Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.04.2012, 02:36 AM   #16121
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses
cry baby is a fun movie, though I don't have the stomach to tolerate a lot of john waters' releases.

Murmer99 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2012, 02:47 AM   #16122
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
I thought "Heaven" was good. Its directed by Tom Tykwer who directed "Run Lola Run" and "The Princess and the Warrior". I think given his interest in movies about fate and a couple overcoming obstacles to be together, its right up Tykwer's alley.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2012, 08:01 AM   #16123
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2012, 11:19 AM   #16124
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Murmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's assesMurmer99 kicks all y'all's asses

7/10

Old 06.05.2012, 11:41 AM   #16125
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99

7/10

That's one of my fave Fulcis. Although I love the full-on excess of Zombie Flesheaters (as it's known in the UK) I increasingly prefer his more restrained (by his standards) gothic stuff like House by the Cemetery, City of the Living Dead and (his best film for me) The Beyond. I love it when Fulci gets all gloomy.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2012, 12:30 PM   #16126
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

I can't really say much about the movie that's bad. 7/10 just feels right, and is a fine rating. For some reason, House by the Cemetery had the most disquieting atmosphere and build up I can remember from watching a film by Fulci. It really is rare to see a movie so dependent on its overall mood that works as effectively as it did here. Another strange Fulci moment that I can't recall seeing before in my life was the bat scene. It was unsettling to watch that for the first time. What's that movie where the tarantulas walk all over the corpse and eat it? was it the beyond? and the zombie vs. shark part in Zombie that I mentioned a while back. I love how bizarre those scenes came off and I loved the music in HOTC as well.

I haven't seen City of the Living Dead.

Old 06.05.2012, 08:57 PM   #16127
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, 'disquieting' is a good way of describing it. And you're right, the spider scene is from The Beyond. I suppose Fulci's reputation is built on those kinds of outre set-pieces but in retrospect I think they often cheapened a lot of his movies - I love The Beyond but have to admit some of the set-pieces, like the one including the spiders, while a lot of fun, is ultimately a bit silly, really. The only film that they really work in for me is Zombie Flesheaters, which never takes itself too seriously from the beginning.
Old 06.07.2012, 07:19 PM   #16128
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Ok, I think this is my favorite movie of all time. This goes back to what I was saying a few pages ago about the importance of silence and how it's often underappreciated. The opening scene is my favorite scene ever shot. What it did for me is most likely different from Fellini's intentions, I'm not sure. I got the feeling of being surrounded by the impersonal side of people and the pressures of dealing with them. They poke away at you persistently as you try to escape those pressures... as he is evidently trying to escape from something... which culminates in the iconic scene where the guy on the shore pulls the rope as Mastroianni goes flying down towards the ocean. The entire experience of this film is like a dream, and I'm most captivated by this quality in others like La Dolce Vita (my second favorite of his). It's a movie that remains fresh every time you watch it. There is a lot to take in, and it's always a treat to go into it and notice or look at something in a new way.

10/10, a rare one. Perfect.

@demonrail

it does look a bit fake, but I was admittedly disturbed by it nonetheless. The Beyond was much better to me the second time I saw it, which was two days ago. The scenes with the blind girl were undoubtedly the creepiest. He really masters a disturbing atmosphere that has gotten my attention. I do love the scene where the blind girl runs out of the house into the woods, and it's repeated but quieter, and from different angles. For some reason, that part moved me the most even though it was brief.

Old 06.07.2012, 07:24 PM   #16129
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/criterion-pr...jpg?1328128325

Ok, I think this is my favorite movie of all time. This goes back to what I was saying a few pages ago about the importance of silence and how it's often underappreciated. The opening scene is my favorite scene ever shot. What it did for me is most likely different from Fellini's intentions, I'm not sure. I got the feeling of being surrounded by the impersonal side of people and the pressures of dealing with them. They poke away at you persistently as you try to escape those pressures... as he is evidently trying to escape from something... which culminates in the iconic scene where the guy on the shore pulls the rope as Mastroianni goes flying down towards the ocean. The entire experience of this film is like a dream, and I'm most captivated by this quality in others like La Dolce Vita (my second favorite of his). It's a movie that remains fresh every time you watch it. There is a lot to take in, and it's always a treat to go into it and notice or look at something in a new way.

unfortunately i must spread more butter, etc. but FUCK YES. on eveyr count.

my favorite moment is when he hides under the table like a little kid.

though maybe i like la dolce vita a little more. or no... asa nisi masa!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2012, 11:28 AM   #16130
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

i agree with everything you said, its my favorite movie as well. it is also really funny, something that isnt discussed as much. and for me, my favorite is the last scene (and all of the others) i am a big fan of dance and carnival. the last scene of this movie is basically my favorite "thing" ever, as in favorite film scene favorite music favorite imaginary. just perfect.

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2012, 12:57 AM   #16131
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

"
I've never understood why so many people hate this movie. The jokes are funny, Howard is convincing, the cast is wonderful (Lea Thompson, Jeffrey Jones, and Tim Robbins), the crude 80's CGI is great, and the stop-motion animation towards the end is even more impressive.

Every time I watch this movie, I enjoy it. No matter how old I am. This has the same amount of charm as the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie, except with a raunchier sense of humor.

9/10

My first time seeing it in full. I'm intrigued by Lucas' non-Star Wars related efforts and I've gotta say - I like what I see very much so.

Lucas paints a wonderfully fun portrayal of his beloved decade, and even manages to get great performances out of his cast, which is almost shocking to anyone who has seen any of the more recent Star Wars films (I can't stand Hayden Christensen in anything he's in). In fact, this really reminded me of a Linklater film - except way before Richard's time in the industry. Anyone else feel that? It just feels so free-flowing, without any real central star at all.

I was confused by the ending. Where a few main characters pictures showed up and there was a brief description of what happens to each after the events of the film. Is this based on Lucas' friends and him? I don't quite understand.

Anywho, I'm watching THX 1138 tonight. It looks trippier than hell. I wish Lucas would break through his Star Wars nutshell and make something fresh and original again. His heart obviously isn't anywhere near that franchise anymore.

Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2012, 01:00 AM   #16132
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by stu666

How is this?

I've always found Svankmajer's stuff to be really rad.

Old 06.09.2012, 01:17 AM   #16133
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:

Ok, I think this is my favorite movie of all time.

I've only seen 2 Fellini films. I really liked 8 1/2, and loathed La Dolce Vita. LDV left such a bad taste in my mouth.

Amarcord looks very visually stimulating and queer, I think I'd like that one a lot. Satyricon seems it would bore me.

ha

Quote:

7/10

That's a pretty fair assessment. I'd probably score it with an 8.

Old 06.09.2012, 02:22 PM   #16134
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

8 1/2 has made me cry once for how much I identify with it. Shame that you were disappointed with La Dolce Vita, it is easily one of my favorites I've ever seen. Definitely check out Amarcord though.

House by the Cemetery had some dry moments for me, but I can watch it many times and enjoy it for its atmosphere. I've enjoyed everything by Fulci to some degree.

Old 06.09.2012, 02:28 PM   #16135
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazifan
i agree with everything you said, its my favorite movie as well. it is also really funny, something that isnt discussed as much. and for me, my favorite is the last scene (and all of the others) i am a big fan of dance and carnival. the last scene of this movie is basically my favorite "thing" ever, as in favorite film scene favorite music favorite imaginary. just perfect.

yes, the lights at the carnival fade gradually until it becomes pitch black and it ends. Perfect opening, ending, everything! It is funny... and part of its beauty is the depth it has with elements such as humor, sadness, imagery, and everyone involved did an impeccable job with their roles. I obviously agree.

Old 06.09.2012, 02:48 PM   #16136
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

What exactly is so good about La Dolce Vita? I've never understood it. I hear it praised all the time.

EDIT: serious question

Old 06.09.2012, 03:02 PM   #16137
Murmer99
expwy. to yr skull

I guess it isn't possible to tell you why the film is "so good" and expect you to agree with it. It's a subjective enjoyment I got out of the experience. I was moved by Fellini's symbolism.... and the opening scene of the helicopter carrying the statue around with no music also did something for me. The fountain scene is another I'll always cherish... scenes I would call "iconic". But like I said, I've never believed (perhaps with at least a modicum of exceptions) in describing to people why a piece of work is good or bad, as it's obvious you either like it or you don't.

There's no actual plot... and it feels like it's about to get messy and come off as "aimless". But the message is simple, the characters and their materialistic ways make their lives seem glorious on the surface, but their true nature is that of anguish. It has the cynicism of many of his works but combines enough humor and I suppose hope as well. Mastroianni's character and the act where he encounters his father as they go to the cha cha club is another moment I enjoyed very much. There's always this feeling of being in a dream when I watch something by Fellini and sometimes it's even difficult to put my finger on why it is in particular scenes. There's an honesty I admire and I feel like most of his releases, if not all, emanated from a great deal of inspiration. He's one of my favorites and always will be. The film follows an entire week into the world of the protagonist and I guess I really like that world.

How many times have you seen it?

Old 06.09.2012, 03:05 PM   #16138
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses

7/10
The film is a bit awkward at times, I think it gets better in the second half when things get darker.
Old 06.09.2012, 04:01 PM   #16139
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Quote:
I guess it isn't possible to tell you why the film is "so good" and expect you to agree with it. It's a subjective enjoyment I got out of the experience. I was moved by Fellini's symbolism.... and the opening scene of the helicopter carrying the statue around with no music also did something for me. The fountain scene is another I'll always cherish... scenes I would call "iconic". But like I said, I've never believed (perhaps with at least a modicum of exceptions) in describing to people why a piece of work is good or bad, as it's obvious you either like it or you don't.

There's no actual plot... and it feels like it's about to get messy and come off as "aimless". But the message is simple, the characters and their materialistic ways make their lives seem glorious on the surface, but their true nature is that of anguish. It has the cynicism of many of his works but combines enough humor and I suppose hope as well. Mastroianni's character and the act where he encounters his father as they go to the cha cha club is another moment I enjoyed very much. There's always this feeling of being in a dream when I watch something by Fellini and sometimes it's even difficult to put my finger on why it is in particular scenes. There's an honesty I admire and I feel like most of his releases, if not all, emanated from a great deal of inspiration. He's one of my favorites and always will be. The film follows an entire week into the world of the protagonist and I guess I really like that world.

How many times have you seen it?

Only once, and honestly I didn't even bother finishing it. Which is a crime, I know. I definitely at least got 3/4 of the way through though.

I don't think the symbolism really spoke to me at all, and I never really picked up on the dreaminess of it, like with 8 1/2. But I can see where you're coming from. The fountain scene and that statue do stick out in my mind, but I cna't remember much anything else.

Funny how what you took as dreamlike and beautiful, I took as boring events in a fancy pair of high heels. Like literally, that is odd to me. ha I'd like to think I can agree with you more times than not. I do appreciate hearing what you liked about it though. Maybe I'll try and go into it with new eyes. I am a bit older than when I previously watched it.

Old 06.09.2012, 04:44 PM   #16140
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson

My first time seeing it in full. I'm intrigued by Lucas' non-Star Wars related efforts and I've gotta say - I like what I see very much so.

I was confused by the ending. Where a few main characters pictures showed up and there was a brief description of what happens to each after the events of the film. Is this based on Lucas' friends and him? I don't quite understand.

I don't think there's anything particularly personal behind the ending, besides Lucas likely having had schoolfriends who graduated and then went straight off to Vietnam. In that sense I took it as one of those 'end of innocence' stories, and was maybe the key film in ushering in a kind of teen nostalgia (people like Corman had always focused on contemporary youth cults). It seemed to solidify a kind of cult-of-innocence around that whole early RnR era, that obviously inspired later films like Grease, Peggy Sue Got Married, Porky's and the first Back to the Future or TV shows like Happy Days and The Wonder Years.

It also gets a lot of credit for its innovative approach to soundtracks, using nothing but pre-recorded pop music. That was apparently a big influence on Scorsese (although Scorsese argues it was Kenneth Anger's Scorpio Rising), as well as the way scenes were kind of synchronised to the music, without the film being a bona fide musical. (Again, Scorpio Rising did it first but more people obviously saw American Graffiti.)

I think AG is a massive film on so many levels: ushering in an entire 50s nostalgia industry that still remains; translating previously 'underground' ideas into viable mainstream ones; etc.
707757797804805806 807 808809810817857907 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth