Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.31.2017, 10:43 PM   #21841
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I don’t know most of these movies you guys. Makin’ me feel dumb AF.

Fugitive, now that’s cinema!

Ha! No hating on the Fugitive here. It’s got Tommy Lee Jones!

https://youtu.be/p7FyZgvjW0Y

Speaking of “The Fugitive” - demonrail I know your a John Ford fan, have you seen this one? I’ve never met anyone who I could talk to about it.
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2017, 02:09 AM   #21842
tw2113
the end of the ugly

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
PCU, because fuck yeah.
Old 11.11.2017, 05:51 AM   #21843
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDom
Speaking of “The Fugitive” - demonrail I know your a John Ford fan, have you seen this one? I’ve never met anyone who I could talk to about it.

I've only seen it once, a pretty worn out VHS copy. I remember it feeling quite slow, quite 'European'. More like My Darling Clementine than, say, Stagecoach. I don't remember much besides that, though.

Recently watched ...

Beautiful Darling

Great, sad but ultimately inspiring documentary on Warhol's greatest superstar Candy Darling. An amazing human being.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2017, 10:15 AM   #21844
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
funny thing, while googling for a suitable picture i found this rated very low on the interwebs, but last night i went into it with high expectations (i think from this thread?) and actually liked it.

a bit preposterous, sure, but that’s a given with most horror movies, no? so, this one worked well for me. i might even rewatch it ha ha ha. srsly.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2017, 11:44 AM   #21845
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I enjoyed that too. Not a classic by any means but I liked its low key style.
Old 11.11.2017, 10:41 PM   #21846
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've only seen it once, a pretty worn out VHS copy. I remember it feeling quite slow, quite 'European'. More like My Darling Clementine than, say, Stagecoach. I don't remember much besides that, though

Youíre pretty spot on. He made it right after Clementine (which is his masterpiece if you ask me). He was great with Wayne, of cours, but to me Fonda always was the best Ford actor. The Fugitive is interesting to me because itís one of the few films he didnít try to hide being ďartsyĒ and I believe he had more control over it than other films. Itís not perfect by any means but thereís something about it that I find really special.

Besides that recently watched a few great ones.

Dog Day Afternoon. Amazing film. Not taking away anything from Pacino and Sarandon (because of course theyíre phenomenal and heartbreaking and funny) but Cazale always steals the show for me. Sal is a sad mystery who wasnít made for this world. Even his funny lines go down bittersweet for me.

Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid. Itís a shame thereís not a perfect cut of this film. Peckinpah had something special for a while. Never shied away from the violence of the world. Backing his characters into corners and watching how they cope with their morals and ideals. Excellent stuff.

They Live By Night. I couldnít help watching this as the prototype for something like Badlands which kind of hindered it on its own. I LOVE Nicholas Ray though and this is up there with his best. I love how he makes genre films but bends them so off kilter. This is a crime film but tender. A love story but dirty. Unique characters too. Like Sal in Dog Day Afternoon, people who just canít fit into the world.
Old 11.12.2017, 06:04 AM   #21847
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
You’re pretty spot on. He made it right after Clementine (which is his masterpiece if you ask me). He was great with Wayne, of cours, but to me Fonda always was the best Ford actor. The Fugitive is interesting to me because it’s one of the few films he didn’t try to hide being “artsy” and I believe he had more control over it than other films. It’s not perfect by any means but there’s something about it that I find really special.

Full agreement from me about Clementine being his masterpiece and Fonda his greatest actor. Fonda had that complexity: that mix of old-world chivalry with a more contemporary hardness.As for Clementine, just a thing of beauty from beginning to end

Quote:
Dog Day Afternoon. Amazing film. Not taking away anything from Pacino and Sarandon (because of course they’re phenomenal and heartbreaking and funny) but Cazale always steals the show for me. Sal is a sad mystery who wasn’t made for this world. Even his funny lines go down bittersweet for me.

More agreement. I think Cazale is now recognised as the great lost actor of that generation. All the big names knew about him and recognised his talent.

The obvious thing is to imagine some glittering career waiting for him but I suspect his sheer eccentricity would've always kept him at the cult level. But he could act alongside guys like DeNiro, Pacino and you'd still find yourself watching him rather than them. A true one-off.

I've read that Meryl Streep, his girlfriend till he died, took some pretty major career defining roles, just to pay his medical bills.
Old 11.12.2017, 09:43 PM   #21848
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Full agreement from me about Clementine being his masterpiece and Fonda his greatest actor. Fonda had that complexity: that mix of old-world chivalry with a more contemporary hardness.As for Clementine, just a thing of beauty from beginning to end

More agreement. I think Cazale is now recognised as the great lost actor of that generation. All the big names knew about him and recognised his talent.

The obvious thing is to imagine some glittering career waiting for him but I suspect his sheer eccentricity would've always kept him at the cult level. But he could act alongside guys like DeNiro, Pacino and you'd still find yourself watching him rather than them. A true one-off.

I've read that Meryl Streep, his girlfriend till he died, took some pretty major career defining roles, just to pay his medical bills.

Yeah I ageee - I couldnít see Cazale being a star with the iconic roles. He was always the great supporting actor but added so much weight. I still canít help but fantasize a situation where he had he lead. Like Stanton and Paris, Texas. Wouldíve been a site to see.

And about Streep - thereís also that story about Dustin Hoffman whispering Cazaleís name after he died to her to try and milk a good performance. Kramer vs Kramer I think. First off she didnít need it and second fuck him. He couldnít touch Cazale.
Old 11.13.2017, 08:17 AM   #21849
demonrail666
invito al cielo

It's hard to see where Cazale would've fitted in the action obsessed 80s but I imagine he would've becoming a darling of the 90s indie sector.

I didn't know that story about Hoffman. He's always struck me as a bit of a cunt though.
Old 11.13.2017, 09:46 AM   #21850
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
he could have been molly ringwald’s loser dad too xD

but no, look, danny devito became a star already in the 80s. i mean the whole new hollywood business was built on people who didn’t look that glamorous. joe pesci owning goodfellas.

but yeah i could imagine him in the 90s working with jim jarmusch or van zant or someone like that.

anyway i watched a movie that i’d rather not name in view of the dom’s recent events but it invoved a cat named “church” which probably everyone already knew but not me. first time i saw it! involuntarily campy perhaps, but i liked it, and the ramones soundtrack made me laugh.

started also watching the stoning of soraya m. which is a proper tragedy and you know it from the title— watched only the first hour. why this happened is this: it was obvious from the start what would happen. so then i watched the plot inexorably unfold. soraya is abused, exploited, frame, then she gets hit the mob the first time. i stopped right there. then i read that the actual stoning would take 20 minutes of film time, and with another hour to go, i decided to not continue. i’m already a misanthropist, i don’t need any more excuses to hate humanity. people suck.
Old 11.13.2017, 06:01 PM   #21851
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
he could have been molly ringwaldís loser dad too xD

but no, look, danny devito became a star already in the 80s. i mean the whole new hollywood business was built on people who didnít look that glamorous. joe pesci owning goodfellas.

He would've found work, as all of them did, but the kind of role he excelled in (weak but strangely sympathetic) pretty much disappeared during the 80s, or else got turned into one-note lovable rogue-style comedy characters (Pesci's and Devito's forte).
Old 11.13.2017, 06:20 PM   #21852
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

weak but sympathetic was molly ringwald’s dad— 80’s classics

i think he was more than sympathetic though— he could be outright weird and would have done well in comedies

let me think (i’m 2 rum & cokes into the evening...)

e.g. he would have done so much better in scorsese’s “after hours” FOR SURE

after hours is a great movie but the reason it’s not a classic is we can’t (i can’t) remember the face of the protagonist. i do remember rosanna arquette though.
Old 11.14.2017, 06:40 AM   #21853
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Yeah, After Hours is a good call. Like I said, though, he would've found work. For the most part, though, it would've been Hollywood making hamburgers out of Kobe beef.
Old 11.14.2017, 07:59 AM   #21854
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
All this talk of Cazale made me want to pick Dog Day Afternoon as my choice for film night. As it is I chose Battle Of Algiers which overlaps into what I'd been reading

I saw about 20 minutes of it at an ATP festival one year and we all could see that it was gonna be a good watch. Hwoever, you don't go to a festival to watch a film, so we turned it off and made a mental note to watch it at some point. It's only now years later have I FINALLY gotten round to watching it.

As expected it's a great film. Although, as with the Days Of Rage book I've realised that I can't imagine myself ever having that much passion for a cause or movement. And I envy people who do, even if the cause is ultimately futile.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
59399310431083109010911092 1093
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth