Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page US Bottom-Tier Shoppers Too Poor To Shop
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.09.2016, 08:39 PM   #1
Robert Schunk
the end of the ugly

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
The retail chain discussed in the article below, Walmart, is roughly equivalent to Britain's Tesco, and caters to the bottom tier of the US consumer market. Most people on fixed incomes, such as myself, are completely dependent upon Walmart for basic necessities such as food. Part of the "flat income levels" to which the article refers is the fact that Social Security recipients did not get our usual cost-of-living increase this year, as prices keep rising. Just prior to finding this article, I bought groceries at my local Walmart (just an easily walkable half-mile from my building), and was shocked by the recently raised prices (some greater than 25%) and decreased selection, just over the past week.

Read the original article here:

Walmart's customers are too broke to shop
By Hayley Peterson

Walmart is facing a "perfect storm" that's hurting its sales growth, according to Moody's.
The company's core customers are struggling with flat income levels, and savings from lower fuel prices aren't translating into more retail spending, Moody's vice president, Charles O'Shea, wrote in a note to clients on Wednesday.
The business is also under
pressure from deflation in key product categories, such as food, and the
effects of the strong dollar abroad.
"Walmart is facing an almost
perfect storm when it comes to top-line growth," O'Shea wrote. "Until
the health of the lower-to-middle-income consumer improves, Walmart will
continue to face macroeconomic headwinds in the US."
Walmart said last month that it's expecting virtually no sales growth in the coming fiscal year.
The company had previously projected growth of 3% to 4% for the year,
but lowered its guidance last month citing the impact of
the strengthening US dollar. The company's share price has lost about 16% of its value over the last 12 months.
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2016, 09:16 AM   #2
tesla69
invito al cielo

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
I used to ask my bosses if they kept offshoring all the jobs, who would be left to buy anything. They would just look worried and could not really answer. They knew I was right, but needed their jobs.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2016, 09:52 AM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Ahh the flaw in Reaganomics. If workers can't afford to buy all the crap how will exploitative businesses stay in business?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2016, 09:52 AM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
People crying about minimum wage going up, its same thing. When 16% of employees at Wal-Mart receive foodstamps something is wrong here.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2016, 03:21 PM   #5
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
universal basic income is the only solution because automation is going to take all those jobs and the unions will ultimately LOSE if they try to fight it
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.01.2016, 04:25 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hi!

i'm the bottom tier

no problems here
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2016, 09:02 AM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses

I play low tier!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2016, 09:18 AM   #8
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
hi!

i'm the bottom tier

no problems here

this is because of your ninja cooking skills were you can make a weeks worth of food from a few dollars
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2016, 10:11 AM   #9
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
this is because of your ninja cooking skills were you can make a weeks worth of food from a few dollars

and his clever mind is able to use the rotten food to grow mushrooms. Symbols creates no waste. He even uses his own poop as fertilizer.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2016, 10:18 AM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_battery
nothing ninja about it, i strive for simplicity and minimal labor. no fancy cookin' here.

i actually consciously cultivate poverty. where consumer culture promotes acquisition and aspirational spending ("more more more" and "this cool brand represents me"), i try to be anti-aspirational, reduce my consumption, and shed possessions.

i recently changed back from electric toothbrushes to regular ones. research shows that they work the same as long as you pay attention and take your time. so i pay attention and take my time. save money and trash.

this practice gives me a huge financial independence. the less i need money the happier i am. i'm bad for the economy.

the other thing is that the market is always changing and not fixed. of course supply and demand are constantly fluctuating. this is normal. to expect things to always be the same is like expecting that the weather is going to be the same every day. buy low, get high. ha ha ha.

in my local walmart i can buy 5lbs (~2.25kg) of potatoes for a buck. THAT'S A DOLLAR. that's less than a little pocket of macshit french fries, right? ha ha ha.

it's a pity i don't like russets more. they make nice hash browns and superb french fries and are good bakers. as it is right now i'm on a kick of red boilers which make nice salads though. so i have to pay $3 for the 5lb bag instead. 300% MORE OOOO I'M BROKE. groceries are free of sales tax in my state. restaurants aren't.

well i have to go get another gallon of milk which recently went from $2 to $2.80. 40% increase! with some yogurt culture it makes for a lot of breakfasts. for some reason the cheese blocks have stayed at the same price so i'll keep enjoying quesadillas whenever i don't have time to make a proper meal. a 5lb bag of organic carrots was $3.26 last week. that's a fuckton of carrots to eat as lazy snacks for less than a 12-pack of coca-colas.

ninja sword:

well, later off to the library to see if they got that delillo book everyone is talking about because i bought a massive hammock for the summer and the hammock needs to eat.

=====

ETA:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
able to use the rotten food to grow mushrooms.

i DEFINITELY want to grow mushrooms!! fuck yeah. saw a nice hippy documentary about them the other day. i'll look into that maybe for teh winter. viva la descomposición.
Old 06.02.2016, 11:37 AM   #11
tesla69
invito al cielo

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
nothing ninja about it, i strive for simplicity and minimal labor. no fancy cookin' here..

Diet for a Small Planet had a recipe to make yogurt at home with dried milk, I need to find that. Store yogurt is getting really expensive, and there is the current fetish for "greek" yogurt which is even more expensive.
Old 06.02.2016, 12:21 PM   #12
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I don't ever shop at Wal-Mart. Never. Not even when I was underemployed and living in the city.

This might just mean that I'm stupid, because I've never been rich, and even at my highest income, I was barely middle class. But I can't be in that place. It's depressing and it makes me feel sick.

I'd rather count my coins and buy real food from respectable grocers than have a few extra bucks in my pocket and eat shit. I will go to Wal-Mary if and only if I need something (like an air filter or a headlight) and NOBODY else has it. I will not buy food there.

One of the only good parts about summer coming 'round is that farmers markets and community gardens will be up and running all over the place.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.02.2016, 02:00 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Diet for a Small Planet had a recipe to make yogurt at home with dried milk, I need to find that. Store yogurt is getting really expensive, and there is the current fetish for "greek" yogurt which is even more expensive.

[yogurt + old tshirt + gravity]*12hours = greek yogurt + acid whey

you can use the whey for "whey lemonade" (add a bit of honey), to soak beans, or to add to baked goods

i don't know about making yogurt from dry milk because dry milk is nonfat, which makes for shitty-ass yogurt texture. i use whole milk and wouldn't go below 2%.

this is the easiest way to make yogurt i swear, no thermometer required (i have a thermometer but gave it up)

1) heat up your milk (1qt to 1 gallon) in a thick-bottom pot at a low fire. COVERED so you don't get mega-scum (scum forms due to different temp between hot milk and cool air)

2) the milk will have scalded when it's got a thick foam on top but hasn't boiled yet. a low fire helps here so that it won't suddenly overboil.

3) pour your scalded milk into a clean GLASS container. can be a crock, a pitcher, a mason jar, whatever. this sterilizes the jar. close it/cover it.

4) inoculate the milk when the temperature is still hot but warm to the touch. that means you can hold the jar in your hands and it feels hot but doesn't burn. if it burns it's too hot.

for the inoculation you can use:
-an envelope of direct-set yogurt culture (i use yogourmet)
-an heirloom yogurt culture like those they sell at culturesforHEALTH.com
-last week's yogurt (i use 1/2 cup for 1 gallon)
-a small container of plain yogurt (i hear dannon is good)

direct set/ commercial yogurts will carry on a few batches like a sourdough, but eventually get a little weird. heirloom cultures can go on indefinitely however (as they have for millennia) if you keep them well.

5) incubate in a warm place, like an oven with the light on. for a mild yogurt, 4 hours should do for one quart. because the culture grows exponentially, a gallon should be ready in about 5-6 hours. but that's for mild. for a tart and fully lactose-free yogurt, leave it longer. i sometimes leave it 18 hours out if i can't get it really warm.

6) EAT.

notes: this doesn't need any kind of high-tech shit. yogurt has been fermented since before we had science. throw your fear out of the window and fuck around with your recipe until it works for you.
Old 06.02.2016, 02:11 PM   #14
tesla69
invito al cielo

Quote:
5) incubate in a warm place, like an oven with the light on. for a mild yogurt, 4 hours should do for one quart. because the culture grows exponentially, a gallon should be ready in about 5-6 hours. but that's for mild. for a tart and fully lactose-free yogurt, leave it longer. i sometimes leave it 18 hours out if i can't get it really warm. .

I wonder if the pilot light in my gas oven is too warm? I sliced and dried some local strawberries last week in the oven with only the pilot to use in my home made muesli - but I ate them before I could make the cereal (which came out great).

Its kind of cool to think all these yoghurt and sourdough cultures go back millenia, if I understand them right.

This recipe uses the dry milk method.
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/yogurt.htm
Old 06.02.2016, 02:12 PM   #15
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don't ever shop at Wal-Mart. Never. Not even when I was underemployed and living in the city.

This might just mean that I'm stupid, because I've never been rich, and even at my highest income, I was barely middle class. But I can't be in that place. It's depressing and it makes me feel sick.

I'd rather count my coins and buy real food from respectable grocers than have a few extra bucks in my pocket and eat shit. I will go to Wal-Mary if and only if I need something (like an air filter or a headlight) and NOBODY else has it. I will not buy food there.

One of the only good parts about summer coming 'round is that farmers markets and community gardens will be up and running all over the place.

these might just be classist prejudices about shopping where the poors do.

it's "depressing" because buying there means you're one of them. therefore not "respectable."

and as we know in america, due to the calvinist heritage of puritanism, and who knows what else, being poor is the ultimate shame and therefore depressing.

whereas in catholic countries the poor still have their dignity, and beggars will insult you to your face.

i read in the news that some italian chef tried making some traditional dish vegan and tried feeding it to the homeless. the homeless walked out in disgust and declared they'd rather starve to death than to eat that shit.

ha ha ha ha ha ha! that's what i'm talking about. "i may be homeless, but i draw the line." you could say the same of your refusal to shop at walmart, but that's middle class dignity-- your line is "higher"

anyway, i embrace my proletarian essence with gusto. i look for the best deal. don't give 2 fucks about my image. i can get barilla pasta at $1.38 per box i buy it there. irish butter for $3 a pack, fuck yes. there's better produce in other stores however, so i use those too--but that's besides the point. walmart has awesome deals and they're masters of the supply chain.

amazon has worse labor practices than walmart, yet nobody is ashamed of buying from them because of their techno-cachet.

so--if you buy from amazon but shun walmart you might be a pearl-clutching a limousine liberal-- no offense meant to you personally, just looking at irrational behaviors. hanging on to ideas of social status is how people get caught in steel traps, debts, and wage slavery.

n.b: vonnegut has this awesome monologue in mother night where the nazi propagandist compares the american poor to the british poor in discussing their behavior in prison camps. 10,000 bonus points to whoever copypastes it here. IT'S FUCKING GENIUS.
Old 06.02.2016, 02:25 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
I wonder if the pilot light in my gas oven is too warm?

if it's too warm (might be in summer but not winter, etc) just crack open the door or move the jar to a cooler oven corner etc.

ideally 115F is the right temp (same as yeast) but it wil work possibly as low as 80F and just take longer. over 120-130 though your culture might die.

THE OTHER option is to get yourself some kefir cultures that work at room temp, or some scandinavian yogurts which do as well and are interesting-- no scalding required, no heat-- just inoculate and wait. hilariously easy.

--

thanks for that recipe, i'll check it out

--

ETA: read it, it's the basic yogurt, just made with powdered milk but trust me whole milk will make the nicest. i once made yogurt from skim milk and had to feed that weird slurry to teh dogs.
Old 06.02.2016, 02:49 PM   #17
tesla69
invito al cielo

Quote:
i
ideally 115F is the right temp (same as yeast) but it wil work possibly as low as 80F and just take longer. over 120-130 though your culture might die.
... i once made yogurt from skim milk and had to feed that weird slurry to teh dogs.

hmm..."weird slurry" - that would describe some of the yoghurt I've had in the past, usually after I scooped some out and the whey settles in the scoop, and the I remix it all up again. I seem to think I usually get some kind of lofat, but the Brown Cow in my fridge is definitely not.

The big greek yoghurt factory upstate NY has serious issues dealing with the whey - which is very healthy - they can't dump it and the farmers have had enough of it - pigs can only take so much of it. They're trying to promote a commercial wheymonlade as you mentioned.

Someone once said yoghurt is just a very expensive glass of milk,. but thats not true, there is something about fermented food =- pickles, kimchee,etc - that are very healthy for our digestion, which then leads to better physical and mental health.
Old 06.02.2016, 02:58 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

YES about ferments.

it's a long subject to discuss but you *must* read THE ART OF FERMENTATION by the great nature wizard SANDOR KATZ.

BIOPHILIA, BABY

mushrooms are my next frontier. oh yeah.
Old 06.02.2016, 03:31 PM   #19
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ETA SORRY I FUCKED UP ABOVE

it's not "culturesforchange" it's CULTURES FOR HEALTH

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/sta...t-starter.html

+

these are the nordic cultures that a) need no heatup, b) are reusable

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/hei...-starters.html

WHERE IS MORTTE??? tell us about this viili, filmjölk & piimä business!
Old 06.14.2016, 01:28 PM   #20
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Went to the local Walrats yesterday and it was full of poors buying coca colas and Doritos and all sorts of that 7-11 type shit, just in large packages.

The produce section was also busy though.

I found a 15lb bag of red potatoes for... 5 bucks! That's 30 cents a pound. Damn, I will go broke or starve to death at this rate.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth