Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Just got EJSTNS
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.09.2006, 06:42 PM   #1
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
So I went to best Buy with my sis to buy an ipod cause she lost her old one and it turns out that her dumbass had left it there for repairs. Instead she ended up buying me some cds because I fixed her computer yesterday. I got washing machine and EJSTNS. I already had Washing Machine but it was a burned copy that I got from a friend so I got the real thing just to have it. But I have never listened to EJSTNS. What are your guys' opinions on it? I'm going to listen now. Later.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I've never listened to that one much at all either. It seems to be one of the less discussed ones. Gotta love siblings that do that though, my brother just bought me "Isn't anything" by My Bloody Valentine since I'm converting all his Itunes songs to MP3.
Old 06.09.2006, 06:48 PM   #3
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like it.
Old 06.09.2006, 07:03 PM   #4
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Neither do I.
Their worst release.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 07:32 PM   #5
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
You guys are fucking insane. It's a great album. One of the first SY releases that I put in my collection.
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 07:49 PM   #6
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
as a whole album, it's a bit weak. but there are some great songs ("Screaming Skull" is one of my favorite SY tracks).
Old 06.09.2006, 07:52 PM   #7
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
So far it's really good. I can hear Sister in between songs like some people say. After "Bull" I heard Catholic Block. I actually like all of Sonic Youth's albums. There are none that I don't like. For example, I thin NYCGF is there most beautiful album. Some of them had to grow on me though but I didn't dislike them before they grew on me, I just didn't listen to them because I wasn't into them.
Old 06.09.2006, 07:53 PM   #8
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
It's my favorite CD. I really have only been a fan for a couple years, and it was the first conscious SY album I bought. The first was Dirty, and I didn't really know who they were when I bought it. After I got used to them I didn't know what to buy next, so I bought EJTNS - because of picture on the back, of all reasons; it gave it a very raw look. It was the CD that really got me into them

I just now finally picked up Goo and I'm digging that right now. Awesome liner pics. I've been stalling, telling myself that I'm going to wait until I have the money for the Deluxe. Now that I have the money, even though I've heard the demos are even better, I don't want to spend $30 on it. I'd feel the need to buy the original anyway, so I'll hold off on all the Deluxe stuff til I get a well-paying job. But I'm slowly completing the collection, only a few more to go.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 07:54 PM   #9
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Augh, what was I thinking. I have this one. I got confused by the long abbreviation and was thinking NYCG&F. I love EJS. Screaming Skull, Winners blues, Sweet Shine, Androgynous Mind, and one of my fav's Doctor's Orders is all on EJS. There's no way that I think this is a weaker album at all.
Old 06.09.2006, 08:17 PM   #10
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
It's my favorite CD. I really have only been a fan for a couple years, and it was the first conscious SY album I bought. The first was Dirty, and I didn't really know who they were when I bought it. After I got used to them I didn't know what to buy next, so I bought EJTNS - because of picture on the back, of all reasons; it gave it a very raw look. It was the CD that really got me into them

I just now finally picked up Goo and I'm digging that right now. Awesome liner pics. I've been stalling, telling myself that I'm going to wait until I have the money for the Deluxe. Now that I have the money, even though I've heard the demos are even better, I don't want to spend $30 on it. I'd feel the need to buy the original anyway, so I'll hold off on all the Deluxe stuff til I get a well-paying job. But I'm slowly completing the collection, only a few more to go.

Yeah, I've only been a fan for about a year and a half now. I got into them in late '04 when a friend let me borrow Daydream Nation, Sister, and Dirty. I didn't get into them right away since my ears were not used to indie/non-traditional music. I did like Teenage Riot, but who wouldn't? A few months later I was into cooler music and I pulled them out again and they became my favorite band. I acquired the rest of their albums, except the 2 I just got, in about a month through online shopping and borrowing. Now I only need A Thousand Leaves to have all of the Geffen releases.
Old 06.09.2006, 09:08 PM   #11
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
A really good record in my opinion but I can understand how people say it's weak. I love these songs: winner's blues, bull in the heather, screaming skull, skink, self-obsessed and sexee, doctor's orders, bone and sweet shine.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 09:20 PM   #12
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
Its definitely one of my least favorite SY albums, but its still a decent album. It definitely has its strong and weak areas, and unfortunately there seems to be more weak than strong, making it overall hard to sit through sometimes.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 09:31 PM   #13
supersonicsix
little trouble girl

supersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of lightsupersonicsix is a glorious beacon of light
i looove it. i think the Kim songs are fantastic, the Thurston ones aren't great (I HATED Winners Blues when i first heard it, now i can sit through it without wanting to vomit) but, on balance, i quite EJST&NS.
supersonicsix is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 10:10 PM   #14
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

I finished it and I listened to some of the songs again. A lot of the songs are really short but there are no songs that I dislike. It sounds punkier than other SY albums. Winner's Blues was kind of weird to listen to because it was an acoustic SY song.
Old 06.09.2006, 10:17 PM   #15
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, Sonik Jesus, always good to have another EJSTNS fan. Don't listen to the naysayers. It may not be thier best album, but come on, some people just trash this album a little too much if you ask me. Yeah, its kind of short, to me it kind of has a bluesy feel to it. I love the album.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 10:20 PM   #16
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I preferred it to Washing Machine for a long time. The dynamic interplay of the guitars, & the stripped-down & varied structures are really appealing.

Bone, Androgynous Mind, Doctor's Orders>Tokyo Eye & Sweet Shine are fabulous. Bull in the Heather is perhaps their most radio-friendly single besides maybe The Empty Page, but yet Bull also retains a more noticeable element of (although still catchy) delightfully wack wackiness.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 10:51 PM   #17
umjammer atomsk
the end of the ugly

umjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's assesumjammer atomsk kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand the mainstream appeal of bull in the heather. Is it just the catchiness or what? Somebody help me.

umjammer atomsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 11:05 PM   #18
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I wouldn't think Bull in the Heather appealed to the mainstream either. But I know it was predicted to be even before it was released, because the bio was written during the making of it, and the author said it would be the closest thing to a single on the CD. I don't really see how, though. Especially on a CD with other relatively mainstream songs on it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2006, 11:40 PM   #19
quelle_nightmare
empty page

quelle_nightmare ain't too shabby
I really don't get why so many people hate EJSTNS...It's one of my favourite albums and has been since I got it. It's such a moment album - I remember so much because of it.
quelle_nightmare is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2006, 12:18 AM   #20
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
...well, their biggest hit single to date is 100% actually & their bestselling album is Dirty...it was primarily Bull in the Heather though that made EJST&NS their highest charting outing.

The funny thing about this post is I googled "Sonic Youth album sales" to make sure I was correct & found the recent thread that I had missed about the subject & found my confirmation of what I already thought to be the case there.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth