Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 07.25.2012, 09:27 AM   #16321
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,898
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Well I booked tickets to see it on a regular screen. I just noticed, it's NEARLY THREE FUCKING HOURS LONG. Hollywood hates smokers, that's for sure.

it goes by fast though. don't you have the patch, or gum maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
^ LOL


Trust me...you won't have a problem. I was sucked in the whole time.

Also...I honestly felt like the first hour of the movie was rushed. It probably could've used another 30 minutes..


for me it dragged a bit around the middle, but i have ADHD.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2012, 09:17 PM   #16322
stu666
Super Moderator
 
stu666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Stowmarket
Posts: 12,654
stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Shining, screened forwards and backwards simultaneously, superimposed, with John Fell Ryan from Excepter
stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 10:44 AM   #16323
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,615
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Back from seeing Dark Knight Rises. I can't really criticise it on any objective level but I did sometimes get a bit irritated with how seriously it seemed to take itself. I have the same problem with the more recent Bond films (which I thought elements of DKR were quite similar to). I'm not against seriousness but when it comes to superhero movies, I think I prefer Joss Whedon's more lighthearted approach, or Tim Burton's more fairy-tale one.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 11:04 AM   #16324
EVOLghost
invito al cielo
 
EVOLghost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: cybatraz!
Posts: 10,451
EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Batman is seroius business yo.
__________________
"Quote as fuck."



 
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 12:05 PM   #16325
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,615
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
 
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 12:19 PM   #16326
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,898
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
yes demoño, but what about the new catwoman? eeeeeehhhhh???
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 01:14 PM   #16327
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,615
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but she's still no Eartha Kitt.

I don't want to sound like i'm criticising the movie. I thought it was brilliant. I even managed to get through it without a cigarette break. And while I preferred The Avengers, I'd have to admit DKR was probably the better film all round. Tea vs coffee kind of thing.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2012, 03:30 PM   #16328
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,898
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
And while I preferred The Avengers, I'd have to admit DKR was probably the better film all round.

no way. don't betray your instincts! you know avengers was better, batman was just more expensive.

this writer also picks avengers as the overall winner of the 3-way deathmatch w/ spidey

http://crushable.com/entertainment/what-was-the-best-superhero-movie-of-2012-the-avengers-the-dark-knight-rises-the-amazing-spider-man-857/

after this i gotta go see spiderman anyway
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2012, 12:35 AM   #16329
Ghostchase
100%
 
Ghostchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Decay
Posts: 779
Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
I love Takeshi Kitano, so I'm trying watch all his films he has directed/written.

 


Cross Zatoichi off that list. Maybe not the strongest Kitano film, but still a solid outing, it just didn't grab me like the rest of Kitano's films, he should stick to what he's good at, slice of life/yakuza set in current time, Kurosawa set the standard for samurai films, if one should want to do a samurai film it should really push the borders. All in all, love it and one cannot not help but bask in the glory of its 15 minute tap dance routine set in Edo era Japan, found at the end of film. Brilliant. lol
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2012, 09:13 AM   #16330
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 14,615
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
no way. don't betray your instincts! you know avengers was better, batman was just more expensive.

this writer also picks avengers as the overall winner of the 3-way deathmatch w/ spidey

http://crushable.com/entertainment/what-was-the-best-superhero-movie-of-2012-the-avengers-the-dark-knight-rises-the-amazing-spider-man-857/

after this i gotta go see spiderman anyway

I dunno, the more i think about DKR, the better I think it is. But I think Nolan and Whedon are such different directors that it only ends up coming down to personal preference. Avengers is brilliantly cool and fun , DKR is brilliantly clever and awesome.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2012, 09:37 AM   #16331
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 28,898
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
But I think Nolan and Whedon are such different directors that it only ends up coming down to personal preference.

ha haa haaa... yes! in the end i liked avengers more because i love whedon's snappy dialogue. but could i say it's "better"? dark night has a much deeper plot and character development, so.. yes, you're completely right.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2012, 07:13 PM   #16332
tripsk
bad moon rising
 
tripsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 110
tripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's asses
I saw this sci-fi film called Monsters. It was pretty good. I've yet to see The Dark Knight Rises : (
tripsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2012, 07:24 PM   #16333
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,749
Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
The Dark Knight Rises still had its moments where it didn't take itself too seriously to the extent of coming off as a rigorous experience. If you take the magnitude of the sense of danger it evoked into consideration, it simply wouldn't work that well if it were as playful as The Avengers. I thought The Avengers was very cliched myself, and felt more like a gimmick, rather than something I could actually become invested in. I'll admit it's a decent film and I had fun the first time, but it isn't the kind of thing that would hold up for me.

I was fascinated by that Bane character. The first time a villain has overpowered the protagonist to this extent in a superhero film. He exemplified a great sense of where to hit... knowing the right places to attack to strike fear and pain into his targets. He nearly killed Batman, but decided not to only because he wanted his punishment to be "more severe". The whole Knightfall relation with him snapping Batman's back was cool too. I have to agree however about some parts in the beginning feeling a bit dry. I really enjoyed the scene with the little boy singing the national anthem while it was clear to the audience that a bunch of chaos would ensue... and there is a "playful" comment from Bane right before he pushes the button to make the entire field cave in, "what a lovely lovely voice!". The soundtrack was excellent as well, and I was delighted to see the return of the batcave.
__________________
 
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 11:03 AM   #16334
Severian
the end of the ugly
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,153
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
The Dark Knight Rises still had its moments where it didn't take itself too seriously to the extent of coming off as a rigorous experience. If you take the magnitude of the sense of danger it evoked into consideration, it simply wouldn't work that well if it were as playful as The Avengers. I thought The Avengers was very cliched myself, and felt more like a gimmick, rather than something I could actually become invested in. I'll admit it's a decent film and I had fun the first time, but it isn't the kind of thing that would hold up for me.

I was fascinated by that Bane character. The first time a villain has overpowered the protagonist to this extent in a superhero film. He exemplified a great sense of where to hit... knowing the right places to attack to strike fear and pain into his targets. He nearly killed Batman, but decided not to only because he wanted his punishment to be "more severe". The whole Knightfall relation with him snapping Batman's back was cool too. I have to agree however about some parts in the beginning feeling a bit dry. I really enjoyed the scene with the little boy singing the national anthem while it was clear to the audience that a bunch of chaos would ensue... and there is a "playful" comment from Bane right before he pushes the button to make the entire field cave in, "what a lovely lovely voice!". The soundtrack was excellent as well, and I was delighted to see the return of the batcave.

Please keep the discourse going in my thread. You have a lot of good insights.

I was impressed and even a little unsettled by the Bane fight scene (pt. 1). You're right that it was a first. For once, our hero was not on control at all, and that made for a tense and even hard to watch viewing experience.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 12:38 PM   #16335
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,749
Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
See the other thread!


oh and I admire Ghostchase's posts about Kitano. I wish I'd seen more of his films myself, I've only seen Dolls, Kikujiro (my favorite), and Fireworks. I've been meaning to check out A Scene at the Sea, Sonatine, and just about anything else he's done. I wouldn't refer to him as my personal favorite from what I've seen, but it is admittedly brilliant, all three of those that I mentioned.
__________________
 
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 12:43 PM   #16336
sonic sphere
invito al cielo
 
sonic sphere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wexford, Ireland
Posts: 4,408
sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
 
__________________
"trolling asshat" - All Hail WATT

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 02:01 PM   #16337
Ghostchase
100%
 
Ghostchase's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Western Decay
Posts: 779
Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
oh and I admire Ghostchase's posts about Kitano. I wish I'd seen more of his films myself, I've only seen Dolls, Kikujiro (my favorite), and Fireworks. I've been meaning to check out A Scene at the Sea, Sonatine, and just about anything else he's done. I wouldn't refer to him as my personal favorite from what I've seen, but it is admittedly brilliant, all three of those that I mentioned.

Thanks! Kitano is such an amazing man. Sonatine is a perfect film, I like it just a little bit better than Hana-Bi (Fireworks). I haven't seen A Scene at the Sea but its on my watch list! I'd like recommend his most challenging, unique and strange endeavour in film, Takeshis. The story is wild trip into Kitano's mind of delusions and abstract dreams. Stars Kitano as himself and as Akihiro Miwa and blonde lookalike trying to make his way in the film industry. People in this world are are extremely downtrodden on this lookalike, and finally he's had his fill, violence, death, and lots of laughter ensues.


Recently been on a French film trip...

 

Amélie.
I know its nothing new or original to absolutely love this film. But I fucking love this film. Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Audery Tautou own my heart. Bought it on Blu-Ray for $5.99. *hugs*

 

Breathless
Somebody watched this film recently on here I think, well... Jean Seberg looks just jumped out at me, she was way ahead of her time, a look many talented actors and actresses in the 60's had, a certain charisma and fashion that just make the individual pop out from the picture and people around them. People like, Marcello Mastroianni in Fellini's 8½, and Monica Vitti in the Antonioni's films, these people were ahead of there time in the scope of being sexy and cool. Its a shame and disgusting to think that a wonderful woman like Jean Seberg was a target of FBI lies and illegal activities all stemming from her activities and support for the NAACP and various other civil rights groups, that probably lead to 'apparent' suicide. Fuck them.

 

La Haine
The end... with the closing scene I was like "Yep. This film is amazing". A great snapshot of slice of life in the everyday French ghetto circa the early 90's. Adventure through the streets of France of how to put a loaded .44 magnum to good use. Also awesome use of Beastie Boys tracks will always go a long ways in my books! Directed by Mathieu Kassovitz, who plays Amélie's long lost love! Just made that connection! I love finding links between great material... film, music, and art.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 03:25 PM   #16338
tripsk
bad moon rising
 
tripsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 110
tripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's asses
Mulholland Drive with a friend. We didn't know what the fuck was going on so we just stopped watching and played video games.
tripsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 03:41 PM   #16339
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,749
Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's one of Lynch's greatest efforts, just behind Eraserhead as my favorite work of his. It'll probably take a second viewing for you to develop an understanding of what it's all about. All Lynch really prefers is that his audience figures it all out themselves... not in a manipulative manner, but to experience it and conjure what it means to you. Not everything we consume has to make sense right away, or ever for that matter... Mulholland Drive is simply one of the greatest dreamlike films of all time. Naomi Watts gives my favorite performance from an actress, just brilliant.

And Ghostchase, thanks a lot for the recommendation. Your description sounds very intriguing without giving too much away. I'll look into it soon. Also if you're into French cinema, go after some of Robert Bresson's films, if you haven't already. Pickpocket is the one I always recommend
__________________
 
Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.29.2012, 04:03 PM   #16340
tripsk
bad moon rising
 
tripsk's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 110
tripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's assestripsk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Mulholland Drive is one of my favorite movies of all time. It's one of Lynch's greatest efforts, just behind Eraserhead as my favorite work of his. It'll probably take a second viewing for you to develop an understanding of what it's all about. All Lynch really prefers is that his audience figures it all out themselves... not in a manipulative manner, but to experience it and conjure what it means to you. Not everything we consume has to make sense right away, or ever for that matter... Mulholland Drive is simply one of the greatest dreamlike films of all time. Naomi Watts gives my favorite performance from an actress, just brilliant.

And Ghostchase, thanks a lot for the recommendation. Your description sounds very intriguing without giving too much away. I'll look into it soon. Also if you're into French cinema, go after some of Robert Bresson's films, if you haven't already. Pickpocket is the one I always recommend

Oh? Well I'll give it a second try then. Thanks.
tripsk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
317
717767807814815816 817 818819820827867917 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth