Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.28.2013, 11:32 AM   #16921
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses

Old 03.28.2013, 02:23 PM   #16922
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Also, Playtime is Tati's masterpiece. One of my favorite films

Sadly, I haven't seen that much by him. Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Trafic were very enjoyable too. Anyone have recommendations?

he didn't make too many, so if you'll quickly watch them all... there's one he wrote for his daughter and was made recently as an animation... the illusionist. haven't watched it yet but it's on my netflix queue.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 07:30 PM   #16923
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't seen Traffic or The Illusionist but can recommend Jour de fete. Less anarchic than Playtime, it's gentler, more like Holiday. A great Sunday afternoon film.

Just watched

The Asphalt Jungle.

Loved it. In another age, Sterling Hayden would've made a great Judge Dredd.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 07:41 PM   #16924
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Gummo was a soulless waste of time.

I don't hate it but always thought it looked like one of those 'edgy' fashion spreads you see in style mags. Spring Breakers just seems like it'll be the same kind of thing. I' wanna see it but I'll wait till it's on DVD cos I imagine I'll be wanking through most of it.
Old 03.28.2013, 08:20 PM   #16925
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, I sometimes get those two films mixed up. They're almost identical in lots of ways. I prefer Asphalt Jungle but not by much; they're both great.

I've never seen any evidence to support it but I wonder if Robert Bresson was thinking of the end of Asphalt Jungle when he shot the climax of Au hasard Balthazar.
Old 03.29.2013, 09:49 AM   #16926
ilduclo
the end of the ugly

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
going to see On the Road this weekend. Sounds like it's pretty true to the book
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2013, 02:18 PM   #16927
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses

fanny and alexander, tv version, on blu-ray

OH, THE FUCKING DELIGHT!!
Old 03.29.2013, 02:41 PM   #16928
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
I never noticed that, but I will watch them both again soon to try and understand what you mean by that.

It's probably nothing. It just struck me when watching the final scene with Sterling Hayden, who's been shot and dies surrounded by horses just after the scene where the commissionar has described him as an animal. The Hayden character is seen as a loyal 'beast of burden' type even by his accomplisses. Then obviously in Bresson's film, Balthasar is shot after helping criminals and lays down to die with the animals, too. Like I say, there may be no connection at all, and I'm certainly not saying Hayden's character is meant to be in any way Christ-like. I've never heard of Bresson citing that scene as an influence but who knows?

Just watched

Bullitt

The car chase still holds up (and if anything gets better every time I watch it) and I don't see how anyone couldn't like Steve McQueen. I've never been that into the movie as a whole, though. Surprising because on paper at least it should be just the kind of thing I'd love, and I'm still not sure why I don't. Although it's a film I'll never miss if I notice it on TV - perhaps in the hope that it'll finally win me over completely.
Old 03.30.2013, 05:43 AM   #16929
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2013, 11:27 AM   #16930
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.30.2013, 06:13 PM   #16931
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

tom stoppard's anna karenina directed by some guy whp's name i don't remember

the trailer, at the movies, had looked spectacular, and i love the novel, and i like tom stoppard, so i HAD TO watch this.

at first it was QUITE FUCKING GRATING to adapt to the conceit that the whole movie is staged-- on a stage. kindasorta. at times the stage opens and you're in the fucking steppes. and then i thought: "oh, tom fucking stoppard, it's you and your fucking postmodernism you!" (that's the guy i was just talking about the otehr day who stuffed his plays with "theory," but i couldn't remember his name... well it is tom stoppard... anyway...)

so what happens here is that instead of getting some sort of realist recreation (like you had for example with fanny and alexander where the world is "there" in front of the camera) there is a fuckload of signifying, here. neither showing nor telling but rather "pointing at"-- bits of acting and staging that signify "here the person travels to the farm", "now they have moved to a restaurant", "and now these two are both horny." and there's a bunch of shots of little toy trains. kinda like an old godzilla movie. well, it's a kind of "telling", but it's quick.

it really breaks the conventions of narrative cinema and it's highly annoying...

...at first.

because, if you have read the novel, you know it's a massive motherfucker that takes forever to read (i read 1-2 chapters per day over a summer). and you know how movies adapt massive novels-- pick a thing or two, shine a light over it and obscure the rest, bam, it is done.

but here no! here every main piece of plot was covered! very little was missing! and this was done by-- signifyin'

****** SPOILERS GALORE NOW FURIOUSLY ENSUE **********

yes, tolstoy's disquisitions about oblonsky's calves weren't there; and levin's tortured dreams and meditations weren't spelled out word by word, but they were-- signified! you know what i mean? there was something always pointing at these things. so that if you knew the novel you could say "ah, here's where levin realizes he had been thinking wrong but living right" or, "oh shit, look at kitty's old dumb parents, all phegmy," etc.

******************SPOILERS NOW ENDED************

now how this looked like to someone with no knowledge of the novel whatsoever, i don't know. probably contrived and highly theatrical, like a baz luhrmann movie, and at times you almost expected them to break into song and dance, but fortunately (for me anyway) they didn't. regardless, all this posturing was still meaningful. plus, keira knightley's delicate neck/jawline and enormous canines are always fun to contemplate (as roland barthes made it clear-- the closeup is the reason for movies to exist).

so where was i going with this? oh yes. a high level of artificiality that serves the story well, i think. tom stoppard! you clever fucker!

the sets by the way were fucking exquisite.

3.5/5 maybe?? it was a long shot all along. and quite heroic. and it looks fucking great.

*******ONE LAST FAT SPOILER FOR THE ROAD *********

oh shit, i almost forgot-- the only part that really was lacking at the end and looked like fucking treason was they did not have vronsky going to war (in a train, of course, what else) and grinding his teeth full of deathwish. fuckers! that-- that was wrong, that. that! he doesn't just run away into the next pussy! not this time! hronged us you have with that wrong plot. does not compute. fuckers!
Old 03.31.2013, 03:47 AM   #16932
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
The guy who directed that (Joe Wright) also did Atonement. That was a great film and all it's clearly done by somebody who knows what they're doing in terms of directing.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.31.2013, 11:07 PM   #16933
demonrail666
invito al cielo

YESSS!!!!

That was the first Bresson film I ever saw and immediately made me want to see everything by him. 10/10 is right.
Old 04.01.2013, 06:40 PM   #16934
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
I just started watching Von Trier's the Kingdom, pretty impressed so far. It's kind of a cross between a hospital drama and Twin Peaks.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 08:05 PM   #16935
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad_023
I just started watching Von Trier's the Kingdom, pretty impressed so far. It's kind of a cross between a hospital drama and Twin Peaks.

Read you tweet about this......if I can find it, I plan to watch it!

Waiting for Breaking Bad Season 5 to be released on DVD at my Blockbuster. Wanted to watch Season's 5, 6 & 7 before the 8th and final Season is televised this summer.

SO - until then, tonight I'm starting Season One of, Dead Like Me. If anyone has any thoughts about this show, please share them with me.

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 08:34 PM   #16936
stalker

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

generally I hate films unless they are overbearingly shit, but tarr's film reminds me so heavily of tarkovsky, whose work I love, in that there is always an overarching misery to it; any semblance of hope is stifled, it's not even explored at all, but rather it's just drowned in the density of the atmosphere. he also has that same ability to conjure up these really beautiful images which are juxtaposed with the fact that they are blatantly horrible, painful.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 08:34 PM   #16937
stalker

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses

generally I hate films unless they are overbearingly shit, but tarr's film reminds me so heavily of tarkovsky, whose work I love, in that there is always an overarching misery to it; any semblance of hope is stifled, it's not even explored at all, but rather it's just drowned in the density of the atmosphere. he also has that same ability to conjure up these really beautiful images which are juxtaposed with the fact that they are blatantly horrible, painful.
guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 09:36 PM   #16938
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pad_023

This is strange in the good kind of way: http://youtu.be/5McczZo-u4o

אש זרה

Old 04.01.2013, 10:33 PM   #16939
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
SO - until then, tonight I'm starting Season One of, Dead Like Me. If anyone has any thoughts about this show, please share them with me.

i never liked it much but it had a semi-cult following. i think a lot of people were fans in this board. i can watch it, but it's just not very challenging for me-- it's one of those types of shows that always ends in a "lesson". getting schooled on the art of living by tv writers isn't exactly my thing, especially when they do it so overtly ("life is like a box of chocolates... bla bla bla bla some stupid bullshit"). but i can find some entertainment in it so it's not a total loss. C-?
Old 04.02.2013, 12:59 AM   #16940
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i never liked it much but it had a semi-cult following. i think a lot of people were fans in this board. i can watch it, but it's just not very challenging for me-- it's one of those types of shows that always ends in a "lesson". getting schooled on the art of living by tv writers isn't exactly my thing, especially when they do it so overtly ("life is like a box of chocolates... bla bla bla bla some stupid bullshit"). but i can find some entertainment in it so it's not a total loss. C-?

After posting my question, I watched a clip on Hulu and I didn't think much of it. I paid 99 cents for this rental, so I will watch all four episodes on it, but it's really going to grab my attention for me to rent any others.

I doubt anything is a good substitute for, Breaking Bad

אש זרה

747797837844845846 847 848849850857897 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth