Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.01.2018, 06:53 PM   #2201
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
oooooooooh yessss

season 2!

just began it

ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2018, 07:26 AM   #2202
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
MANIAC on Netflix is pretty good.
Emmma Stone is slowly chipping away at my heart.
Pretty good. Not great. Pretty good.

American Horror Story: Apocalypse started out meeeh and then got super interesting with the last few minutes of episode 3, with help from “She’s A Rainbow” by The Rolling Stones and a reintroduction of some characters from my favorite season.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.02.2018, 06:18 PM   #2203
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
oooooooooh yessss

season 2!

just began it

ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaa!
haaaa haaaaao haaaaaaaaaaaa

awesome poor taste
Old 10.07.2018, 04:15 PM   #2204
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

oh hell yes. hell yes.

so magnificently done.

so well done it’s just—yes.

the blue hue in the cinematography, and the high contrast, and the shutter, sure, they have been done many times before, but no way do they work seamlessly like here that i’ve seen, where it’s just natural, where it just defines the way the way is. it’s not gimmick, it’s atmosphere. so well done.

i like it when a dp chooses a palette.

same as a painter.

but ok—gaiman!

gaiman has the best stories.

and i can already tell what’s going on, i have been able to tell from the beginning, even though i never made it far into the audiobook (hard for me to follow a reader, ever since early childhood, i prefer to read myself), but anyway, gaiman has the best stories. not sure how much he’s a prosist, but his stories! ahhhh....
Old 10.07.2018, 05:25 PM   #2205
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

oh hell yes. hell yes.

so magnificently done.

so well done it’s just—yes.

the blue hue in the cinematography, and the high contrast, and the shutter, sure, they have been done many times before, but no way do they work seamlessly like here that i’ve seen, where it’s just natural, where it just defines the way the way is. it’s not gimmick, it’s atmosphere. so well done.

i like it when a dp chooses a palette.

same as a painter.

but ok—gaiman!

gaiman has the best stories.

and i can already tell what’s going on, i have been able to tell from the beginning, even though i never made it far into the audiobook (hard for me to follow a reader, ever since early childhood, i prefer to read myself), but anyway, gaiman has the best stories. not sure how much he’s a prosist, but his stories! ahhhh....

The book is so much better and I agree that the show is good.

Show could be better. Probs should have been a movie. But yeah. I’ve been waiting eons for an adaptation.
One of my favorite books.

Check it out.
It’s earlt Gaiman and he had some kinks to iron out, but it’s basically amazing.

Like a Stephen King book if it were written by... someone else.
Old 10.07.2018, 05:27 PM   #2206
Severian
invito al cielo

This is... really quite good.

Don’t get bored. Watch though the end of the second episode before judging.

Maya Rudolf has a special summin’-summin’
Old 10.08.2018, 09:49 PM   #2207
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
The book is so much better and I agree that the show is good.

Show could be better. Probs should have been a movie. But yeah. I’ve been waiting eons for an adaptation.
One of my favorite books.

Check it out.
It’s earlt Gaiman and he had some kinks to iron out, but it’s basically amazing.

Like a Stephen King book if it were written by... someone else.
yeah i tried the audiobook already. no.

well okay if i read it maybe printed, but no, look

i think the cinematography here is better than gaiman’s sentences

therefore, this story is better told

it just looks so brilliant

but anyway, with no more show coming till 2019, i might grow impatient and just read it, yeah.

but is the book gonna look and feel like this? i dont know man.... this is realer than real. this is i am there, not just thinking about it.

sad that it ended so fast, just 8 episodes, i want to keep it going

———

meanwhile, ash vs the evil dead season 3 continued sinking to new lows. in a good way!

it’s hilariously disgusting, and yeah that schtick will wear out eventually, but not quite yet.
Old 10.09.2018, 01:25 AM   #2208
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) was really good. In fact the first three-four episodes were some of the tensest I've experienced watching a TV show.

