Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.26.2014, 07:08 PM   #18281
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51

5. The Green Berets (1968)- It would be easy to dismiss John Wayne's Vietnam film was gung-ho Americana, but that's too easy. It's much better than that. Dealing with the war at the height of its volcanic temperament both here and abroad, "The Green Berets" satisfies its anti-war clique by addressing their concerns in the beginning and then embedding a liberal reporter with Wayne's group as they try and defend an outpost in the Vietnam jungle, questioning many of the film's attitudes towards the event. The war scenes are admirably filmed (except for a few model/dummy explosion scenes that are straight B-movie stuff) and even my lackluster admiration for Wayne as an actor is subdued by the rich characterizations and easy sentimentality.

I have a soft spot for it too but it just feels hopelessly out of step with its age: playing like something made twenty years earlier.

The director Ray Kellog started out as a sfx guy on b movies which probably explains some of the wonky model set ups.

I'd say it's better than its reputation suggests but, given how bad its reputation is, it could hardly be anything else.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2014, 10:39 AM   #18282
OzGem
empty page

OzGem has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
The Raid. Was pretty entertaining. Lots of action.
OzGem is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2014, 10:52 AM   #18283
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51
7. The Tit and the Moon (1994)- Bigas Luna's childhood fantasy film about a young boy's obsession with the breasts of a traveling circus woman (Mathilde May) after he becomes jealous of his newborn sibling. Like Luna's other 90's films (especially "Jamon, Jamon"), "The Tit and the Moon" is an elaborate soap opera where lust, fantasy, childhood and adulthood swirl around in high style. It's entertaining, but ultimately forgettable.

noo… i loved this one! yes, upon rewatch it wasn't such a great quality film, but it has something unforgettable for me actually-- not sure if the story or the characters or the kid's theory of the milk cycle or that "al primer rayo de la luuuuuuuna…" or everything combined, but i've found myself thinking about that movie regularly over the years. i suppose it's that i find it has some fundamental truths about things that other films are afraid to show.

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2014, 11:22 PM   #18284
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
noo… i loved this one! yes, upon rewatch it wasn't such a great quality film, but it has something unforgettable for me actually-- not sure if the story or the characters or the kid's theory of the milk cycle or that "al primer rayo de la luuuuuuuna…" or everything combined, but i've found myself thinking about that movie regularly over the years. i suppose it's that i find it has some fundamental truths about things that other films are afraid to show.

I've been on a Bigas Luna kick lately after finding a ton of his films on torrents, and I think my main reason I called "The Tit and the Moon" forgettable is because so many of his other films are just incredible. "The Ages of Lulu", "Anguish" and "Caniche" especially. Also, "The Tit and the Moon" reminded me sooo much of Julio Medem's films of the 90's, which get at the roots of childhood, fantasy and unrequited love in much more touching ways. By the way, if you like Luna, I highly suggest Medem's films such as "Earth", "Vacas", "The Red Squirrel" and especially "Lovers of the Arctic Circle", which is one of the most under appreciated films ever and one of the best of the 90's!
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2014, 12:52 AM   #18285
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I just watch The Last Samurai for the first time.. I had a gut feeling I would like it back in 2003 when it came out but it got shitted on in reviews so I didnt bother. Whoa, this was one of the most visually beautiful movies ive ever seen and the storyline and dialogue was superb! Fuck the bullshit, I loved this movie

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2014, 12:57 PM   #18286
Diesel
invito al cielo

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Dune. Complete garbage.

Off to watch Demons.
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2014, 01:32 PM   #18287
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Cloud atlas which blew my mind. Original Nightmare On Elm Street which was so much better than I.remembered. Silent Hill which was si much worse than I remembered but that game was stunningly terrifying

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
Old 10.26.2014, 08:19 AM   #18288
Diesel
invito al cielo

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome review time.
I watched Demons. Duh.

Sort of awesome, sort of shit. Pretty much any superior awesomeness is undermined by 80's hair metal shite soudtrack.

Grave Encounters. Nowt but rip-off/illogical/cliche bullshit. FUCK OFF.
Old 10.26.2014, 01:24 PM   #18289
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

I found it disappointing.

As someone said on IMDB Joaquin Phoenix just seems "to be channeling nerdy Johnny Galecki from The Big Bang Theory".

The strong retrofuturistic aspect ended up annoying me too.

I really liked Amy Adams and Rooney Mara's acting though (very convincing and touching).
Old 10.26.2014, 01:55 PM   #18290
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Grave Encounters. Nowt but rip-off/illogical/cliche bullshit. FUCK OFF.

that movie is my guilty pleasure!

entertaining and terrifying too

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2014, 03:09 PM   #18291
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

lol.so gay.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 02:52 AM   #18292
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Maps to the Stars 9/10
Nightcrawler 9/10

Both gripping and fucked up thrillers
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 09:42 AM   #18293
Diesel
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_

Have you saw Session 9 Slavo? If not, similar setup. There's a nightime scene with this guy wondering around an abandoned hopital at night with a torch and headphones plugged in is really creepy and atmospheric. Worth watching just for this part alone.
Old 10.27.2014, 03:17 PM   #18294
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Silence of the lambs.. it was surprisingly better than I remembered.. I also watched some Alien Nation movie, in the 90s I really liked this.show but the movie was terrible in the sense that it didnt come across as a movie at all, just an extended episode of the tv version

Old 10.27.2014, 03:33 PM   #18295
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel
Dune. Complete garbage.

That's what the Emperor's lackeys would say.....

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 05:30 PM   #18296
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

come on, we've all watched that movie because it's dune, and we love dune, but as a movie, this is a massive turd. the de laurentiis fucked it up to the point that lynch himself won't recognize the film as his (this is lynch's "spartacus", if you wanna draw a parallel w/ kubrick repudiating his only movie where assholes meddled).

dune the book is amazing, dune the movie is just a poor adaptation of a great book. full of holes and horribly put together with voiceovers. they should have let lynch do his 3 hours.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2014, 07:31 PM   #18297
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Babadook, best horror movie I've seen in years.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 08:00 AM   #18298
Diesel
invito al cielo

Quote:

I'd be much more concerned with what the Emperor's Carkeys had to say. That is indeed if the Emperor has a car and those cars keys had thoughts and articulated those thoughts through a mouth (as opposed to brain - because that could be someone else's thoughts intercepting the telepathic stream, duh). I'd be VERY concerned indeed to hear those thoughts. I mean the keys could belong to a Volvo. The lights would never switch off! Nicolas Cage could be living on the back seat stinking the place out reprising his role from Leaving Las Vegas.
Old 10.28.2014, 08:21 AM   #18299
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
come on, we've all watched that movie because it's dune, and we love dune, but as a movie, this is a massive turd. the de laurentiis fucked it up to the point that lynch himself won't recognize the film as his (this is lynch's "spartacus", if you wanna draw a parallel w/ kubrick repudiating his only movie where assholes meddled).

dune the book is amazing, dune the movie is just a poor adaptation of a great book. full of holes and horribly put together with voiceovers. they should have let lynch do his 3 hours.

It is true. all true. Sometimes the amazing failures are more fun than the amazing successes.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.28.2014, 08:23 AM   #18300
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sometimes the amazing failures are more fun than the amazing successes.

Yeah, I enjoy Dune because of its failings rather than in spite of them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
815865905912913914 915 916917918925 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth