Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2013, 05:11 PM   #17701
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Half of me wants to see that but is it really depressing? I can't seem to handle really downer/bleak movies anymore.

"Bullhead" is not the most uplifting movie, that's for sure haha. I'd say, yes its a downer. I still think its great.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2013, 05:17 PM   #17702
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
"Bullhead" is not the most uplifting movie, that's for sure haha. I'd say, yes its a downer. I still think its great.

Haha. Thanks. I'd heard it's excellent but I seem to really struggle with downer movies right now.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2013, 05:23 PM   #17703
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Haha. Thanks. I'd heard it's excellent but I seem to really struggle with downer movies right now.

holy mother of fuck. try watching "a separation" one of these days. UNFUCKINGBEARABLE! yes, yes, it won many awards, but when i watch i just wanna kill everyone in it and the guy who made it. as close to living in iran as i can imagine-- and that-- i just don't wanna fucking do that, i don't came how many golden palms/bears/whatever trophies that shit has won. my life is not long enough to spend the 2, 3 hours that it takes to watch it (i watched half and it felt like FOREVER).

speaking of long slow movies, about to watch (i think) antonioni's "red desert".
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2013, 05:42 PM   #17704
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Red Desert is definitely slow but it's not bleak in the way that I assumed Bullhead to be. I don't mind the more existential(?) bleakness that I associate with the likes of Antonioni but I really can't handle extreme violence anymore, at least in any kind of realistic way. I'll happily watch a John Woo movie or a series like Miami Vice or anything highly stylised like that, but when it starts to feel overtly 'real', I can't seem to handle it anymore. I watched Walter Hill's Last Man Standing the other night, which has to be about as violent as a Hollywood movie could be, but it's so stylised that it didn't bother me at all. I loved it in fact.

For years those more bleak/visceral movies were the very kind that I gravitated towards but they now just leave me a bit too depressed. Same with literature. I tried to reread Last Exit to Brooklyn recently (for years one of my very fave novels) but I couldn't seem to get past more than a few pages of it. I could handle Blood Meridian, though, just because it was so extreme and so alien from anything I could possibly experience or relate to that it didn't really bother me.
Old 07.22.2013, 02:02 AM   #17705
h8kurdt
expwy. to yr skull

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
The Red Desert is definitely slow but it's not bleak in the way that I assumed Bullhead to be. I don't mind the more existential(?) bleakness that I associate with the likes of Antonioni but I really can't handle extreme violence anymore, at least in any kind of realistic way. I'll happily watch a John Woo movie or a series like Miami Vice or anything highly stylised like that, but when it starts to feel overtly 'real', I can't seem to handle it anymore. I watched Walter Hill's Last Man Standing the other night, which has to be about as violent as a Hollywood movie could be, but it's so stylised that it didn't bother me at all. I loved it in fact.

For years those more bleak/visceral movies were the very kind that I gravitated towards but they now just leave me a bit too depressed. Same with literature. I tried to reread Last Exit to Brooklyn recently (for years one of my very fave novels) but I couldn't seem to get past more than a few pages of it. I could handle Blood Meridian, though, just because it was so extreme and so alien from anything I could possibly experience or relate to that it didn't really bother me.

As my fav book of all time this bothers me. Yeah it's bleak...but...but it's so good! If you want bleak (or not) then try The Room by him.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 05:55 AM   #17706
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Bullhead is on my list of stuff to see, sometimes I want bleakness and misery.

A Separation was the most subtly handled and intelligent depiction of divorce I've seen in any film or TV thing ever, totally reminded me of how much it sucks being a child caught up in that type of shit, but in a good way. I'd highly recommend About Elly the other film from that director that has made it as far as being translated.

I saw this on Saturday, it was totally awesome:

Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 06:20 AM   #17707
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2013, 07:22 AM   #17708
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
As my fav book of all time this bothers me. Yeah it's bleak...but...but it's so good! If you want bleak (or not) then try The Room by him.

I've read The Room. I've read all his novels. You'd have to agree, though, that they're not something you can read in any mood and I suppose I just haven't been in the right mood to read them for a little while now. I'd never criticise any of them, though.
Old 07.23.2013, 10:09 AM   #17709
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses

It's my favorite by Waters I think.

Still love this movie.
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 10:32 AM   #17710
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Oh I also watched Mike Leigh's lighthearted comedy about the every day lives of a working class family in London, titled "Life is Sweet". David Thewlis is great in a minor role. His wistfully haunting performance in Leigh's "Naked" is one of my favorites of all time.
Old 07.23.2013, 11:12 AM   #17711
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Oh I also watched Mike Leigh's lighthearted comedy about the every day lives of a working class family in London, titled "Life is Sweet". David Thewlis is great in a minor role. His wistfully haunting performance in Leigh's "Naked" is one of my favorites of all time.

I don't know how you could interpret a film like Naked as being wistful.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 11:15 AM   #17712
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

It's my favorite by Waters I think.

Seriously????

Just watched

Silverado

It's a western. It's got Kevin Costner in it. So I loved it.

I spontaneously cheered at the bit of the movie at the end of this clip
Old 07.23.2013, 11:31 AM   #17713
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I don't know how you could interpret a film like Naked as being wistful.

Can you elaborate? It makes perfect sense to me.
Old 07.23.2013, 11:37 AM   #17714
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Seriously????

Yeah. I haven't seen everything hes done though. I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of Pink Flamingos, but that's mostly due to preference. It's way too repulsive for me, personally. Serial Mom is very clever, even if some of it is a bit outdated at this point. I also find that its bright and shiny atmosphere actually makes the film a bit more disturbing... and the acting is surprisingly good (Kathleen Turner's performance especially).
Old 07.23.2013, 11:43 AM   #17715
dead_battery
expwy. to yr skull

dead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's assesdead_battery kicks all y'all's asses
"Wistfully I raped a Manchester lass in an alley, before absconding from the North in a stolen car, lest I meet vindication at the hands of Her Majestys Constabulary.

Arriving in the capital, homeless, broke and with no prospects or employment, I wistfully spent the night sleeping rough outside the abode of an acquaintance. And what luck, for her fellow lodger appeared 'pon the ninth hour of the morn and invited my shivering person into her dining chambers.

After the wistful consumption of refreshments my female acquaintance arrived and we discussed the matter of our last engagement. As I was feeling rather wistful I then embarked on a long, bleak existential ramble, which resulted in a rather wistful public assault by a band of intransigent hooligans. Wistfully, I retreated back to my lady friends abode where I found the lodger that had so pleasantly entertained me before midday had been herself raped by an uncouth financier with a penchant for a white crystallized alkaloid substance derived from the common cocoa leaf."
dead_battery is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 11:44 AM   #17716
demonrail666
invito al cielo

If you don't like Pink Flamingoes then yeah, I guess you could prefer his later stuff. He's been on a downward slide for me though ever since Divine and David Lochary died.
Old 07.23.2013, 11:55 AM   #17717
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
plus he got old and quit smoking and went mainstream and... egh! his best period was by far the 70s (multiple maniacs/pink flamingos/female trouble/desperate living) and throw in polyester for the last divine film. for those achievements he should be eternally worshipped. the rest is a downward spiral. i think hairspray marked the beginning of the end. i did like cecil b. demented though. but i remember when i went to see... what's the name of it... the one about the perverts (i forget the name, with tracy ullman) i felt a little sad for him. he hasn't made a movie since but instead he took hairspray to broadway-- well, good for the broadway public, but not my thing.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 12:57 PM   #17718
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I thought Pecker was cool, but more of an artsy thang than the bizarre stuff Waters did in the 70's

RXTT.net

My Comics

Rob Instigator is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 01:19 PM   #17719
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Pecker actually was kind of cool, I enjoyed it. It was a more fitting roll for EddieFurlong than that tough-guy kid he was casted from T2 through American History X.. Arsty nerd seems more like him.. Then again, that was skinny, younger Eddie, now?

This guy looks like trouble,
like the kind of guy you'd arbitrarily shoot five dollars too
just to get him the fuck out of your way..

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.23.2013, 02:53 PM   #17720
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
plus he got old and quit smoking and went mainstream and... egh! his best period was by far the 70s (multiple maniacs/pink flamingos/female trouble/desperate living) and throw in polyester for the last divine film. for those achievements he should be eternally worshipped. the rest is a downward spiral. i think hairspray marked the beginning of the end. i did like cecil b. demented though. but i remember when i went to see... what's the name of it... the one about the perverts (i forget the name, with tracy ullman) i felt a little sad for him. he hasn't made a movie since but instead he took hairspray to broadway-- well, good for the broadway public, but not my thing.

My thoughts exactly. Polyester was the last JW's film I really loved.

I think the Tracy Ullman one you're thinking of is A Dirty Shame, which I really didn't like at all.
786836876883884885 886 887888889896 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth