Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   louder's hip-hop café V (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=112934)

louder 01.01.2016 03:06 AM

louder's hip-hop café V
 
 


So Birdman and Wayne are cool again. Hmm..

louder 01.01.2016 03:09 AM

New Kanye song: https://soundcloud.com/kanyewest/facts-explicit

It's a Jumpman ripoff where he disses Nike. Also, I don't like it. :(

Severian 01.01.2016 03:17 PM

Ok it's clearly a throwaway boast track. He's ringing in the new year with a novelty song. Another demo quality half idea...

I don't hate it. I actually think that sample in the beginning is exactly the kind of thing he's shown he can build on. Throw that motherfucker into the chorus, re-write the lyrics to make it a "serious" song, change up the timing and tempo a bit, maybe add a guest spot... and... baby you got yourself a stew going!

 

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.01.2016 06:09 PM

Only room i have for hip hop right now is that Game disc 2

Severian 01.01.2016 06:37 PM

Well, I pity anyone who hasn't heard Darkest Before Dawn yet.

 


Seriously, are we no longer taking recommendations here? Or is it just that My Name is My Name was somehow not one of the best rap albums of the decade?

Dudes, drop what you're doing and listen to Pusha T.

Lookin' at you, louder.

louder 01.02.2016 03:41 AM

Oh sorry man, I forgot to post my opinion about it. It is more consistent than My Name Is My Name, but MNIMN had higher highs. Overall I prefer MNIMN. It's just a prelude to his real album or whatever though so it's cool.

louder 01.02.2016 05:59 AM

Overlooked mixtape from 2015:

 


Listen here: http://mixtapemonkey.com/1388/tut-preachers-son

Severian 01.02.2016 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Overlooked mixtape from 2015:

 


Listen here: http://mixtapemonkey.com/1388/tut-preachers-son


Cool. Thanks!

Severian 01.02.2016 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by louder
Oh sorry man, I forgot to post my opinion about it. It is more consistent than My Name Is My Name, but MNIMN had higher highs. Overall I prefer MNIMN. It's just a prelude to his real album or whatever though so it's cool.


Ehhh... I'm not sure I prefer it to MNIMN either but I definitely think it's more consistent. My Name had some seriously waning moments stuffed into its second half, but the production being all-Kanye made it a strong companion piece to Yeezus, with a similar kind of mission statement.

I think Darkest Before Dawn is more than just a prelude to his "real" album. I mean, it's a real album. I actually think it's a bit stupid of him to call it "the prequel" or to slap the "King Push" title on it. That's just confusing. I mean, this album is the "prequel" to a song from 2013 and an April 2016 album (maybe)?

It's definitely an album. It's been labored over and heavily produced, and a lot of thought has gone in to its presentation.

But I didn't realize until just recently that he was planning to drop another album so soon. I figured the whole King Push thing would fizzle, like so many planned sequential album series do. But, apparently, fucker's releasing a whole new joint in April. I'll believe it when I see it. For now, Darkest Before Dawn is definitely capable of standing on its own.

Severian 01.02.2016 02:08 PM

Also - new Lupe Fiasco album "DROGAS" coming soon. Here's the cover art:

 


Personally I think Lupe should take a break. Tetsuo & Youth was an unexpected success for the guy, whose last few albums have struggled. Tetsuo might not have been a massive commercial success compared to Food & Liquor, but it was kind of a cult favorite. I think he should just sit back and let that album sizzle for a bit. Count himself lucky for the rebound. I can see Tetsuo gaining an 808's & Heartbreak-status if he gives the world more time to digest it.

Making an album about drugs seems like a step in the wrong direction, back into the cookie cutter world of once-a-year rap releases focused on guns and drugs. He should push the artistic shit harder, because let's face it, the guy's done being a RAP heavyweight. He needs to evolve into a *musical* force... again, like Kanye... I know... I say Kanye a lot... But truth be told, Kane's the only motherfucker who's managed to successfully transcend hip-hop and avoid the novelty effect.

Maybe Pharrell too. But shit, Pharrell's kinda lame.

louder 01.02.2016 03:57 PM

LOL I understand where you're coming from, Pharrell is definitely pretty lame nowadays.

And I get what you're saying about the new Pusha album (not even gonna bother to try and type the whole title haha), I just put it in the same box as Jay Rock's 90059 and Freddie Gibbs' Shadow of a Doubt as a really good, cohesive 2015 "tough guy" rap album.

Severian 01.02.2016 05:51 PM

I really really dig the shit out of "Untouchable" and "MPA" and, well, every track really.

Part of the reason I like it so much is because I like Pusha. He's way up there for me. I loved Clipse, I loved MNIMN, I love what he's brought to GOOD music, and his appearances on MBDTF ("Runaway" may be my favorite song of the decade, and his verse is the centerpiece... "I'm just young rich and tasteless -P")

I'm still feeling out Gibbs, though Pińata was the best hip-hop album of 2014. And Jay Rock is even newer to me. But Pusha's a favorite.

Rob Instigator 01.04.2016 11:37 AM

ain;t nobody triller than Scott...

Severian 01.05.2016 10:01 PM

Okay, so Lupe Fiasco may in fact have not one, but three new albums dropping in 2016. Fucking three! It's as if he somehow learned about what I thought he should do, and then decided to do the exact opposite of everything I wanted.

That much music over such a short period of time? Bound to be phoned in. Only Ghostface can get away with that kind of thing, and even he's losing his touch.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous 01.05.2016 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pepper_green
shit music. 40% of this thread. total SHEEIT!!! what if I came to your home and started talking STEEIT!!!

would you like that? do you like a dick in you face? slapping my dick against you face and showing my ass?

you like that?

my ass and total SHEEIT in your face?????

What would we do without your booze inspired rants? Everything is apt until you always insist on mentioning your dick, and i mean, hey, we get it, a lot of guys are fascinated by their own dicks, but kindly remember we here have dicks too so we're not exactly interested in yours. Well, some of our gay folks might but even they probably like "meh"

Severian 01.05.2016 11:23 PM

Complex presents the Best Rapper of Every Year since 1979
 
 



Complex has published a feature titled, The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979.

It's actually a pretty in depth and interesting read, but they DEFINITELY got some shit wrong.

Run, Notorious BIG, Jay Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne and Kanye West all received "BRA" honors for two separate years. The only artist picked more is Drake (three different years: 2009, 2011, 2015). Bogus if y'ask me.

Anyway, check the article here:

http://uk.complex.com/music/2016/01/...ar-since-1979/

louder 01.05.2016 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
What would we do without your booze inspired rants? Everything is apt until you always insist on mentioning your dick, and i mean, hey, we get it, a lot of guys are fascinated by their own dicks, but kindly remember we here have dicks too so we're not exactly interested in yours. Well, some of our gay folks might but even they probably like "meh"

Must spread rep.

louder 01.05.2016 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Complex has published a feature titled, The Best Rapper Alive, Every Year Since 1979.

It's actually a pretty in depth and interesting read, but they DEFINITELY got some shit wrong.

Run, Notorious BIG, Jay Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne and Kanye West all received "BRA" honors for two separate years. The only artist picked more is Drake (three different years: 2009, 2011, 2015). Bogus if y'ask me.

Anyway, check the article here:

http://uk.complex.com/music/2016/01/...ar-since-1979/

Reading that article.. pretty terrible, they confused "best" with most popular. Nicki Minaj in 2014?? LOL. The drawings are cool though, I'll give them that.

louder 01.05.2016 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Severian
Okay, so Lupe Fiasco may in fact have not one, but three new albums dropping in 2016. Fucking three! It's as if he somehow learned about what I thought he should do, and then decided to do the exact opposite of everything I wanted.

That much music over such a short period of time? Bound to be phoned in. Only Ghostface can get away with that kind of thing, and even he's losing his touch.

I hope that at least one of those albums will be decent. I read that one of them is over trap beats only which already cancels the chances of me being interested in that project.

Severian 01.06.2016 12:05 AM

They do seem to confuse best with most popular, despite their efforts to define "best" as something other than GOAT.

Some heinous writing and some piss poor choices but I thought it was fun.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All content ©2006 Sonic Youth