Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 10.20.2012, 05:16 PM   #16381
h8kurdt
invito al cielo
 
h8kurdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In Mulder's Basement room
Posts: 2,526
h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
It isn't meaningless Rob, I think it's merely your expectations. If you look at it for what it is (a dreamlike work of art about a young ambitious actress and double identities and whatnot) then maybe you'll find meaning from a subjective standpoint. Just because a film challenges the conventional narrative order of telling a story means it's meaningless? I don't understand.

I'm not trying to attack you at all by the way, I'm just curious. If anything, Lynch's work exemplifies the truth that you don't need everything to make sense. Perhaps it's even a reflection of the outside world. Sometimes to find that "meaning" it takes some effort.

I'm not sure how anyone can't be captivated by that theater scene. If you think about it, Mulholland Dr. revolves around an innocent actress searching for stardom in Hollywood. It's amazing how much this film expresses a struggle with self-awareness. I think this is often very much a problem in reality. I also find it compelling how even after the main character is driven towards suicide, the nightmare continues. Lynch is an intuitive artist and one of the best. I think he really absorbs the life around him and expresses it in an honest way that many fail to do.


That theater scene is easily one of my fav. scenes of all time. As much as I dislike the whole hoopla of the Oscar's Naomi Watts should've gotten one for that film.
__________________


Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2012, 06:07 PM   #16382
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,963
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Dated has nothing to do with being of its age, which is inevitable, but being stuck in, and only relevant to it. Films like L'avventura, L'Eclisse, La Notte are clearly of their time but also manage to feel current in a way that I just don't think Blow Up does. It'll never be anything other than a 'sixties film', for me, which is something I'd never say about films Antonioni made earlier in that same decade.

And seriously, that you consider L'avventura 'quite enjoyable' while calling Blow Up 'great' is akin to preferring the wrong Ronaldo. I'm sorry, it just is.

ha ha ha -- the wrong ronaldo!

don't be so literal, i judge l'avventura to be the better film, but admit it, it's hard to digest, not easy to like, and it is hard to watch simply because each take lasts for fucking ever. if you let it seep in however you can enjoy it-- it's not like "oh the thrills!" though, it's a quiet deliciousness that makes a lot of demands on the viewer.

regarding blow-up, it's more commercial, more easily entered, but you peel off layers and get to the real meat, and to me it's a great movie. part of it is a sort of period piece, sure, like watching, i don't know, the lion in winter, or spartacus? you know, some historical shit, "life before AiDS". then there's teh whole aspect of the emptiness of the photographer's life which is, you know, surface "awesome" and cool for its day, but pretty horrid and boring and pointless, and more absurd 50 years later. and then there's the whole murder mystery which unlike, say, rear window, isn't a matter of finding the truth from signs, but the signs, being mediated and altered, call into question the whole reality of what is what, and that antonioni took from cortazar, nd las babas del diablo is a great short story.

whoa, barca playing w/ weird orange shirts. gtg.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2012, 09:08 PM   #16383
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo
 
foreverasskiss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: somewhere in georgia
Posts: 4,990
foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
mulholland drive is "BAd ass bitch" as far as movie theater goes and "SCared the shit out of me" confusiness 'shit'.
my fave lynch is "inland empire". sick ass hell but don't think i could watch it a third time. maybe boring.

;yeah "Inland Empire"....... digital cameras forever fuckhead.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2012, 11:03 PM   #16384
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,765
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha -- the wrong ronaldo!

don't be so literal, i judge l'avventura to be the better film, but admit it, it's hard to digest, not easy to like, and it is hard to watch simply because each take lasts for fucking ever. if you let it seep in however you can enjoy it-- it's not like "oh the thrills!" though, it's a quiet deliciousness that makes a lot of demands on the viewer.

regarding blow-up, it's more commercial, more easily entered, but you peel off layers and get to the real meat, and to me it's a great movie. part of it is a sort of period piece, sure, like watching, i don't know, the lion in winter, or spartacus? you know, some historical shit, "life before AiDS". then there's teh whole aspect of the emptiness of the photographer's life which is, you know, surface "awesome" and cool for its day, but pretty horrid and boring and pointless, and more absurd 50 years later. and then there's the whole murder mystery which unlike, say, rear window, isn't a matter of finding the truth from signs, but the signs, being mediated and altered, call into question the whole reality of what is what, and that antonioni took from cortazar, nd las babas del diablo is a great short story.

whoa, barca playing w/ weird orange shirts. gtg.

Someone who hasn't been mentioned yet is Monica Vitti, the only actor for me who seemed to get Antonioni instinctively. That's not so important for some directors but I think he's one who did require very specific things from very specific kinds of actors and Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings have both admitted to admiring Antonioni but not really understanding what he wanted from them, which I think is a big problem throughout Blow Up, with too many scenes coming over a bit too much like amateur dramatics. Although it's not just the absence of Vitti; he worked ok with Jack Nicholson, but that may be because Nicholson didn't even try to understand him.

And those shirts, I know, shocking.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 12:42 AM   #16385
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull
 
keep poppin pimples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: www.masonhq.com
Posts: 1,248
keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
The Future (2011)- 5/10
Kung Fu: The Punch of Death (1973)- 7/10
Paganini Horror (1989)- 5/10
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 08:37 AM   #16386
gast30
invito al cielo
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: where all the childeren are insaine
Posts: 7,035
gast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's assesgast30 kicks all y'all's asses
 
gast30 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 09:59 AM   #16387
Severian
expwy. to yr skull
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,315
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
The Dark Knight Rises is "back by popular demand" at some theaters in my area, so of course I said "fuck you, college football" and blew off everything to go see it again, this time in IMAX.

It was tremendous, and I now believe it to be equal in greatness to Dark Knight. Though they are great in different ways, and TDK will be remembered as the soul of the trilogy, Rises is no fucking throwaway third act. All the philosophical quandaries that made the Dark Knight so unforgettable are still there, only they are broadened to a macro-scope.

I wanted to see it again, especially since I finally got the chance to watch Spider-man and Avengers. I wanted to reevaluate it in comparison to the other "summer of superhero" films. Though those movies were both great In their own way, it's Nolan is simply not making a comparable product. He has made a series of films that stand alone, irrespective of genre, and I believe them to be truly brilliant films in general.

They're just not super hero movies. They're movies about morality, identity, and altruism... Issues that are inherently human, and decidedly "non-super."

I couldn't be prouder of these movies. Avengers was a great ride, and Amazing Spider-Man started a much needed correction of past mistakes ( I wish that franchise well; it feels like it could have a lot of potential and I think it did a lot of things right) but TDK trilogy is just a completely different beast.

Excuse me for repeating myself, as I am sure I've said most of this before, but god damn: what an achievement. I really hope the reboot doesn't happen. DC needs to leave this character alone (until Bale is old enough for a "...returns" ) because Batman has been done to perfection. Nobody can or will ever do it better.

Done now.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 11:10 AM   #16388
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 24,700
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I was disappointed about nolan's batman films only in that his Batman never deduced anything as a detective would, which I always found to be crucial to my love of Batman all these decades.
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 06:29 PM   #16389
Severian
expwy. to yr skull
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,315
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Well, I disagree, but you make a good point. I also thought Bane's death was anticlimactic. However, I think Nolan showed us an immensely flawed Batman. human Batman, with hubris and cockiness and a number of other fundamentally human traits. I think there were some unrealistic aspects as well, but not enough of then to make me think less of the film.

While watching it the second time, I realized how truly terrifying Bane was. The character was, for the most part, perfectly executed. His delivery was impeccable and he was deeply unnerving. I think a lot of people were disappointed in the film because Batman is absent for pretty much the entire film, but Bruce Wayne was there.. He wasn't very badass as Batman in this film and he didn't do a hell of a lot, but that's actually refreshing for a "superhero" movie.

I don't know... Maybe I'm biased. But when I say it was done to perfection I don't necessarily mean that every moment was perfect. I just mean the Batman story has been put to film in such an incredible way that I think DC needs to just let it be, and enjoy the fact that these movies have made Batman the most popular comic character in the world. They have made the ONLY comic book adaptation series that doesn't suck (seriously, show me another trilogy or series that has been pulled off so consistently and so well) and that the films are actually being viewed as great cinematic achievements. What more could they ask for? They have made history, and won oscars, and legitimately put the character to film in a way that has never been done before.

Why spoil it by trying to do it again? It would be like "rebooting" Lord of the Rings. Fuck it! Focus on building on their other characters! Leave the goddamn Batman alone and let this series define him.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 06:56 PM   #16390
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,963
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Someone who hasn't been mentioned yet is Monica Vitti, the only actor for me who seemed to get Antonioni instinctively. That's not so important for some directors but I think he's one who did require very specific things from very specific kinds of actors and Vanessa Redgrave and David Hemmings have both admitted to admiring Antonioni but not really understanding what he wanted from them, which I think is a big problem throughout Blow Up, with too many scenes coming over a bit too much like amateur dramatics. Although it's not just the absence of Vitti; he worked ok with Jack Nicholson, but that may be because Nicholson didn't even try to understand him.

And those shirts, I know, shocking.

they looked like they were sponsored by some kind of citrus-based beverage for children--


 


anyway monica vitti of course, well, that creature is an alien from a place far above ourselves. i like her more, i think, in l'eclisse. but fuck yeah.

ANYWAY, i was looking at the criterion website and reading an essay by gene youngblood (no longer young btw, i've met him in person) and i found this HILARIOUS shitty-ass trailer for l'avventura. watch it:

http://www.criterion.com/films/209-l-avventura

see how they present it as some sort of "erotic thiller", almost some kind of soft porn, like emmanuelle, or something by just jaeckin?

that's the kind of approach people have towards blow-up, like it's about the titillation oh-so-magnificent london of the 60s-- but no!

that essay by youngblood quotes a phrase by antonioni i had heard/read before; "eros is sick" (i think i heard in on the commentary of l'eclisse). the same theme runs through l'avventura, l'eclisse, and of course blow-up-- all the fucking and drug parties and running around are not really meant to be "cool", but pathetic, meaningless, boring.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2012, 07:30 PM   #16391
Genteel Death
invito al cielo
 
Genteel Death's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RESERVATION
Posts: 7,853
Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I've watched Taxi Driver to check that I wouldn't fall asleep halfway through the film once again but I did. Maybe it was because I've watched too many episodes of Louie (God, I so LOVE this tv show! Check out the episode with D. Lynch on it) until the early hours of Sunday, or it's just that this movie puts me to sleep no matter what. I'll give it another go.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2012, 05:01 AM   #16392
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,765
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I love Louie, too, although I can't say I've ever had a problem staying awake through Taxi Driver.

Anyway, rewatched

 


Avatar

I'm not one to be down on a Cameron movie just because (even though I generally can't stand his stuff) but this is almost reassuringly rubbish.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2012, 01:58 PM   #16393
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo
 
SuchFriendsAreDangerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: fucking Los Angeles
Posts: 11,722
SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Shutter Island.

I most more impressed with the good things, even more laughing at the more nonsensical aspects. Oh yeah, and I wish they would have ended it more openly rather then giving away that he was just crazy, if the Dr/Chuck hadn't come into the scene, we could have still suspected it was some kind of NAZI conspiracy, but alas, poor directing which killed the potential for a thrilling ending..
__________________

 




"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 05:17 AM   #16394
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,765
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Monica Vitti.... she's 80 years old but I'd still marry her

I've not seen what she looks like now but in her day she was almost unfathomably beautiful.

 


Anyway, just watched

 


Moneyball

I imagine o lot of potential viewers for this were put off by the fact it's about baseball. It's a real gem, though. Brad Pitt is great in it and well deserved his oscar nomination, although (predictably) Phillip Seymour Hoffman does steal the show a bit. Highly recommended.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 12:18 PM   #16395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,963
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I've watched Taxi Driver to check that I wouldn't fall asleep halfway through the film once again but I did. Maybe it was because I've watched too many episodes of Louie (God, I so LOVE this tv show! Check out the episode with D. Lynch on it) until the early hours of Sunday, or it's just that this movie puts me sleep no matter what. I'll give it another go.

louie is the best. i can't remember david lynch on it, probably because hulu stopped showing the new episodes and i have to wait until they are up on netflix. or maybe i actually saw it but just forgot. my memory is full of holes like that, especially concerning tv shows, because i watch so many. but louie, anyway, rules.

ANYWAY, i am no big fan of taxi driver either. i mean yes, beautifully shot and all, but i don't think i like stories by paul schraeder. i mean it's always this dismal darkness and desperation of a lonely maladapted guy in a big city having a psychotic breakdown (taxi driver) or having his brains beaten to a pulp (raging bull). i'm sorry if i mischaracterize the guy with such broad generalization but if i wanted to watch yet-another psychotic breakdown all i'd have to do is look inside my own head. just saying.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 12:23 PM   #16396
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,963
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I imagine o lot of potential viewers for this were put off by the fact it's about baseball. It's a real gem, though. Brad Pitt is great in it and well deserved his oscar nomination, although (predictably) Phillip Seymour Hoffman does steal the show a bit. Highly recommended.

i'm actually put off by the fact that brad pitt is in it, but i'm encouraged by the fact that aaron sorkin had a hand in that screenplay.

sorkin is one of those guys that turns anything he touches into gold, like a more grownup-minded joss whedon (one likes politics and technology and smart professionals, the other likes comics and superheroes). another used to be charlie kauffman, but i think he might have gone off the deep end because i haven't seen him make anything since synecdoche new york. get well, charlie!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 02:05 PM   #16397
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 24,700
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
watched POOTIE TANG again a couple of nights ago, in a green haze.

as a silly, stupid, fun waste of time, 10/10

as a movie? 4/10


I also saw a movie called Cellmates
it was corny,yet true to itself. 6/10
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.

I'm on TEAM KIM
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 03:38 PM   #16398
h8kurdt
invito al cielo
 
h8kurdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In Mulder's Basement room
Posts: 2,526
h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
I saw Eyes Wide Shut last night and honestly think it's my favorite thing Stanley Kubrick directed.

Nah that goes to 2001 or The Shining for me. Nicole Kidman in Eyes Wide Shut just ruins it for me. That scene where Cruise and Kidman smoke pot is just cringe worthy.
__________________


Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 04:22 PM   #16399
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,765
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i'm actually put off by the fact that brad pitt is in it, but i'm encouraged by the fact that aaron sorkin had a hand in that screenplay.

sorkin is one of those guys that turns anything he touches into gold, like a more grownup-minded joss whedon (one likes politics and technology and smart professionals, the other likes comics and superheroes). another used to be charlie kauffman, but i think he might have gone off the deep end because i haven't seen him make anything since synecdoche new york. get well, charlie!

I don't know anything about the screenwriter but the screenplay is very good. Brad Pitt is superb. I think he's been very good for a while now and has never been exactly bad. I honestly don't understand the negativity a lot of people feel towards him. Perhaps he's just too good looking for his own good. Either way, give it a go. I'd be seriously surprised if you don't end up liking it.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2012, 05:09 PM   #16400
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,963
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I don't know anything about the screenwriter but the screenplay is very good. Brad Pitt is superb. I think he's been very good for a while now and has never been exactly bad. I honestly don't understand the negativity a lot of people feel towards him. Perhaps he's just too good looking for his own good. Either way, give it a go. I'd be seriously surprised if you don't end up liking it.


sorkin is a playwright and screenwriter who i think first got famous with "a few good men". then he went on to write a little tv show called "sports night" that was actually pretty good, considering, and from then he wrote what's probably the best show in the history of network tv (network, not cable)-- "the west wing." he was there for 3+ seasons and then was caught with a rock of crack at some airport and the show kept running for 3 or 4 more seasons but it was shit compared to the beginning.

went into recovery, not sure for how long, wrote "charlie wilson's war" which was pretty good in spite of having tom hanks in it, and more recently wrote the screenplay for "the social network," which you've prolly heard about.

his trademarks-- an obsession with politics, an obsession with smart overachieving characters, snappy clever dialogue (much like whedon but on more grownup subjects such as legal doctrines or nuclear warfare strategy), a strange love of gilbert & sullivan, highly functional drunks (tv ratings experts, white house chiefs of staff, u.s.senators), health-challenged elders (u.s. president w/ multiple sclerosis, t.v. station general manager recovering from a stroke), a weird love of gilbert+ sullivan, and various other "tics" that make him recognizable once you've watched enough of his stuff.

why we hate the prettyboy: exactly for the reason you mention. i remember i first liked his work in "12 monkeys" actually. but it's always grating, like you need to get his ridiculous celebrity out of the way in order to get to his acting. also probably jealousy that he gets to bang angelina raw, ha ha haaaa.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
320
720770810817818819 820 821822823830870 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content 2006 Sonic Youth