Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Lets talk about Confusion is sex!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.26.2010, 02:13 AM   #61
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
http://confusion.leighmarble.com/

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 02:20 AM   #62
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, that's the one.

I don't have a problem with the holes, but the shrinking i can't stand.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 02:20 AM   #63
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I fell asleep listening to "Sonic Death" (not uncommon) the other day, but I had set it on 'repeat' somehow so it just played over and over while I slept... Lee's behind-the-bridge string picking during the outro of "She's in a Bad Mood" became heavily incorporated into this dream I was having, where I was walking through town and became aware of some kind of power station tower (which does actually exist) that caused the air to visibly and audibly vibrate with some type of electro-magnetism while that riff played over and over...basically this loud whirring hum was actually penetrating my dream as if it were audible on the city street and people just accepted it...hard to explain but legitimately terrifying. Some days I think that may be my favorite Sonic Youth song.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 02:26 AM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
That's amazing, Chris.

Sonic Death is amazing -- one of my favorite SY releases... I can't imagine falling asleep to it.. though the two worst things to fall asleep to are Confusion (if you fall asleep in the beginning, that is, and are woke up by "I WANNA BE YOUR DOG" in track 3) and Experimental, Jet Set, etc (the hidden track).

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 06:21 AM   #65
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ oh god I remember first hearing that secret track on EJSTNS and it freaked me out. I blasting it and when it finally came it was super loud so I turned down the volume. but since they mess with the volume on that track it just had me turning the volume up and down.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 10:49 AM   #66
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I bought EVOL and Bad Moon Rising vinyls 1993. I thought I try to search Confusion -vinyl, but then I thought (maybe 1994, it was after Experimental jet set) it was very difficult to find it on vinyl, so I ordered sst Cd from some musicshop. I was quite suprised when first song was Bad Mood. There had been Sonic Youth discography in finnish music magazine and there was said Inhuman is first song, then world look red and the last is Shaking hell. And in the cd back was also this order. I thought there had happened some mistake when they put it on the cd. Then I got (maybe 1999) Blast first re-release vinyl and there was also same order than cd! But with these pages I have noticed that there is correct order in the cd.

My opinion is that Confusion is very great album, but not as great as EVOL and Sister for example. I thought they were then searchin their style and found it in EVOL. But confusion is still so full of energy that there hasnīt been that much in Sonic Youth after that. Maybe their young age in that time is some reason to that?

My favorite songs from Confusion: Bad Mood (Itīs very hard to me imagine better start from album), Freezer/I wanna, Shaking Hell, Inhuman, World looks red, Confusion is next.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.26.2010, 02:42 PM   #67
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
If you ever wondered why the tracklist begins with Inhuman, it's because on the original LP, the label of side one had a picture of the cover, and the label of side two had the tracklist of side 2 labelled "this:", followed by the tracklist of side 1 labelled "that:" - but when they copied this for the CD, they eliminated the 'this' and 'that' identifiers but left the track list in side 2/side 1 order.

Fascinating eh?
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 11.27.2010, 03:00 AM   #68
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
If you ever wondered why the tracklist begins with Inhuman, it's because on the original LP, the label of side one had a picture of the cover, and the label of side two had the tracklist of side 2 labelled "this:", followed by the tracklist of side 1 labelled "that:" - but when they copied this for the CD, they eliminated the 'this' and 'that' identifiers but left the track list in side 2/side 1 order.

Fascinating eh?

Some may think this is very boring, but I love the details that is associated with rock music!

But into my question about that tracklist: Do you mean that in the original album Inhuman is first song on the second side? Because in my blast first re-release itīs the last song of first side and world looks red is first song in the second side. That also confused me a little bit when I got the vinyl.
Old 11.27.2010, 03:03 AM   #69
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

By the way, on my re-release there is picture of the cover on the both sides labels and there is no track list at all, not even in the cover or paper bag. I took a copy of the cd:s gatefold before I sold the cd away.
Old 11.27.2010, 03:46 AM   #70
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
When I first bought this record I didn't like it at all, and didn't listen to it for years, so my vinyl copy of it was in pretty good conditions until about 3 years ago, when it suddenly hit me how great this record is.
The day I bought it I remember very well because I was expecting a whole batch of the earliest SY records arriving at my friend's record shop, so I skipped college and made my way there in the
morning, where we'd often spend time talking crap and listening to new arrivals. After I left his shop, on my home, I decided to make my way to another friend's house with the records in tow, and sat down in the basement of her house, where she'd make clothes and hats to sell at various local events. Since I couldn't wait to put a SY record on, plus she was into them herself, I put Confusion is Sex on and sat down drinking beer. In retrospect I can understand why it didn't grab me at first, at the time I was really into bands like Neubauten, so this badly recorded mess playing on a not so decent turntable failed to make an impression on me that it took me 15 years to get rid of. And I'm glad I did.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2010, 01:23 PM   #71
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2010, 05:40 PM   #72
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
One of my all-time favorite albums. I will never forget the first time I heard Inhuman, it blew my fucking mind. The album as a whole makes me think of abandoned places and smoke-filled underground clubs. CIS (+ Kill yr Idols) probably opened my mind for a darker kind of music. It played a major role in my musical evolution. It is partly responsible for me getting into good old Post-Punk and furthermore into Goth-Rock.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.27.2010, 07:04 PM   #73
Chris Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Some may think this is very boring, but I love the details that is associated with rock music!

But into my question about that tracklist: Do you mean that in the original album Inhuman is first song on the second side? Because in my blast first re-release itīs the last song of first side and world looks red is first song in the second side. That also confused me a little bit when I got the vinyl.

Yeah, that's a good point...for answers to these questions and more, I would take a look here:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp1.html

Or I could answer them now, since I have the Blast First edition too, and you're right, the labels are just the cover of the album - it's the original Neutral vinyl that has the 'this/that' I mentioned above. "World Looks Red" is the first song on my side 2 as well, but some/all Zensor pressings have "Inhuman" as the first song on side 2 (and I can only assume the Neutral versions do as well, given the label...but I don't know!).
Old 11.27.2010, 07:11 PM   #74
Chris Lawrence

I'll mention this here because I see I haven't gotten around to adding it on the site yet, but while the album cover is indeed taken from a very early SY gig poster, that poster is a modification of an earlier Arcadians poster and you can still see part of Dog Eat Dog's name where they scratched it out and later wrote "Confusion is Sex" (and then "Kill Yr Idols"!).
Old 11.27.2010, 10:23 PM   #75
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
i felt in love with joy divison during the last 3 years. the first time i heard closer i thought, hey this sounds a little bit like confusion is sex.

listen to both records from the beginning to the end and you get my point.

what else than confusion is next is as dark as joy division can i say ? hmm even the bass driven sound is similiar.

i think right now they have changed. i donīt expect another record like confusion is sex.listen to the eternal its the opposite and a name of a joy division song on their last album closer.

forgive me
:-)
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2010, 03:13 AM   #76
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

I felt in love with Joy Division 1989. Sonic Youth came into my life a year later. In my opinion JD and SY are not similiar (maybe there is not that much melodies in JD as there is SY especially since EVOL), but they have something in common. And Confusion and Unknown pleasures and also closer have a lot in common. Maybe Confusion is a little bit aggressive and also more chaotic than JD albums, but the feeling on the base of these albums is quite same.
Old 11.28.2010, 06:39 AM   #77
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

When I think albums that have same spirit as Confusion is sex, Stooges Raw Power, Velvet Underground White Heat/White Light and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion first album come into my mind. Of course Jon Spencer is much more blues-rock oriented, but especially the first album is as wild and also mainly dark as confusion.
Old 11.28.2010, 06:05 PM   #78
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
same sound as confusion is sex i would say closer. the first song on closer for example sounds so much like confusion is sex.
same spirit ? all the negative creeps have somehow the same spirit

itīs youst in chase of sonic youth it was more some kind of art concept. in chase of ian it was related to his real live, some kind of rockn roll suicide
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.28.2010, 09:02 PM   #79
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
This was my second record I purchased after dirty, I fell in love with it immediately. The ones I loved the most where Shaking Hell, Inhuman, and The World Looks Red. Those three songs made me fall in love with them.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2010, 02:50 AM   #80
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
Yeah, that's a good point...for answers to these questions and more, I would take a look here:

http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang/lp/lp1.html

Or I could answer them now, since I have the Blast First edition too, and you're right, the labels are just the cover of the album - it's the original Neutral vinyl that has the 'this/that' I mentioned above. "World Looks Red" is the first song on my side 2 as well, but some/all Zensor pressings have "Inhuman" as the first song on side 2 (and I can only assume the Neutral versions do as well, given the label...but I don't know!).

I have understood, that there are people in this gossip who have the original neutral vinyl. If Iīm right, could someone who have that vinyl say, is Inhuman first song in the second side or last in the first? Of course itīs not the most important thing in the world but I just want to know.

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth