Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page If you are going to buy a christmas single, this is the one.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2007, 08:55 AM   #1
sarramkrop

It is tipped to be number one too. It's by ex-Arab Strap Malcolm Middleton, and you can listen to it on his myspace.

RELEASE: "We’re All Going To Die" Single released 17th December 2007 on Full Time Hobby Bah, humbug. Merry bleeding Christmas. If you share your feelings for the festive period with Ebeneezer Scrooge, The Grinch and that girl off Gremlins whose dad got stuck in the chimney, then you’ll love Malcolm Middleton’s bid for the coveted 2007 Christmas number one spot. Putting him in direct competition with this years X Factor winner and the Spice Girls, William Hill have given Malcolm odds of 1000/1 in what the bookmakers say is 'the longest ever odds we’ve given on a Christmas number 1!' The title of the single is We’re All Going To Die. You won’t find any sleigh bells on We’re All Going To Die. Neither will you find a choir of angelic children singing. But, in a way, you will find a message of hope and goodwill for all, as Malcolm explains. “Although at first seemingly negative, the song is intended to make people think about being alive and making the most of our time here, which to me are your generic ‘Xmas’ themes.” Taken from Middleton’s third solo album, A Brighter Beat, We’re All Going To Die explodes with electronic arpeggios and a chugging beat. Best of all is the chorus, which repeats the titular statement with such joie de vivre that you actually end up feeling quite good about it. “Christmas is the best time for a song like this to be released into the mainstream consciousness, especially now in 2007,” continues Malcolm. “People don't want to be lied to by Cliff Richards any more. It's maybe time they were told what's really waiting for them inside their Christmas stockings.” Christmas has already given Middleton food for thought – see the tragic Burst Noel on 2005’s Into The Woods for proof. And of course, some people will fail to see the positives in Malcolm’s message, drizzled as it is in neurotic thoughts. But then, it would do us all good to think a bit more like Malcolm sometimes. “Dying is a bit like writing a letter to Santa,” he says, brilliantly. “Unless you've been a good boy or girl, you're fucked.” To support his bid for the Christmas number one slot, Malcolm will be appearing on Colin Murray’s Christmas Special, to be broadcast on 17 December on Radio One. Malcolm will perform four live tracks and present listeners with an alternative Xmas.

http://www.myspace.com/malcolmmiddleton
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2007, 06:42 PM   #2
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
The top 40 on Christmas day should be made up entirely of Arab Strap songs

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2007, 01:09 PM   #3
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
christmas no.1 has always been about fun and good times for the kids especially, so what is it about christmas that makes these depressed souls want to spread their disease?

Think about it, you wake up on Xmas day, noone to open presents with, only a half finished bottle of whisky under the tree, the memories of another year of crushing alienation and lonliness hanging from its branches, and you switch on the radio... what do you want to hear?

"I wiish it could be Christmas every daaaaaaaaay"
or
"It was the biggest cock youd ever seen"

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Even though it's little Malcy from the Strap, Christmas songs have always been, and ever shall be, cock. This includes the Pogues, Low, V/VM. Christmas records = cock. Remember this equation, and ask for the Girls Aloud record in you stocking. I'm going out to buy it now, as it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2007, 08:00 AM   #5
Confucious is sex
bad moon rising

Confucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's assesConfucious is sex kicks all y'all's asses
It's not a Christmas record, DUH, that's the whole point.
Old 11.25.2007, 08:13 AM   #6
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confucious is sex
It's not a Christmas record, DUH, that's the whole point.

Ah, but the selling point is that it's not a Christmas record which is being sold at Christmas.

It's analogous to the placement of a comma in the following two statements:

"Fugazi don't do any interviews to sell records"
"Fugazi don't do any interviews, to sell records"

I should mention that Elvis' version of Blue Christmas is my favourite Christmas record.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.25.2007, 01:27 PM   #7
sarramkrop

You bore me to death. You do. I blame the response on myself, mind.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2007, 01:55 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
You bore me to death. You do. I blame the response on myself, mind.

You write for Vice magazine.

Quote:
Old 11.25.2007, 03:37 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sort of hoping that Girls Aloud release something staggering, but it does look as though Rhydian's gonna unleash a double show-tune whammy that shoots straight to no.1.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.25.2007, 03:39 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Girls Aloud ... record ...buy

Any good?
Old 11.25.2007, 05:23 PM   #11
Glice
invito al cielo

I actually ended up buying booze. However, I'm going to [chain supermarket] at some point this week, I'll get it then.

NB - buying CDs in chain supermarkets destroys proper music sales, which is why you should only buy proper commercial nonsense from supermarkets. I love Girls Aloud, but it's not them so much as their music machine that I love.

Quote:
Old 11.25.2007, 07:48 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Girls Aloud's 'Call the Shots', so good it almost matches this, almost:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oBUT0cxtHlg

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth