Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Sukiyaki Western Django
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.24.2008, 12:51 PM   #1
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Has anybody seen this yet? Is it good?

It's looks awesome, but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2008, 12:57 PM   #2
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a huge fan of the original Django - I plan to watch this but my hopes aren't high.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 08:28 AM   #3
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Think this is on Atsonicpark's movies last watched list, heres Japan Times review -

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0070914a1.html

Not too keen on Tarantino these days..
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2008, 10:54 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I watched this last Thursday. It's decent. What did I give it, a 6 or 7? It's good enough, has some nice artful direction, especially at the beginning and end. I dunno. Not anything special but definitely watchable. Ranks somewhere in the middle as far as Miike films go. Tarantino is awful in it of course but he's not in it very long.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.01.2008, 08:38 AM   #5
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Just watched this Friday. IMO, it was excellent.

It seemed to start off slow; not a lot going on, and when things did happen, you weren't sure why they were happening because you were dropped into the middle of the story. Then again, this is very typical of westerns (or at least spaghetti westerns, the only kind I have really watched; I'm not a fan of the John Wayne sort).

I also enjoyed the surreal quality of the movie, and not only the intentionally surreal parts. Just the fact that it was a japanese imitation of spaghetti westerns -which themselves are italian imitations of american westerns -gave it a unique feel. While it's true that usually a copy of a copy produces a shoddy product (if you don't know what I mean, try it with your house key and see if you can get inside your home with the final key), if done right, like it was with this movie, you can have a finished version of a film that makes you feel like you are watching a bizarre dream after a marathon of Clint Eastwood movies and bad sushi.
Old 12.01.2008, 09:08 AM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I thought it started amazing and ended amazing but the middle was decent at best. The extremely surreal parts were the best part, as is usual for Miike films.. The Japanese actors speaking in English the entire time annoyed me. But, again, that's Miike for you. Also, the whole thing was too long... AGAIN, that's Miike. Haha. I've seen something like 40 of his films (and that doesnt count his tv shows!), so it didn't blow my mind or anything. But I can see how someone would love it.. to me, it ranks somewhere in the middle as far as Miike films go. Could've been better.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Old 12.01.2008, 09:20 AM   #7
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I thought it started amazing and ended amazing but the middle was decent at best. The extremely surreal parts were the best part, as is usual for Miike films.. The Japanese actors speaking in English the entire time annoyed me. But, again, that's Miike for you. Also, the whole thing was too long... AGAIN, that's Miike. Haha. I've seen something like 40 of his films (and that doesnt count his tv shows!), so it didn't blow my mind or anything. But I can see how someone would love it.. to me, it ranks somewhere in the middle as far as Miike films go. Could've been better.

Glad you enjoyed it!

I'm not too familiar with his work, so I may not have a proper reference when it comes to judging his stuff, but I did love it.

And you are right, it did start out amazing, with the stage play effect of the opening scene. I was more alluding to the story, not knowing what was going on, then the style. And as I mentioned, this seems to be very typical of spaghetti westerns, to drop you in the middle of the story and give you bits and pieces throughout to catch you up, so it's no surprise that he used the same technique in this film.
Old 12.28.2008, 06:58 PM   #8
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Just saw it, I enjoyed it. Tarantino however is terrible. AT least as the old man.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2008, 07:02 PM   #9
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

He's just kinda terrible, period. Even his best movie (Reservoir Dogs) is a City on Fire ripoff.

The only thing I really respect Tarantino for is Rolling Thunder Pictures, which brought Sonatine, Hardcore Logo, Chungking Express, Mighty Peking Man, the Beyond, and a few other great films to American theaters...

Old 12.28.2008, 07:54 PM   #10
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
He's just kinda terrible, period. Even his best movie (Reservoir Dogs) is a City on Fire ripoff.

The only thing I really respect Tarantino for is Rolling Thunder Pictures, which brought Sonatine, Hardcore Logo, Chungking Express, Mighty Peking Man, the Beyond, and a few other great films to American theaters...

I wish Rolling Thunder itself would be released on DVD.

My favourite Tarantino film is Reservoir Dogs too, in fact it's the only one that I like apart from Kill Bill Vol. 1.
I know people say he ripped-off City On Fire, and, in terms of the plot, it's true but I think Reservoir Dogs is far, far superior: the acting (actors), dialogue, music... It's just so more entertaining to me.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2008, 08:00 PM   #11
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Right, I love Reservoir Dogs. I would just completely write it off for being a ripoff.... but it's too good! I think it has some amazing dialog and performances and was brilliantly directed. Harvey Keitel steals the show.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth