Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.16.2011, 12:14 AM   #14121
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Anybody interested in his upcoming horror film, Red State, at all? I'm very excited to see how it turned out. The film is quite a 360 for him, and actually has a pretty impressive cast lined up.

i want to check it out just based on the fact that he's tackling a different genre. he's not an impressive director to me (i would say Dogma is his best directorial effort on a mainstream level) - but i think it's just curiosity that makes the film somewhat interesting.

i haven't read anything recently about kevin smith until about a few weeks ago when i saw clerks on blu-ray. i haven't seen cop out and i don't think i plan to
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 05:18 AM   #14122
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
I'd say Dogma was Smith's last great film, with Zack + Miri, and Clerks II being the best of the bunch succeeding it.

From a technical standpoint, Chasing Amy may have been his masterwork. He really found the perfect blend of his crude humor, and emotions with that one. The film hits your heart strings deeper than Mallrats, or Clerks ever dared to; which can also be partially attributed to his growth as a director at that point. I don't think Smith would have ever gotten the budget to make a flashy film like Dogma, had he not struck gold with the hilarious and heartfelt Chasing Amy first.

Clerks is the one I watch most though. Randal Graves is one of my favorite film characters of all time, and Jay + Silent Bob work great when presented in their most rudimentary nature. The film's so raw, it almost reminds me of a slacker comedy Eraserhead or something. Which makes sense since Kevin talks about being very into Lynch at the time. The original cut where Dante gets shot at the end leaves the film ending on a much different tone. I love the use of title cards too.

I hated Cop Out. I don't think anybody really liked it all-too much. There's a reason he went back to writing his own shit immediately after.

If you haven't seen it yet, and want to check out an insanely cool Kevin Smith related film, I highly recommend Bryan Johnson's Vulgar.

It's an extremely dark comedy starring Brian O'Halloran (Clerks) as Will, a down-on-his-luck party clown who... well, I don't want to ruin anything for you. Like From Dusk Till Dawn, or The Crying Game... the less you know, the better. Just hunt it down somehow, it's a masterpiece. Kevin makes a sweet beardless cameo too.

But yeah... I'm down with Kevin Smith 4 realziez.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 06:51 AM   #14123
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.16.2011, 11:51 AM   #14124
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 02.16.2011, 02:54 PM   #14125
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Old 02.16.2011, 04:51 PM   #14126
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Old 02.16.2011, 07:32 PM   #14127
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

I just watched this on Netflix IW and really quite enjoyed it. Apparently this is the third in a series of five movies (Alley Cat Rock) by the same director. Take the action and music of a Seijun Suzuki movie and replace the male gang with females you pretty much have this movie. Not sure why this is the only one Nextflix has available to watch or even rent. I'd like to see the others.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 01:52 AM   #14128
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I have watchd a lot of movies, since I was sick. I'll just list the ones at the top of my head..
waking life - 8/10
weather man - 9/10
green dragonfish - 5/10
hana and alice - 8/10
ritual - 9/10
picnic - 6/10
crank 1 and 2 - both 7/10
london - 8/10 ... honestly, I don't know if this is that great of a film, but there's something weird I really like about this one... But it's more of a personal thing; for most people, this film would be a 5 or so, I'm sure...
the mechanic original - 9/10
the mechaniac remake - 5/10
lord of war - 6/10
adaptation - 6/10
deadfall - 4/10
the box - 5/10 (referring to the Cameron Diaz one)
curious dr. hump - 6/10
blues harp - 7/10
FRANTIC (roman polanski's film) - 9/10 .. god this one is GREAT! Why doesn't anyone ever talk about this movie?

and I dunno, a bunch of other stuff.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 10:22 AM   #14129
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
london - 8/10 ... honestly, I don't know if this is that great of a film, but there's something weird I really like about this one... But it's more of a personal thing; for most people, this film would be a 5 or so, I'm sure...

Is that Patrick Keiller's film?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 10:28 AM   #14130
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Kung Fu HUstle. love it.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 12:15 PM   #14131
a-p a. niemi
the destroyed room

a-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's assesa-p a. niemi kicks all y'all's asses

Old 02.17.2011, 12:21 PM   #14132
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Dead & Buried is one of the better Shadow Of Innsmouth translations.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.17.2011, 01:20 PM   #14133
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Volver (9/10)

This is increasingly becoming my favourite Almodovar film, maybe because it's his purest - like a summation of pretty much everything he'd done up to that point. Eventually he just had to make his ode to all things female, and Volver is surely it. A beautiful film, both in terms of how it looks and what it seems to be saying.
Old 02.17.2011, 01:26 PM   #14134
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Dead & Buried is one of the better Shadow Of Innsmouth translations.

That's a film i definitely need to see again. I remember finding bits of it genuinely creepy when I first saw it. It has a strange atmosphere to it. My main memory is that it involved lots of fog.
Old 02.17.2011, 01:31 PM   #14135
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
and a syringe in an eyeball.
Old 02.17.2011, 01:32 PM   #14136
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Dead & Buried is awesome, though I think I prefer Dagon when it comes to the story. But whatever. Stuart Gordon, Brian Yuzna, Dan Obannon -- all these guys handle Lovecraft so well. Call it in the air.
Old 02.17.2011, 02:40 PM   #14137
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

How was Screamers? I was reading about that in one of my magazines. Looked cool enough.

Old 02.17.2011, 02:58 PM   #14138
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I've seen Screamers. I liked it. Um.
Old 02.17.2011, 05:44 PM   #14139
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Public Enemies (4/10)

I'm a big Michael Mann fan but this didn't work for me at all. The main problem being Johnny Depp who may be a decent actor but is never gonna convince anyone as John Dillinger. Christian Bale is about the best thing in the entire movie, besides the inevitable handful of great shoot out sequences.
Old 02.17.2011, 08:02 PM   #14140
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

607657697704705706 707 708709710717757807 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth