Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonic Sounds (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   24 Songs For $220,000...What A Deal! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=16849)

5Against1 10.05.2007 04:18 PM

24 Songs For $220,000...What A Deal!

She should have used iTunes. A woman in Minnesota was fined $220,000 Thursday for file sharing involving 24 songs...WTF? The law has to catch up to technology in a more efficient way, this draconian ruling isn't going to deter anyone.

HaydenAsche 10.05.2007 04:22 PM

I'll cut a bitch.

the ikara cult 10.05.2007 04:55 PM

How shit for her though, i mean look at the "out of print records" thread - i know its morally different, but is it legally?

terminal pharmacy 10.05.2007 05:37 PM

i'll bet it was all shit music too.....................

hat and beard 10.05.2007 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the ikara cult
How shit for her though, i mean look at the "out of print records" thread - i know its morally different, but is it legally?

As far as that thread goes, yes. I very much doubt a small independent label would be willing or have the resources to sue someone for downloading a OOP edition of 100 (or 1,000 or 10,000) record. Very little of what's posted on there comes from corporate monster labels, and even if it is it probably isn't likely to see the light of day again and no one will ever give a rat's posterior.
I think people should definitely respect the owner of the work's wishes if they don't want it shared, though.

Savage Clone 10.05.2007 06:40 PM

The news reports here said something about 17,000 songs.

5Against1 10.05.2007 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Savage Clone
The news reports here said something about 17,000 songs.

The labels only acted on 24 songs though.

terminal pharmacy 10.05.2007 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat and beard
As far as that thread goes, yes. I very much doubt a small independent label would be willing or have the resources to sue someone for downloading a OOP edition of 100 (or 1,000 or 10,000) record. Very little of what's posted on there comes from corporate monster labels, and even if it is it probably isn't likely to see the light of day again and no one will ever give a rat's posterior.
I think people should definitely respect the owner of the work's wishes if they don't want it shared, though.

i myself don't download music, but i am however currently uploading some very hard to get syd barrett era pink floyd......... link anyone

The Usher 10.06.2007 08:03 AM

Hmm, it definately makes you think though, I download quite a bit of stuff so i do worry about it, but then again what are the chances of them actually prosecuting you?

PAULYBEE2656 10.06.2007 08:12 AM

did she charge for folk downloadeing them?????? you can easily get caught by doing that. also if you upload kanye west or eminem or mcshit and the mcshitters up, you have more chance of getting caught then upping a double leopards rare white label.........

Amnesiac3240 10.07.2007 10:31 AM

Check It

"Thomas, an employee of the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe, an Indian tribe, was ordered to pay a 9,250-dollar fine for each of 24 shared songs cited in the case, including Godsmack's "Spiral," Destiny's Child's "Bills, Bills, Bills" and Sara McLachlan's "Building a Mystery."
It could have been a lot worse.
The fine could have reached 150,000 dollars a song if the jury had found "willful" copyright infringement.
Had the record companies sued her for all 1,702 songs found in the online folder the fine could have run in the millions."

The Usher 10.07.2007 02:26 PM

Yeah, I agree. Man, this sucks big time.

How much fuckin money do record companies want to make...I just don't buy the idea that they are loosing loads of money due to illegal downloads.
The amount of money the record companies and the artists make is totally disgusting, why should they make so much money from just putting out some music...

terminal pharmacy 10.07.2007 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Usher
Yeah, I agree. Man, this sucks big time.

How much fuckin money do record companies want to make...I just don't buy the idea that they are loosing loads of money due to illegal downloads.
The amount of money the record companies and the artists make is totally disgusting, why should they make so much money from just putting out some music...

the artists make fuck all from the records, when i was in the industry about 18 cents in each record went to the artist which is very little when the average is $30. touring is where they make the money....

StevOK 10.07.2007 08:53 PM

We're all safe. The record companies only care about the most popular 15% of music. They only are trying to get people that download popular shit like Nickelback and other such major label puppets.

Dead-Air 10.07.2007 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hat and beard

If only that were completely true. The problem is, the RIAA "represents" many, many artists, and not too few labels even, who aren't asking for their "help". What they are looking at is the activity as traceable from cow towing ISPs much more than the content. I suspect that, yes, they are most interested in pursuing people with a hard-drive full of Britney and Eminem open for others to share than they are the obscure stuff, but don't count on them keeping that close of track. They seem to be web-crawling at random overall.