I was really hoping for a season two, but last I heard it might not happen
Old 10.09.2018, 07:28 AM   #2209
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

but anyway, with no more show coming till 2019, i might grow impatient and just read it, yeah.

but is the book gonna look and feel like this? i dont know man.... this is realer than real. this is i am there, not just thinking about it.

To me, the book feels far more understated. I never would have assumed that the “real” scenes of Shadow in prison, or chillin’ with Wednesday would be rendered in such maximal/saturated visual detail... Honestly, not even the “dream” scenes like the meeting of Techno Boy felt that way to me.

In my mind, while reading, it all feels quite “normal” looking until this certain point in the book (they haven’t arrived there in the show yet) where the “real” and the “dream” stuff become one and the same very clearly. After that it’s anything goes, but I always expected the story to look quite normal until that point.

But... I also thought Shadow should be played by either Clive Owen (or, if they wanted an older energy, Bruce Willis), and that Wednesday NEEDED to be played by the dude in Jurassic Park... the dead Attenborough... know the one? With the white beard, yeah?
And I thought Anansi should be a “The Shining”-age Scatman Crothers... sooooo, obviously I did not have the same vision, but you can tell I’ve been thinking about this for a LONG ass time.

OH, and I thought Terry Gilliam was *fucking born* to direct this thing.

Anywho... I do think it’s worth a read. You like Sandman, yes?
Well, Gaiman was still in kind of a Sandmany place when he wrote the book, so a lot of those themes are present in it, and there’s a simialar writing and pacing style.

Gotta read it before you die. Solid book. I prefer it to “Neverwhere” even if he perfected his style and tone even more later on with “The Ocean at the End of the Lane.”

Also calling it “early” Gaiman as I did in my last post is kind of misleading. It’s not that early.
Old 10.09.2018, 07:36 AM   #2210
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty bunny
Jack Ryan (Amazon Prime) was really good. In fact the first three-four episodes were some of the tensest I've experienced watching a TV show.

I was really hoping for a season two, but last I heard it might not happen

This is what I heard from so many people, so I watched an episode and a half and I was just fucking *bombed-out-of-my-mind* bored. Holy shit.
Intense? Really?
It’s excruciatingly simplistic, the exposition and storytelling and so on... just mind-numbingly dumb and obvious and boilerplate.
I keep hearing the word “intense,” but Jesus Christ man, watch The Americans or something.

Maybe it deserves another shot, but if I count more than 10 abused tropes in a pilot episode with no unique spin, I’m usually out.
Old 10.09.2018, 10:07 AM   #2211
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

having a hard time with the quote codes in mobile, so, will italicize you instead

To me, the book feels far more understated. I never would have assumed that the “real” scenes of Shadow in prison, or chillin’ with Wednesday would be rendered in such maximal/saturated visual detail... Honestly, not even the “dream” scenes like the meeting of Techno Boy felt that way to me.

which is what im saying. the creativity of the visual team rules all here. their job is not to reconstruct how severian felt the book. their job is to make something awesome. and they DID. forget the book, or you for a moment. this teevee show is glorious.

In my mind, while reading, it all feels quite “normal” looking until this certain point in the book (they haven’t arrived there in the show yet) where the “real” and the “dream” stuff become one and the same very clearly. After that it’s anything goes, but I always expected the story to look quite normal until that point.

eh

But... I also thought Shadow should be played by either Clive Owen (or, if they wanted an older energy, Bruce Willis), and that Wednesday NEEDED to be played by the dude in Jurassic Park... the dead Attenborough... know the one? With the white beard, yeah?
And I thought Anansi should be a “The Shining”-age Scatman Crothers... sooooo, obviously I did not have the same vision, but you can tell I’ve been thinking about this for a LONG ass time.

ha ha ha. am i ever so glad you did not cast this show, white man

OH, and I thought Terry Gilliam was *fucking born* to direct this thing.

nah. gilliam is too much gilliam. one diva per couple.

Anywho... I do think it’s worth a read. You like Sandman, yes?
Well, Gaiman was still in kind of a Sandmany place when he wrote the book, so a lot of those themes are present in it, and there’s a simialar writing and pacing style.

well sure it is evident gaiman likes to fuck with myth. it’s his thing isn’t it? not a surprise.

i happen to like myths too which is why gaiman appeals to me in the first place. yeah.

Gotta read it before you die. Solid book. I prefer it to “Neverwhere” even if he perfected his style and tone even more later on with “The Ocean at the End of the Lane.”

i like his stories. his PLOTS. his style and tone are fine, but do not blow me away. his plots blow me away. hence, sandman, and now this.

Also calling it “early” Gaiman as I did in my last post is kind of misleading. It’s not that early.

yeah 2001 publication

but this show!!

apparently gaiman himself is now showrunner for next season
Old 10.09.2018, 11:47 AM   #2212
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Futureman, not bad, It's got some Ideocracy in it for sure. Ed Begley Jr is the dumb sweet dad everybody wants. Best dad since Jimmy Stewart!
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2018, 01:17 PM   #2213
dirty bunny
expwy. to yr skull

dirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's assesdirty bunny kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This is what I heard from so many people, so I watched an episode and a half and I was just fucking *bombed-out-of-my-mind* bored. Holy shit.
Intense? Really?
It’s excruciatingly simplistic, the exposition and storytelling and so on... just mind-numbingly dumb and obvious and boilerplate.
I keep hearing the word “intense,” but Jesus Christ man, watch The Americans or something.

Maybe it deserves another shot, but if I count more than 10 abused tropes in a pilot episode with no unique spin, I’m usually out.

The only thing I noticed that made me go "oh yeah this is a TV show" is the fact that Jack Ryan's boss turns out to be Muslim when they're chasing after a Muslim guy. Maybe you're right that it has cliches in it, I don't know, I'm obviously ignorant of most of them.
Old 10.09.2018, 05:37 PM   #2214
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

sad that it ended so fast, just 8 episodes, i want to keep it going

I've not seen American Gods but I have seen images, and its look. And I know at least in season one they used the same people behind the "Hannibal" series, which also looked amazing and like no other series on television. Who knows if that will continue to carry on because I think that was Bryan Fuller's big influence on American Gods, and Fuller left after the first season.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2018, 05:53 PM   #2215
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

This is... really quite good.

Don’t get bored. Watch though the end of the second episode before judging.

Maya Rudolf has a special summin’-summin’

Agreed. Quite enjoyed this show. Just finished it over the weekend. Interesting tone, but works well.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2018, 06:14 PM   #2216
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I've not seen American Gods but I have seen images, and its look. And I know at least in season one they used the same people behind the "Hannibal" series, which also looked amazing and like no other series on television. Who knows if that will continue to carry on because I think that was Bryan Fuller's big influence on American Gods, and Fuller left after the first season.
oh hell yes hannibal was also another planet

i really hope they manage to continue like that
Old 10.09.2018, 08:11 PM   #2217
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ash vs the evil dead is more stooges slapstick than epic saga, and that is very fucking good
Old 10.09.2018, 10:41 PM   #2218
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i happen to like myths too which is why gaiman appeals to me in the first place. yeah.

I think his actual degree is in, like, mythological lit or something absurd you could never get at a state university in the U.S. so... uh, yah. Myths are everything and everywhere. I admire his comprehensive knowledge of so many cultures’ mythologies. Everything he does is built on something from some pantheon or other. Or one he invents. He knows mythology like I know AP style and Kanye West lyrics.

Quote:
apparently gaiman himself is now showrunner for next season

You
Just
Blew
My
Face
Off
Like in
“Face-Off”

Old 10.10.2018, 07:40 AM   #2219
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
last episode of Better Call Saul.....
Old 10.10.2018, 07:41 PM   #2220
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
last episode of Better Call Saul.....

I’m bout to do that too.

It’s not the last episode ever thoug, right?
There’s another season...
Right?
61101108109110 111 112113114121161 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth