Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2018, 08:14 PM   #50081
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
Dunno about the kultrun (never seen one, much less played one; I only know what they told me about it in school, I must admit), but clearly you don't even have a ghost of a clue about which instrument, and which musician, that song refers to.

For real: shut the fuck up, let's move on.

you’ve never heard the kultrun, mr tambourine man?

shocking...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2018, 08:22 PM   #50082
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you’ve never heard the kultrun, mr tambourine man?

shocking...

That's what you read? Of course I've heard its sound; what I wrote was that I wasn't truly familiar with the instrument to compare it to another. Christ on a STICK...

— See, you've been warned, all right? Let's move forward amicably.

— OK, well, check this out, dawg. First of all, you're throwing too many big words at me. Okay, now because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take them as disrespect...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2018, 08:31 PM   #50083
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
That's what you read? Of course I've heard its sound; what I wrote was that I wasn't truly familiar with the instrument to compare it to another. Christ on a STICK...

— See, you've been warned, all right? Let's move forward amicably.

— OK, well, check this out, dawg. First of all, you're throwing too many big words at me. Okay, now because I don't understand them, I'm gonna take them as disrespect...

Old 11.14.2018, 09:06 PM   #50084
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I’m semi-familiar with Gojira, and a I know a bit of Isis, but not these specific albums. I will listen!

They're their most popular albums, respectively.
Would love to hear your thoughts.

I can't imagine a Sonic Youth fan not being able to appreciate post-metal as a genre, tbh.

It's like post-punk, except more atmospheric and angrier.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2018, 09:55 PM   #50085
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Prelude to Oblivion.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2018, 11:43 PM   #50086
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Haha. I credit him with wanting to do more than just an 80s pastiche although it could be dismissed as just that - with the obligatory depressive BM tones mixed in.

He's a really interesting guy and features in the amazing short documentary OMM about the One Man Band thing in underground BM. That documentary had a massive impact on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijtsVwz3WM

wow that was great!

late for me to say more, will follow up tomorrow
Old 11.14.2018, 11:57 PM   #50087
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Pretty bangin' playlist tonight as I literally clean house:

Bosnian Rainbows - Bosnian Rainbows
Shroud Belial - Careless EP
Sleep Spindles - Banshee
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2018, 08:56 AM   #50088
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

I can't imagine a Sonic Youth fan not being able to appreciate post-metal as a genre, tbh.

Ok. Well, if you can’t inagine a Sonic Youth fan not appreciating something, you can’t imagine a Severian not appreciating something. So I promise to listen and comment.
Just not right now.

Re-rock-type stuff: Subce I misunderstood or knee-jerk reacted to your first post and went off on a tangent, I’m not sure I really have much to add about rock itself progressing. “Indie” has indeed gone down the shitter, and I barely listen to rock music. All the good stuff I can think of off-hand is good but deliberately derivative. Still, I’ll think on it.

Not foreclosing on your metal argument, mind you. Just didn’t necessarily buy it, but lemme listen to some of this stuff before I make up my mind.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2018, 01:03 PM   #50089
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
That documentary had a massive impact on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cijtsVwz3WM
SO, followup, yes i watched that last night and it was great.

massive impact: is that why you moved out to the sticks?

we tried that for a few years (living like tasmania guy) but the economics didn't pan out at the time. perhaps at another opportunity.

i'm not as much a misanthrope as those people, but... i could be convinced haaa haaaa haaaa.

anyway, this is my issue with metal-- one side of me is already that way. the other side says BEWARE DANGER, FUCKER.

i've had... *cough cough* "experiences".

anyway, now gotta listen to the various bands/tracks advanced here.
Old 11.15.2018, 01:19 PM   #50090
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

this has begun really well...
Old 11.15.2018, 02:06 PM   #50091
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

sy is not angry at all though. is it?

i dont hear a lot of anger in it, even in bmr
Old 11.15.2018, 03:13 PM   #50092
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
SO, followup, yes i watched that last night and it was great.

massive impact: is that why you moved out to the sticks?

we tried that for a few years (living like tasmania guy) but the economics didn't pan out at the time. perhaps at another opportunity.

i'm not as much a misanthrope as those people, but... i could be convinced haaa haaaa haaaa.

anyway, this is my issue with metal-- one side of me is already that way. the other side says BEWARE DANGER, FUCKER.

i've had... *cough cough* "experiences".

anyway, now gotta listen to the various bands/tracks advanced here.

I suppose I can relate to the isolationism to a degree but nowhere near to the degree that they take it.

I dunno, I just really appreciate their commitment to what they do, their need to do it, even if that need clearly doesn't always come from the healthiest of places - especially in the cases of Leviathan or, in particular, Xasthur. Either way I suppose I just find their absolute lack of cynicism and zero-tolerance for bullshit, enormously refreshing, when 99% of music that I see being produced right now, or culture generally, seems to be comprised of almost nothing else.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2018, 03:23 PM   #50093
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I suppose I can relate to the isolationism to a degree but nowhere near to the degree that they take it.

oh. i thought that was what you meant by massive impact, ha ha ha

Quote:
I dunno, I just really appreciate their commitment to what they do, their need to do it, even if that need clearly doesn't always come from the healthiest of places - especially in the cases of Leviathan or, in particular, Xasthur.
right, the soaking up the unhealthiest of places is what im often wary of in this genre

but yes the “i need to do this” is something that very much speaks to me

although... the isolation, haaaa haaaa haaaa, is also appealing

i guess because... i can see how one feeds the other

constant interruptions and people offering “opinions” and “help” spoil things more often than not

the thing is. people are always wanting you to work for them, in a way. not for you but for them.

Quote:
Either way I suppose I just find their absolute lack of cynicism and zero-tolerance for bullshit, enormously refreshing, when 99% of music that I see being produced right now, or culture generally, seems to be comprised of almost nothing else.

this for me needs a little explanation/examples if you dont mind.
Old 11.15.2018, 04:38 PM   #50094
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I was mostly thinking about Xasthur and Striborg, and the way neither of them seem remotely interested in doing anything they don't want to do just cos it might be expected of them or cos it could be used as a stepping stone towards greater success. At the same time, their attention to detail and self defined standards seem outrageously high.

But I think that area of BM associated with guys like Xasthur is ultimately pretty personal. I don't know many more honest albums than, say, Telepathic With the Deceased. There's no faking that album, no posturing simply for effect. But at the same time I can imagine lots of people hearing the title track and thinking it's just a genereic BM song by someone whose heard plenty of Burzum. But personally that's about the best, deepest 10 minutes of BM I've ever heard.
Old 11.15.2018, 04:42 PM   #50095
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i get their integrity. i meant about the other 99%...

sorry i wasnt clear
Old 11.15.2018, 05:45 PM   #50096
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Well I don't think I'm saying anything controversial or insightful when I say that I think 99% of culture right now is little more than cynical bullshit. I don't even mind some of it, so long as we accept it for what it is. I can spend days on end watching z-grade horror movies that have zero substance or integrity. And love every second. The problem is where to turn when you want something more. In the context of Rock music, I used to find it in the 1% of bands like SY, Swans, Big Black, Neubauten, etc., whereas now I feel like I'm more likely to find it in the 1% of bands like Striborg, Xasthur, Oranssi Pazuzu, Convulsing, etc.
Old 11.15.2018, 05:51 PM   #50097
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Well I don't think I'm saying anything controversial or insightful when I say that I think 99% of culture right now is little more than cynical bullshit. I don't even mind some of it, so long as we accept it for what it is. I can spend days on end watching z-grade horror movies that have zero substance or integrity. And love every second. The problem is where to turn when you want something more. In the context of Rock music, I used to find it in the 1% of bands like SY, Swans, Big Black, Neubauten, etc., whereas now I feel like I'm more likely to find it in the 1% of bands like Striborg, Xasthur, Oranssi Pazuzu, Convulsing, etc.
aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh....

okay that makes sense especially in the context of your earlier statement

not so much about "innovation" but about that "something more" i guess

the ongoing creation of... artistic value?

btw, on that regard, i'm listening to this right now ha ha

some of it sounds so OLD now. i still love it.
Old 11.15.2018, 06:34 PM   #50098
demonrail666
invito al cielo

The only King Crimson album I've heard is ItCotKC and never been able to get into it, despite multiple efforts. Although I seem to have a problem with Prog generally.
Old 11.15.2018, 06:37 PM   #50099
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I dig.

I think I gravitated from rock to hip-hop and electronic in much the same way you did to metal. Still 1% all around, though. Tops.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2018, 06:40 PM   #50100
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The only King Crimson album I've heard is ItCotKC and never been able to get into it, despite multiple efforts. Although I seem to have a problem with Prog generally.

Alas, King Crimson's studio albums aren't on Spotify, which is a shame.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
2005240524552495250225032504 2505 250625072508251525552605 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth