Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Karma
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.16.2009, 10:32 PM   #21
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I can't believe none of us has started a thread on this subject!

What I've been thinking lately: So I've had some success selling old clothes that I don't like anymore. It has occured to me, though, given all the "need" out there, all the poverty, that the far nobler thing is to simply give it all away.

Am I "good" for dumping clothes at Goodwill or Salvation Army? Or am I stupid for not trying to get something back for them?

I'm not talking about old trashed out clothes. I'm talking about decent things that are only a year or so old.

You should give them. Unless you do other kinds of charity, it's the least you can do. I remember when my family was poor and I had to shop at goodwill, the clothes were pretty shitty, so giving nice clothes would be great. Even better would be to sell the clothes and use that money in a charitable way. Donate presents to some kids who need it, or help feed people in Africa, or any of the billions of other things you could do. Any little bit helps.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 10:35 PM   #22
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anngella
A lot of people have that misconception. In Hinduism/Buddhism, it's not as simple as that. From what I understand, the result of good karma isn't just the (nearly) instantaneous happenings - the result is to return as a greater being in your next life. There are different interpretations for different religions, though.
I'm bad at explaining things.

"This samsaric karma comes in two 'flavours' - 'good' karma, which leads to positive/pleasurable experiences, like high rebirth (as a deva, asura, or human), and bad karma which leads to suffering and low rebirth (as a hell-sufferer, as a preta, or as an animal). There is also a completely different type of karma that is neither good nor bad, but liberating. This karma allows for the individual to break the uncontrolled cycle of rebirth which always implies suffering, and thereby leave samsara to permanently enter Nirvana."

From this website.

Yeah, that's their version of Karma and their beliefs. Anyone can choose to believe what he or she wants to. The guy didn't say he was a Buddhist as far as I've seen so your point is pretty moot.
Old 08.16.2009, 10:46 PM   #23
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
as for karma....karma is bullshit. but, i think it can be a good guide line for some people to live their lives by. good shit happens to bad people, bad shit happens to good people, vice versa to both....its called life. there is no such thing as real karma.

As far as I know, that's his definition of Karma, so it's just another word for that. What you're trying to say is that there's no higher power behind it or something, but if good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people (i don't believe this, by the way) and we choose to call that Karma, then Karma exists. It's just a a word for an idea.
Old 08.16.2009, 10:51 PM   #24
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
I don't really believe in karma all that much. What I do believe in is doing good for people around you, unless they are undeserving.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2009, 11:47 PM   #25
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

Quote:
...that makes some sense to me.

"but if good things happen to good people and bad things happen to bad people (i don't believe this, by the way)" < this part id like ya to explain a bit further (not saying i do/dont agree, just curious as to where you are coming from exactly)

It just doesn't seem like it's the way it works. Why is Rupert Murdoch so rich? He will never lose that money, no matter how evil he is. In fact, it seems like evil and callous people are more likely to get money early on and money perpetuates money. And I don't really think money is the most important thing, but that's just one example. Human nature is to disregard people who are quiet and kind in place of people who are obnoxious and flashy, good people seem to die young... I'm sort of rambling here. I'll think about it and give a better post tomorrow when I'm not so tired.
Old 08.17.2009, 01:51 AM   #26
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses

Karma can be a misterious thing
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 03:43 AM   #27
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I can't believe none of us has started a thread on this subject!
i haven't ready ANY of this thread past the point where i quoted, but i'd MUCH RATHER have shawarma.

fucking a right!!!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 03:44 AM   #28
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
What the fuck is that?
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 03:55 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
What the fuck is that?

much better than karma
Old 08.17.2009, 10:42 AM   #30
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
salvation army and goodwill have developed a bad habbit of selling their clothes for very unreasonable prices.

this is what happens when you donate to the thrift store...indie kids bitching about the high prices of retro-gear.

if you really want yr heart to feel good, drop that shit off at a homeless shelter.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2009, 10:47 AM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
this is what happens when you donate to the thrift store...indie kids bitching about the high prices of retro-gear.

if you really want yr heart to feel good, drop that shit off at a homeless shelter.

save yourself the labor and throw it in the fucking trash. and pat yourself in the back for your good actions-- think of all the jobs that will be created to make new clothes instead of the shit you threw away. save the fucking economy. the homeless only produce feces anyway.

i personally turn my old clothes into cleaning rags. you never know when you need to deal with vomit on the floor or spunk on the furniture.
Old 08.17.2009, 11:40 AM   #32
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
salvation army and goodwill have developed a bad habbit of selling their clothes for very unreasonable prices.

Really?! I just picked up a perfect-condition London Fog trench coat for 5 bucks at Goodwill.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth