Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.01.2012, 04:04 PM   #16401
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
murmer/h8kurdt

i think you missed the point of the movie

it's about frustration and wanting what you can never have

it's meant to be endlessly sad

and in that way it's as good as movies get

the director is not some optimistic american who thinks that the good guys win in the end

thank fuck for that
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.01.2012, 07:23 PM   #16402
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I agree. It's a film I admire a lot but find more difficult to enjoy than most of his other films. Lack of humour isn't a problem it just feels unusually heavy for a Wong Kar Wai movie. I'm a fan of his but think he's much better with more lighthearted stuff like Chung King Express or Fallen Angel.

Does some of my fave endings/credits, too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rgTRTVRf7s From about 3 mins in.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2012, 07:01 AM   #16403
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses

"X is Y" by Richard Kern
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2012, 08:35 AM   #16404
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I understood that just fine, what I said was more of a personal thing. I think the film is great, but too, um... discouraging to me to put on at any time and enjoy it. I'd have to be in a particular mood, because there literally is no humor at all from what I remember. Not a flaw or anything wrong with Kar Wai's vision, I just thought I'd mention it I suppose.

well yeah it's not everyone's favorite sunday movie-- it's not like you put on kieslowski or michael haneke on for laughs either, do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
it just feels unusually heavy for a Wong Kar Wai movie. [...] more lighthearted stuff like Chung King Express
he's a heavy melancholy fucker. maybe i remember chunking express differently but there's the sad cops and a sad maggie cheung. 2046? beautiful movie but won't leave anyone laughing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

"X is Y" by Richard Kern

so, porkers, was that any good?
Old 11.02.2012, 10:01 AM   #16405
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well yeah it's not everyone's favorite sunday movie-- it's not like you put on kieslowski or michael haneke on for laughs either, do you?

he's a heavy melancholy fucker. maybe i remember chunking express differently but there's the sad cops and a sad maggie cheung.

Chung King Express does have sad cops etc but I maintain that it has a light centre. That's its genius and Wong Kar Wai seems to be one of the few directors capable of pulling it off. Kieslowski and Haneke can do the in your face miserable thing brilliantly, so it's never a problem. The issue isn't with heavy vs light but that some directors excel in certain areas but not others. Antonioni's no less a director cos he couldn't do slapstick, any more than Mack Sennet shouldn't be criticised cos he couldn't make L'avventura. Xavi's a genius but you wouldn't stick him in goal.
Old 11.02.2012, 10:06 AM   #16406
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Chung King Express does have sad cops etc but I maintain that it has a light centre. That's its genius and Wong Kar Wai seems to be one of the few directors capable of pulling it off. Kieslowski and Haneke can do the in your face miserable thing brilliantly, so it's never a problem. The issue isn't with heavy vs light but that some directors excel in certain areas but not others. Antonioni's no less a director cos he couldn't do slapstick, any more than Mack Sennet shouldn't be criticised cos he couldn't make L'avventura. Xavi's a genius but you wouldn't stick him in goal.

right, but in the mood for love is a fucking fantastic, gorgeous movie that needs nothing except a good screen and an audience.
Old 11.02.2012, 10:19 AM   #16407
demonrail666
invito al cielo

I just wanna eat tacos with Ms Krazie
Old 11.02.2012, 10:31 AM   #16408
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I just wanna eat tacos with Ms Krazie

<cheeto>
wouldn't you rather eat maggie cheung's taco?
</cheeto>
Old 11.02.2012, 10:43 AM   #16409
demonrail666
invito al cielo

only if it's guaranteed not to be a fish one.
Old 11.02.2012, 10:48 AM   #16410
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

badum-tshhhhh!!!
Old 11.03.2012, 09:24 AM   #16411
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

I thought this movie would be an ass kicking cliche, and that I would walk away satisfied, with my brain completely turned off.
Actually, though, it's nothing of the sort. It is heart breaking and far more layered that it appears to be (probably more than it intends to be even).

Liam Nieson's character curses God in one of the most moving and uncannily true to life movie moments in my recent memory. I've never heard anyone call the almighty a "fraudulent mother-fucker" in such a real and relatable way. It made me tear up a bit, actually.

Public and critical opinion unanimously agrees that it's adrenaline fueled rubbish, which reinforces my theory that most people need more exposure to social and religious philosophy, psychodynamic thought, and the basics of symbolism and allegory.

"Yeah right, wolves don't do that! Bad movie cuz not scientifically or zoologically accurate!!!" shut the fuck up, and go give Avatar 5 stars again, shithead.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.03.2012, 02:01 PM   #16412
tw2113
the end of the ugly

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Most likely thanks to seeing it listed before in this thread:

The Last Circus
Old 11.03.2012, 09:21 PM   #16413
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Crash

Watched this again and liked it even more. It was probably a bit overrated when it came out but the resulting backlash seemed to go way too far in the opposite direction. It's not perfect by any means but it's becoming one of my favourites from the past few years.
Old 11.03.2012, 09:49 PM   #16414
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I thought this movie would be an ass kicking cliche, and that I would walk away satisfied, with my brain completely turned off.
Actually, though, it's nothing of the sort. It is heart breaking and far more layered that it appears to be (probably more than it intends to be even).

Liam Nieson's character curses God in one of the most moving and uncannily true to life movie moments in my recent memory. I've never heard anyone call the almighty a "fraudulent mother-fucker" in such a real and relatable way. It made me tear up a bit, actually.

Public and critical opinion unanimously agrees that it's adrenaline fueled rubbish, which reinforces my theory that most people need more exposure to social and religious philosophy, psychodynamic thought, and the basics of symbolism and allegory.

"Yeah right, wolves don't do that! Bad movie cuz not scientifically or zoologically accurate!!!" shut the fuck up, and go give Avatar 5 stars again, shithead.

You definitely make it sound more interesting than the other reviews I've read, which'd pretty much lead to me ignoring it. I'll look out for it now though, out of pure curiosity.
Old 11.04.2012, 11:50 AM   #16415
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You definitely make it sound more interesting than the other reviews I've read, which'd pretty much lead to me ignoring it. I'll look out for it now though, out of pure curiosity.

Yeah, you should. I'm no film expert, but I am pretty picky about movies, and generally a harsh critic. I think the movie got a bad wrap. On the other hand, I may be going overboard with my interpretation ( thank the psychoanalytic film theory classes I took for kicks in college) but I thought Liam's performance was incredible. Oscar nod worthy at the very least.

I think people's interpretations of films are clouded by their perception of the genre. Survival movies and "animals go crazy" flicks both tend to be pretty tepid and shallow, so I think the good ones are written off pretty easily. This one is different. To me anyway. Let me know your thoughts if/when you see it.
Old 11.04.2012, 01:14 PM   #16416
dale_gribble
100%

dale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's assesdale_gribble kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

i went to see tis movie because i wanted to see liam neeson punch a wolf in the face, which NEVER happened. your review is dead on though, the movie was just not what i was expecting. also there were too many scenes that dragged because of emotions that are moronic. an example would when the one dude is dying and it's about a ten minute scene with everyone else crying and being pussies...dude's fuckin' done for! move on goddammit!

dale_gribble is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.04.2012, 02:07 PM   #16417
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale_gribble
i went to see tis movie because i wanted to see liam neeson punch a wolf in the face, which NEVER happened. your review is dead on though, the movie was just not what i was expecting. also there were too many scenes that dragged because of emotions that are moronic. an example would when the one dude is dying and it's about a ten minute scene with everyone else crying and being pussies...dude's fuckin' done for! move on goddammit!

In the plane? Great scene.

But not as good as:

"I'm gonna start beatin' the shit out'a you in about five seconds, and yer gonna be swallowing a lotta fuckin' blood over a fuckin billfold if you don't put that wallet down right fucking now!"
[see realization on guy's face that he's fucking with the wrong mick as he backs away like child and obeys, pants freshly pissed]
Old 11.04.2012, 04:42 PM   #16418
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 05:41 AM   #16419
Trama
stalker

Trama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's assesTrama kicks all y'all's asses

Trama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2012, 06:20 AM   #16420
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
How is this? still haven't seen it. It looks promising.

yeah pretty good, plenty of gore and ridiculousness as usual!

watched this one last night

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
721771811818819820 821 822823824831871921 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth