Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.03.2014, 12:32 PM   #17821
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I hated TCM2 the first time I saw it but once I accepted it for what it is rather than what I wanted it to be (a simple continuation of the first one) I grew to like it a lot. It's also been pretty influential in its way. There definitely seems to be a lot of TCM2 in Rob Zombie's movies. Probably due a 'seminal' prefix by now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2014, 12:59 PM   #17822
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Agree with you v much on "TCM2". I've seen at least one Rob Zombie film I can remember ("House of 1,000 Corpses"?), and yes, that is definitely imbued with said sequel.

I also like "Poltergeist" as well, by and large. Still haven't seen "The Funhouse" yet - is that worth checking out?

My blog be here: http://mellysingsdoom.blogspot.co.uk/
MellySingsDoom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2014, 01:19 PM   #17823
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.03.2014, 01:23 PM   #17824
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Still haven't seen "The Funhouse" yet - is that worth checking out?

Definitely. Massively underrated. Have you seen his version of Salem's Lot? The one with James Mason and David Soul. Outrageously good for a made for tv movie.
Old 02.03.2014, 02:44 PM   #17825
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
I bought Eaten Alive/Death Trap on DVD for a £1 or something not long after I saw TCM for the first time and was really excited for more. I hard a really hard time making it to the end of Eaten Alive as it was so booooring. It's weird that a guy could go from awesome to awful so abruptly.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.04.2014, 01:19 AM   #17826
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Definitely. Massively underrated. Have you seen his version of Salem's Lot? The one with James Mason and David Soul. Outrageously good for a made for tv movie.

Thanks, demon. Will check out both "The Funhouse" and Hooper's "Salem's Lot" as soon as I can.

Old 02.04.2014, 01:20 AM   #17827
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I bought Eaten Alive/Death Trap on DVD for a £1 or something not long after I saw TCM for the first time and was really excited for more. I hard a really hard time making it to the end of Eaten Alive as it was so booooring. It's weird that a guy could go from awesome to awful so abruptly.

Heh! Fair enough on you not liking it at all, and certainly agree with you by and large on your last point.

Old 02.04.2014, 06:30 PM   #17828
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
WHITNAIL AND I

i had never heard of this shit

very fucking funny
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 09:41 AM   #17829
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
PARIS (2008) by cédric klapisch

this was an altman-esque run through various characters and situations, all interconnected somehow. it was a good movie, not a great one, but i really loved it and would see it again-- possibly because i generally like the french a lot and this is one of those movies that makes me want to be there instead of saying "ohh, whatta mooby". plus, there are a bunch of beautiful women in it.
Old 02.05.2014, 10:04 AM   #17830
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

i had never heard of this shit

Over here that film is so embeded in the culture that it transcends things like mainstream and non-mainstream. It seems strange that in other places places don't know it.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 12:30 PM   #17831
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Over here that film is so embeded in the culture that it transcends things like mainstream and non-mainstream. It seems strange that in other places places don't know it.

i had it recommended by netflix-- their servers know what i like. i can see why it can be very much an english thing though-- it's not that it's incomprehensible or untranslatable to foreigners, but that it's very "national" in its context and references, and that can make it hard to pick up elsewhere ("ponce" and "toilet [something]", oxford/eton, the unemployment checks or whatever it is they get, fear of armed peasants, the novel that marwood is reading, class differences, etc. etc.)
Old 02.05.2014, 12:45 PM   #17832
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It has a similar 'quintessentially English' thing to Python or Fawlty Towers which apparently have a pretty big cult following in the US, so I'm slightly surprised W&I doesn't have a similar following there.
Old 02.05.2014, 12:49 PM   #17833
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
W&I is known around the film nerds and fanboys. Nowhere near as much as Python or Fawlty.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2014, 12:53 PM   #17834
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
It has a similar 'quintessentially English' thing to Python or Fawlty Towers which apparently have a pretty big cult following in the US, so I'm slightly surprised W&I isn't that big there as well.

my wife can recite every fawlty towers episode by heart and we regularly watch english stuff which is i think why netflix said to get it (we recently watched the first seasons of "upstairs downstairs," which were suprisingly entertaining).

python is bigger than that-- at least here in 'merica, especially in nerd/computer culture, it has been a constant presence. their absurdist humor is less context-dependent and can be more easily repurposed, i think.

plus, terry gilliam is from minnehaha, or however one spells the name of that american state.
Old 02.05.2014, 02:08 PM   #17835
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I never liked Python stuff. Never have found it more than mildly humorous at best.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Old 02.05.2014, 02:16 PM   #17836
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

and yet, the influence of monty python can be found in things as diverse as…

oh, too much work. check here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_P...ural_influence

plus a ton of things that haven't yet made it too that page.
Old 02.05.2014, 02:37 PM   #17837
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Shit has just as much influence as gold. Influence does not = worth.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Old 02.05.2014, 02:51 PM   #17838
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
The Running Man.

Fucking shit 1980s Schwarzneggar movies remind me why I love the guy. He was good. And no, I don't care if you disagree with me

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2014, 05:45 PM   #17839
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

i needed a break from too much thinking and got me BLUE JASMINE

cate blanchett is FANTASTIC. out of this planet. damn, can she act! i can't praise her enough. she's a force of nature. more than brilliant. just-- wow.
Old 02.06.2014, 07:01 PM   #17840
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

cate blanchett is FANTASTIC. out of this planet. damn, can she act! i can't praise her enough. she's a force of nature. more than brilliant. just-- wow.

I've not seen that film but I'm glad you said that. She's one of those who's famous and respected but still doesn't get the praise I think she deserves. And almost inconceivably beautiful. Which may be her problem re critical recognition.
792842882889890891 892 893894895902 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth