL my work.. which, I've always been very generous with free downloads, but at the same time I know that pisses off or would piss off labels that will or would or may put out my work. Sooo... maybe I should just self-release everything and put everything up for free? I mean, who cares. I dunno.

I want to sell just about everything I own except for my guitar and some of my clothes and some of my movies. I don't want to be tied down to any thing or any place. I want to go in the woods more. But the ticks and snakes scare me. That is all.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2009, 07:27 AM   #2
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Best of luck, friend.
Old 03.19.2009, 07:29 AM   #3
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Nice post.
I wish you the best of luck for any of those changes that might require some hard work (psychological or other--). SRSLY.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2009, 07:33 AM   #4
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
what you've written is so endearing, given the little of what I know of you.. You sound excited and refreshed.

I hope you find what you're looking for.
Old 03.19.2009, 07:33 AM   #5
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
here, for you, my latest semi-obsession:

Old 03.19.2009, 07:38 AM   #6
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Adam, by the way (not that some msgbrd dude's opinion matters, but...) although I started posting back on the old board (under different name) I dnt think I started talking to you until around 2007. At that time, I thought you were an arrogant prick (to be honest). But over time you became one my favorite ppl to talk to on here. A big part of that was that you seemed to change from being an arrogant prick, to being an open-minded person that was honest and genuinely excited about things. Maybe that was part of the 7-yr process (which I think by the way has to do with cells regenerating, scientifically speaking, but not sure?)
Old 03.19.2009, 07:42 AM   #7
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Haha thanks. Uhhh.. I think a lot of people find me arrogant, but I'm trying my hardest to be as honest as possible. And honesty, like humanity, is flawed... to an extent. I can't make everyone happy, so I've never really thought about the things I wrote before. But this goes with one of my points above (the "I shouldn't feel the need to express my opinion on everything" point). I will inevitably rub someone the wrong way, no matter what I say. Just my entire being is an invitation for certain people to mock or satirize. But the same could be said for almost everyone here (except PAULYBEE!).

Anyway, NR, you're one of my favorite people too. I mean, you told me about Spaceman.

Old 03.19.2009, 07:43 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haha, thanks man.
Old 03.19.2009, 07:45 AM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Oh, that goes with my point about losing interest in everything. I have seen more no-budget (almost literally $0) films in the past year that have blown my mind than high-budget films, combined, that have blown my mind in the past 5 years.

And Spaceman was one of 'em!

Old 03.19.2009, 07:51 AM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I find that sometimes you need to seek out something completely out of yr comfort zone. Like years ago I absolutely HATED Southern hip hop. But a few years ago, bored with music, I looked into it. Tried to understand it. Now I feel like it's some of the most important and interesting "folk music" being made in America today.

Sometimes you can't rule out anything. You might not like something today. But "7 yrs" from today it just might click and mean something to you.
Old 03.19.2009, 08:03 AM   #11
nicfit
invito al cielo

I think it's just a perspective effect. She has no holes on the cheek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB288GH8WF8
first makeup ruins her face, second one you (N) might like.
from 0:35 to 0:40 - I die.
Old 03.19.2009, 08:12 AM   #12
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
It's kind of the curse of someone who eat breathes and shits the creative arts like yourself that most people see them as arrogant pricks. Essentially because you soon realise without passion and conviction about these subjects there simply is no point in them. Art, music, film IS about feeling sometimes very negative towards them, because if you join those people who're as apathetic to creative stuff as we are to every other quotidian aspect of our existence, you may not be seen as an arrogant prick, but you'll never have that very personal and brilliant feeling of coming across something that actually CAN change your life. Essentially what I'm saying is by opening yourself up to being negative you in turn fully submit to music or whatever making you emotionally complete and content. So errr... yeah, don't worry about it. It's never good to think theres something 'wrong' with yourself.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2009, 08:18 AM   #13
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
You're in a process of self-realization. It's an awesome thing when it happens. I posted a bit on when it happened to me last year, when I had that utter physical/mental breakdown that lasted for a few months, and had no idea what the hell was happening. When I did finally figure it out, that knowledge by itself helped things to improve. I'm guessing your situation is more external than mine was, and may not be so receptive to my solutions. But what you posted, hell, I could post it (except number 3). Renewed spirituality is one of the biggest things I took away from the whole ordeal. Anyway...hope most, if not all, these things work out. I just don't know about the cursing thing. Heh.
Old 03.19.2009, 08:56 AM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

strangely, it's this sort of "self-searching" that has me watching movies like Top Gun and listening to music from different countries, etc, etc.
Old 03.19.2009, 09:01 AM   #15
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i agree with jenn & nefeli, and the others too
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2009, 09:44 AM   #16
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
(resident science nerd here)

All of our bodies cell's are constantly being replaced, except for our brain cells. (our brain cells can regrow, but they are not actively replaced like every other part of our body). Every single blood cell you carry inside you will be gone and replaced by a new blood cell created in yr bone marrow, every 6-7 WEEKS. Every muscle/skin/nerve cell in your body will also replace itself at a rate between 8 weeks to 3 months. The physical, corporeal YOU that sits at the computer today is not the same YOU that sat there half a year ago, LITERALLY. many of the atoms in our cells are re-used or re-absorbed and used for other purposes, but many are lost in our sweat, exhalations, piss, shit, sloughed off skin (each human sloughs off 2-4 POUNDS of material every single DAY, hair and skin cells mostly). 90% of the dust in your home comes from the human cells.

rob's a nerd
Old 03.19.2009, 09:48 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
for real though. you are railing against personal stagnation and that is always a good, and sometimes traumatic, thing.
shake shit up. Mix it up.
sometimes it is not the details of your life you need to change but your inner script, the inner "filter" by which you experience everything n the universe.

Best of luck man.
Old 03.19.2009, 09:52 AM   #18
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
(resident science nerd here)

All of our bodies cell's are constantly being replaced, except for our brain cells. (our brain cells can regrow, but they are not actively replaced like every other part of our body). Every single blood cell you carry inside you will be gone and replaced by a new blood cell created in yr bone marrow, every 6-7 WEEKS. Every muscle/skin/nerve cell in your body will also replace itself at a rate between 8 weeks to 3 months. The physical, corporeal YOU that sits at the computer today is not the same YOU that sat there half a year ago, LITERALLY. many of the atoms in our cells are re-used or re-absorbed and used for other purposes, but many are lost in our sweat, exhalations, piss, shit, sloughed off skin (each human sloughs off 2-4 POUNDS of material every single DAY, hair and skin cells mostly). 90% of the dust in your home comes from the human cells.

rob's a nerd

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.
Old 03.19.2009, 10:54 AM   #19
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

great replies, thanks everyone.

Old 03.19.2009, 11:02 AM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hloly shit man, you're growing up. congratulations.

regarding the spirituality + "getting rid of negativity" -- good goal but don't get any illusions-- we all have "negativity" but the goal is not to get rid of it like one would disinfect an operating room, but rather to use it as a fertilizer of sorts.

i can't explain this very well much less on the interwebs but before you embark in a quest for purification that could get crazy, check out this book.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Book-Hu.../dp/0062548476

trust me, it's pretty good. best wishes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth