Between The Times & The Tides LP

Between The Times & The Tides, Lee’s first song-based solo album, was released on March 20, 2012.

“Songs can go a million different ways,” declares Lee Ranaldo in the liner notes for his forthcoming Matador solo album, ‘Between The Times & The Tides’, and let me be the first to accuse the Sonic Youth guitarist / not-often-enough vocalist of severe hyperbole. The kinetic, crafted results on ‘Between…’ are more in the several thousand territory, but it’s most certainly a record that will amaze even the most ardent followers of Ranaldo’s work. Joined by an all-star cast including Nels Cline, Alan Licht, John Medeski, bassist Irwin Menken and longtime associate Steve Shelley (and featuring cameos from old friends Jim O’Rourke and Bob Bert), the album is equal parts smart, confident and loose in a manner that recalls some of our favorite rock’n’roll projects…yet sounds like a fantastic new band that was apparently being assembled right under our noses.–Gerard Cosloy/Matablog

Produced by Lee Ranaldo and John Agnello

Lee Ranaldo: vocals & guitars
guitars: Alan Licht, Nels Cline
keyboards: John Medeski
bass: Irwin Menken, Jim O’Rourke
drums: Steve Shelley
percussion: Bob Bert
additional vocals: Kathy Leisen, Leah Singer

Matablog Link to hear ‘Off The Wall’

Matador Records announcement about the new LP

14 Responses to Between The Times & The Tides LP

1. Can’t wait! I’m a big fan of Lee, and always thought he wrote the best Sonic Youth songs.

2. Pingback: Matador-signed Lee Ranaldo opened for Yo La Tengo on night 3 (Pussy Galore opening another?) | | Guitars for BeginnersGuitars for Beginners - Guitar Learning Website for All Guitar Beginners

3. shoés says:

Hey there!

I would love to post above photo on my photoblog ( http://burnedshoes.tumblr.com ) cuz I’m a) a big big Sonic Youth (& Lee Ranaldo Fan) for over 17 or 18 years now and b) I really love the photo.

Could you please tell me:
    a) the photographer’s name,
    b) the year the photo was taken (I guess 2011, right?), and
    c) maybe a few words about the photo shoot: was it special, did anything funny/special/interesting happen while shooting?

I would be extreeeemely happy if you could provide me with these answers, THANK YOU!

Can’t wait to get the album,
    all the best,
    shoés

4. Fabiano says:

I really look forward to hear the new album!
    “Off The Wall” is an amazing song and i’m sure the rest will be even better!
    Cheers from Italy,
    Fabiano

5. Great new album!!!!!
    i’m looking for lights & fields!
    peace, poetry, freedom!
    best
    B.K

6. Will says:

The photo on the cover of this album was taken across the street from my apartment building. It is located at the corner of Church St. and Barclay St. in Manhattan.

7. Flavio Martins says:

My God, Lee. GREAT is a word that would never mean what I felt listening to every song of this album. Thank you!

8. Pingback: Lee Ranaldo Talks Occupy Wall Street, Sonic Youth, And His New Solo Album | Occupy Calgary

9. Gk says:

Just home from seeing you at the Nelsonville Music Festival. I loved the show! I’ve been a sonic youth fan since I first heard daydream nation back when it was released and I was in college. Tonight’s show captured much of what I admire most about SY. I particularly liked the cover of thank you for sending me an angel…it was roughed up in a way that I always sort of knew/hoped it could be!

Thanks!

10. Pingback: Sonic Youth: Walking Through Lower Manhattan « Lower Manhattan Diary

11. Bill says:

I just saw you at the XPN Festival and WOW were you and your band phenominal!!! Never heard your music before, don’t know where I was during Sonic Youth, under my rock I guess. Thanks for a great vibe!

12. Pingback: Lee Ranaldo: quién dijo Sonic Youth | Un poco de silencio, por favor...

13. Pingback: Lee Ranaldo and Marc Ribot at Pritzker

14. Pingback: Ceramic Dog live review in Underground Bee (Chicago, IL) | Northern Spy Records |