Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kim Gordon and Kathleen Hanna (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=42018)

kinn 12.12.2010 05:10 PM

the only womens movement i support is the one to stop reproducing and end the perpetuation of humanity. what's that one called again? oh yeah - death.

kinn 12.12.2010 05:13 PM

lol. to be fair celibacy lesbianism and at the worst using protection can do the same job.

i got your back sistas.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
Yeah! Let's just play the same 3 chords over and over again! Remember, it's not about the music. Skinned Teen is really kewl and riot and they sucked, so we can too! Get out there grrlz!

One of the reasons they irritate me is their lack of understanding of creative inequality. They seem to think that being artistic should be for everyone, and it's not, nevermind gender.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 05:14 PM

Remember when Courtney Love was initially friendly with riot grrl? Before she punched Kathleen Hanna out for saying her baby was shooting up crack.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzDaVz_PXk

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
One of the reasons they irritate me is their lack of understanding of creative inequality. They seem to think that being artistic should be for everyone, and it's not, nevermind gender.

This statement feels strange to me, but I agree. Their motto is something like "if your best friend gets it, that's all that matters." Well, okay, but didn't they want to reach the entirety of womynkind? Seems contradictory.

kinn 12.12.2010 05:18 PM

can we start a riot grrl band called "3 bitter queers"?

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 05:22 PM

Quote:

This statement feels strange to me, but I agree. Their motto is something like "if your best friend gets it, that's all that matters." Well, okay, but didn't they want to reach the entirety of womynkind? Seems contradictory.

Creative excellence exists in all humankind. That will never mean all human beings should be artistic regardless of how much some of us try.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 05:26 PM

Let's do it.

This guiltless white middle-class English woman from the countryside didn't like riot grrrl and is therefore an over privileged sex-traitor and not sufficiently riotous or revolutionary:

kinn 12.12.2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Creative excellence exists in all humankind. That will never mean all human beings should be artistic regardless of how much some of us try.

i only want to hear the "art" of someone who is against humanity and creativity.

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinn

If we call it riot grrr we'd have all the bears supporting us, and they're all retarded because they call themselves bears. too many of them being adults and all that.

kinn 12.12.2010 05:30 PM

revolution bear style now.

Decayed Rhapsody 12.12.2010 05:31 PM

NO, please, do not recruit The Bears. Don't they already have queercore?

Genteel Death 12.12.2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Let's do it.

This guiltless white middle-class English woman from the countryside didn't like riot grrrl and is therefore an over privileged sex-traitor and not sufficiently riotous or revolutionary:

Good example of someone who knows better. That girl from Circuit des Yeux ir another one. There are many others.

kinn 12.12.2010 09:21 PM

bitterest thread EVA

Decayed Rhapsody 12.13.2010 12:38 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQGGbIGbq_o

bloodcrystallisetosand 12.13.2010 07:39 AM

Do any of you think that any of the music is any good? Having - accurately and forcefully - discounted the riot grrl politics as being a bucketful of shite spewed out by indulgent, comfy, white, middle-class teenagers, and, again, the profligacy of 3 chords wonders, do you think that any of the music at all was worth the time of day? For example, I've always quite liked Bikini Kill, not for the politics or the ingenuity but becuase they wrote some fun bouncy songs.

Also, Revolution Bear Style Now is going to take the world by storm!

stu666 12.13.2010 07:55 AM

i still listen to Huggy Bear and Bikini Kill on a regular basis

EVOLghost 12.13.2010 08:00 AM

^ Huggy Bear Is The Shit!

Decayed Rhapsody 12.13.2010 10:24 AM

I like some Bikini Kill songs, some Huggy Bear songs, Slant 6. Is Autoclave considered riot grrrl? There was some worthwhile music in there. Huggy Bear had humor. And some of them went on to be quite good songwriters in Comet Gain. I think it's time for a Huggy Bear reissue.

SONIC GAIL 12.13.2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinn

<3 ALL OF U