Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2016, 05:10 AM   #3321
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Gonna have to take your word on that. I'm not listening to this shit.

For a practiced actor (and by practiced I mean try-hard acting coach having motherfucker), who enjoys playing silly little word games with the song he (and he alone, certainly no ghost writers!) writes, Drake is not an eloquent fellow. That little paragraph reads like a thought that has just popped into someone's head. Downright formless.

The best thing Drake has ever been a part of is "Fuckin Problems," and "Tuesday" (which he wasn't really a part of.) I can smell the change coming in the air. Drake's time is almost over. This is probably why he's scrambling to put out something new 6 months after the last one. If he gives the world 2 years of silence, he'll be over.
Don't bother to listen to it. I had to turn it off halfway through. Not only it sounds like a Real Friends ripoff, I just can't take him seriously when he talks about people showing him fake love.

Real Friends is up there with Swimming Pools, these are the best hip hop singles by a mainstream artist this decade. Viewing society from a different angle than hip hop is used to. Both are deep and personal as hell.

Based on those new songs, that new project is gonna be even weaker than VIEWS. Drake is probably well aware. Hence why he attempts to dodge the bullet by claiming it's NOT a mixtape or an album. Ha.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2016, 05:12 AM   #3322
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
I just saw that feature..

"In an acrobatic feat of self-delusion, Drake insinuates that he’s not privileged (he visited someone in prison!) before laying into Pusha for rapping about dealing drugs."

Hahaha!!

Pusha ain't no Meek Mill. At his best moments, I genuinely see him as a poet. He's probably going to respond to Drake soon, and it's gonna be ugly.

Also, what the hell was Drake thinking when he made fun of Cudi for having mental illness? This guy proves, once again, that he's nothing but a self-absorbed dick.
Old 10.25.2016, 10:56 AM   #3323
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I just saw that feature..

"In an acrobatic feat of self-delusion, Drake insinuates that he’s not privileged (he visited someone in prison!) before laying into Pusha for rapping about dealing drugs."

Hahaha!!

Pusha ain't no Meek Mill. At his best moments, I genuinely see him as a poet. He's probably going to respond to Drake soon, and it's gonna be ugly.

Also, what the hell was Drake thinking when he made fun of Cudi for having mental illness? This guy proves, once again, that he's nothing but a self-absorbed dick.

Yeah, Pusha ain't no bitch. I'm not sure if I'd refer to him as a poet, but I definitely think he has a bit of 2pac in him. And he raps like a beast. Darkest Before Dawn was essentially an outtakes album, and it was still very easily the second best rap record of 2015.

Also, Push isn't some youngen. Some cheeky joker trying to make a name for himself with tired gangsta tropes in a post-gangsta hip-hop landscape. He was one half of CLIPSE for Christ's sake. Do you remember how big Clipse was before they called it? One of the last great duos of the group/posse era. They essentially invented the modern mixtape. And Pusha also has a hell of an ear for the artsier elements of hip-hop. Not satisfied to simply throw down bars, Push is all about mood and ambiance. In other words, surely not even Drake himself thinks the two are comparable talents.

Like the feature said, Drake is certainly counting on his faceless army of social media tweens to make sure he looks like the winner of this one.

I say it's not even worth Pusha's time. He should focus on getting King Push out and let Drake hang himself.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2016, 04:54 PM   #3324
pepper_green
Banned

pepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's assespepper_green kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I feel you actually. I mean, I can relate to your position. I'm not as content to just listen to he same '90s records over and over, and I think things have happened in the 2000s and 2010s that have made hip-hop better as a whole than it was before. But I still appreciate your position. I kinda view indie rock that way. Can't remember the last time something flat out blew my mind, and really added to the genre's history and legacy, and I'd rather listen to Sonic Youth or Sebadoh or Fugazi than whatever the hell is going on these days.

But you're wrong about one thing: hip-hop most certainly is (or can be) EXTREMELY FUN when it's dumb. There's a whole lot of camp and cheese in the Wu catalog. Kool Keith got dumb as hell and it was intentional and part of his charm. When a good dumb banger comes out, there's genuine good times to be had listening to that shit.

im very settled with listening to the old classics. the new stuff is good but far in between. the vibe is different like there's an acceptance of soft acceptable misogyny. like it's suggested or quietly implied or so old now it's just flat out ignored. I like that. because, lets face it, it was the violence that got everyone riled up in the 90's. everyone loves sex. not many love violence and I can hear that in modern hip hop. but, I think a lot of it tries to disguise itself as indie hip aware to try to do something different and trying too hard. there's definitely the influence because of the hipster boom in the 2000's hitting it's mainstream stride to the dismay of young interested music fans everywhere who, I feel sorry for because they have nothing to grab and imagine it for theirselves and claim it as their own.

but, dumb may be the wrong word. maybe ignorant is what I should have typed. Ignant hip hop is dumb. a certain style in rap drags on way too long. it's always been overkill of the same old shit. guest raps on r&b songs, guest appearances on mixtapes, releasing songs every month, the uncaring authenticity of not selling out, overkill youtube interviews destroying yr image making you normal, creating a boring mystic selling kit kat bars.
pepper_green is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2016, 06:57 PM   #3325
louder
invito al cielo

What do y'all think Frank is going through?

Basically acts like a recluse, doesn't do interviews, didn't submit his album for Grammy consideration, hasn't released hard copies of Blonde yet or that Boys Don't Cry magazine which he kept teasing..
Old 10.25.2016, 06:57 PM   #3326
louder
invito al cielo

"Nights" is such an amazing song though (Frank's flow on the first part is one of the best ever), and so is "Solo". Two of my favs of the year.

I love how that skit before Solo goes like "..not to drink alcohol, not to use drugs. Don't use that cocaine or marijuana because that stuff is highly addictive. When people become weed-heads they become sluggish, lazy, stupid and unconcerned. Sluggish, lazy, stupid and unconcerned. That's all marijuana does to you, okay?".. then Frank sings the opening line: "hand me a towel, I'm dirty dancing by myself / gone off tabs of that acid". LOL.
Old 10.25.2016, 07:02 PM   #3327
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
I say it's not even worth Pusha's time. He should focus on getting King Push out and let Drake hang himself.
He doesn't have to respond but I guarantee you he will, simply cuz he hates Drake so much. He's been throwing shots at him for years and now Drake finally swallowed the bait.
Old 10.25.2016, 07:15 PM   #3328
louder
invito al cielo

I think I'm just starting to grow a deeper appreciation for Blonde.. Danny's turn will come later.
Old 10.25.2016, 07:43 PM   #3329
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think I'm just starting to grow a deeper appreciation for Blonde.. Danny's turn will come later.

Blonde is good as hell, but not Album of the Year good.

Honestly I'd really like to get hard copies of both Blonde and Endless.

I think "Ivy" is probably my favorite song on the album but I haven't listen to it in a bit. It's a grower for sure. Some parts just jumped right out at me, others took a little longer to come to a boil.

Danny's album is just Fucking crazy though. Very very good. At this point I'm liking it more than The Sun's Tirade and Blank Face LP. Which is saying something.
Old 10.25.2016, 07:43 PM   #3330
Severian
invito al cielo

I gave 1992 a quick listen the other day and I think I want to buy that shit. Far as I can tell it's better than Streets of Compton.
Old 10.25.2016, 07:55 PM   #3331
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Blonde is good as hell, but not Album of the Year good.
Yeah I agree. I would love to get a hard copy of Blonde, that cover art is amazing. I still want him to finish Endless.. it's already good enough the way it is now though.
Old 10.26.2016, 10:26 AM   #3332
louder
invito al cielo

October 31st (Monday).
Old 10.26.2016, 11:38 AM   #3333
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah I agree. I would love to get a hard copy of Blonde, that cover art is amazing. I still want him to finish Endless.. it's already good enough the way it is now though.

Wait... what? Endless isn't "finished?"

I've heard nothing about this. What's unfinished about it? Is it supposed to see release (at least on iTunes and the like) as a proper "album?" What are your sources?! What does it all mean?!

Lol. Really though, I think Endless was confusing for a lot of people. It was a weird choice to release an album length video track right before a brand new album. Pitchfork seems to think (without much in the way of backin evidence) that it is an "album album." They reviewed it alongside Blonde after all, and called it a "full length." But really, it's an uninterrupted track. I see it more as a multimedia companion piece. It charted on AppleMusic as a "song" (the most streamed song for a good week or two, I think).

So I think it would be awesome to see Endless released as an album... with tracks... it could still all meld together, but I'd like to have the opportunity to move through the thing with a bit more ease. I'd also like to *own* the fucker without having to pirate it.
Old 10.26.2016, 11:48 AM   #3334
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

October 31st (Monday).

Dammit, you beat me to it!

I'm a wee bit concerned that it looks so mixtapey. We haven't been waiting all these years for an A$AP Mob mixtape ... already have Lords Never Worry. Also that cover seems like very deliberate departure from the traditional A$AP graphic vibe. Looks like an Odd Future joint if I may be so bold.

Still... WOW! I guess it's happening after all! And sooner than I thought!
I pray there's a physical copy.

I think the singles released thus far have shown that they're at a pretty strong place musically. I don't think this will end up sounding like a rush job.

I'm excited man! This is good ass news!

Also, based on the A$AP project timeline (the staggering of Rocky albums, Ferg albums, and Mob releases) this makes me think that the next thing to drop will be a new Rocky album.

I liked ALLA, but times has shown that it had nothing on LiveLove or LongLive. I hope he got the Hendrixitus out of his system and can go back to making absolute banger albums full of masterful posse cuts. Those first two albums are two of the best of the decade.
Old 10.26.2016, 11:51 AM   #3335
louder
invito al cielo

Well that cover is a Yams tribute so it's not totally dumb like the typical cover of an Odd Future release. I like it.
Old 10.26.2016, 12:17 PM   #3336
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
holy shit it's really real!

Quote:
01 Yamborghini High
02 Crazy Brazy
03 Way Hii
04 Young Nigga Living
05 Nasty’s World
06 Money Man
07 Put That on My Set
08 Motivation Foreign (Skit)
09 London Town
10 Runner
11 Bachelor
12 Telephone Calls

I'm kind of bummed that the tracks from LORD really got scrapped. "Hella Hoes" and "Trillmatic" were awesome.

EDIT: Wait, it's being reported it's officially titled Cozy Tapes Vol 1: Friends, which could hint that a vol 2 (with those LORD songs?) could follow?
Old 10.27.2016, 07:19 AM   #3337
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
A$AP Mob is actually a great example of what I was talking about recently and how I'd like to see more hip hop treated. As devastated as I was about LORD getting scrapped, when was the last time you heard a rapper or hip hop group say "I'm not going to release this album because I don't think it's good enough?" It's far more common to be like "I'm going to release this album even though it's just alright, AND I'll also drop 3 mixtapes of songs from the same sessions."

If nothing else, A$AP are a perfectionists. It can be a fault I suppose - the danger of not striking while the iron's hot and all. But I respect it. Even if it means that LORD and Beauty & The Beat never saw the light of day.

Rocky's been around for ~5 years now: that's a lifetime in hip hop. And he's released ONE mixtape and TWO albums. That's it. How much stuff has Young Thug put out in that time frame? How much of it is something you'd want to listen to again?

In that five years we've only seen one other member of the Mob drop anything official - in that Ferg has also released one mixtape and two albums. And obviously the group did have one mixtape. But again, this is a whole crew of dudes and a five year span. If it were anyone else you'd expect a flooded market by now.
Old 10.27.2016, 09:04 AM   #3338
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
So Kevin Gates has been found guilty of kicking a fan and has been sentenced to 180 days in county jail, THREE TIMES the amount asked for by prosecutors. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2846492
Old 10.27.2016, 10:13 AM   #3339
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
So Kevin Gates has been found guilty of kicking a fan and has been sentenced to 180 days in county jail, THREE TIMES the amount asked for by prosecutors. http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.2846492
Yeah that sucks. The fan was sexually assaulting him..
Old 10.27.2016, 11:29 AM   #3340
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Kavin Gates gets 1/3 of a year in jail for kicking a fan, and that guy who repeatedly raped his young daughter got time served and probation...... Will Trump fix this?
117157164165166 167 168169170177 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth