Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café II
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2013, 01:55 PM   #1081
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
There's "rap" in that song?

Yeah! The beat, there are "scratches" all around, the sampling, and Wyclef be coming with those rap choruses. Its subtle, but I don't think The Fugees intended that track to become some kind of "pop" song, it was just another rap tune from that album. Listened to in a vacuum, yeah its harder to spot, but bump it in sequence on that album in between The Family Business and The Score and it fits like a glove (beats wise)

I think the folks who bumped that single like crazy as pop music might have been surprised listening to "The Mask" or "The Beast"..

That album could have changed the world, but the singles were too popular and didn't promote the rest of the album well enough. Again, I think it definitely led to my favorite era in hip-hop, between 1997-2004 when a lot of underground, conscious, and genuinely artistic hip-hop dominated the narrative, until that Crunk shit blew it off the radio. However, I don't think enough people really contemplated just how revolutionary the lyrical content was to that record. Shit, I don't think that Lauren Hill and Wyclef even kept it real enough thereafter, they succumbed to their own pop hype, and became caricatures of themselves in the spot light. The best thing that ever happened to them individually was the decline in the popularity of their careers. It forced them to go back and internalize.. get back to their roots (sort of, Lauren is still sort of crazy, but Wyclef has redeemed himself more or less)

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2013, 03:02 PM   #1082
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
It's still around! Have there been any more mixes uploaded?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2013, 09:15 PM   #1083
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Yeah! The beat, there are "scratches" all around, the sampling, and Wyclef be coming with those rap choruses. Its subtle, but I don't think The Fugees intended that track to become some kind of "pop" song, it was just another rap tune from that album. Listened to in a vacuum, yeah its harder to spot, but bump it in sequence on that album in between The Family Business and The Score and it fits like a glove (beats wise)

I think the folks who bumped that single like crazy as pop music might have been surprised listening to "The Mask" or "The Beast"..

That album could have changed the world, but the singles were too popular and didn't promote the rest of the album well enough. Again, I think it definitely led to my favorite era in hip-hop, between 1997-2004 when a lot of underground, conscious, and genuinely artistic hip-hop dominated the narrative, until that Crunk shit blew it off the radio. However, I don't think enough people really contemplated just how revolutionary the lyrical content was to that record. Shit, I don't think that Lauren Hill and Wyclef even kept it real enough thereafter, they succumbed to their own pop hype, and became caricatures of themselves in the spot light. The best thing that ever happened to them individually was the decline in the popularity of their careers. It forced them to go back and internalize.. get back to their roots (sort of, Lauren is still sort of crazy, but Wyclef has redeemed himself more or less)

OMG I looooooove The Score. Props.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 01:12 PM   #1084
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZa2lY9CFyM

Danny Brown's album is gonna be so crazy!
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 01:26 PM   #1085
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...ip-hop/279791/

I miss massive sample-heavy Hip Hop.

RXTT.net

My Comics

Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 01:38 PM   #1086
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
It's still around! Have there been any more mixes uploaded?
uhm well no, happy to see you're still alive though.
Old 09.19.2013, 07:23 PM   #1087
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
"Furthest Thing" is the best hip-hop song i've heard in a long time.

song is pretty good. still though, it's drake. radio pop 2014 friendly. another make-up/break up song that pisses me off. but it is good.

what's up with these "bitch i'm sorry" hip hop songs? for godsakes!!!!!

it's like. nigga u have money, can't you find some better orgastic born again pussy? trying to relate to the losers who buy yr music.

not hating.

i think it's a conspiracy to brain wash women to hook up with a jerk. record labels bullshite to make up with thier ex-wives.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2013, 07:34 PM   #1088
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
the guy basically admits he's an asshole but contradicts himself.

what a pussy!!! men have been acting like this for years. this is aimed strickly at women with low self esteem. like drake likes 13 yr old skinny white girls. what a bitch!!!!

and what you doing with a good girl anyway. find you a cum sucking bucket to nut in.
Old 09.19.2013, 07:41 PM   #1089
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

look, don't try to play off Kayne's All The Lights.
Old 09.20.2013, 05:01 AM   #1090
louder
invito al cielo

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...8.story?page=4

Such focus has already paid off, said Steinberg. "He made his own record. He wouldn't listen to anybody. And there were songs — I'm just going to say this, and he's probably going to get mad at me — that could have been top hits on the charts that he recorded but he chose not to put them on the record. He wants to grow into his voice.

"He was like, 'I don't want to have a number one my first time around with this. Can I take my time with this?' I mean, we've had some crazy conversations."
Old 09.25.2013, 11:17 AM   #1091
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye recently said that he was as big as Michael Jackson. Umm... no

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
Old 09.25.2013, 11:23 AM   #1092
louder
invito al cielo

he also called himself the "number 1 rockstar in the world" and said that rappers are the new rockstars.
Old 09.25.2013, 11:31 AM   #1093
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
he also called himself the "number 1 rockstar in the world" and said that rappers are the new rockstars.

I could careless about that hubris, its probably why he wore that "punk" jacket he got on e-bay that was on rob's thread. I'm more concerned with idiotic claims of being anywhere near the same level as Michael Jackson, because simply put, nobody living today can touch him. The pantheon of musical heroes of world renown include in this exact order (1) Michael Jackson, (2) Bob Marley, (3) Tupac Shakur..

speaking of Tupac..

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i think it's a conspiracy to brain wash women to hook up with a jerk. record labels bullshite to make up with thier ex-wives.

Women don't need to be brainwashed into that, they often make that mistake well enough on their own. I feel you though, hip hop has taken an unapologetic turn towards misogynism, and with out the self-reflective explanations like Tupac's "Wonder Why They Call You Bitch", "Brenda's Got a Baby," "Me and My Girlfriend," "White Man's World", "Do For Love," "Just Like Daddy," or "Keep Ya Head Up"...

Tupac was a sincere artist with his own flaws with women, but he didn't hide or deny this, and he wasn't trying to promote some kind of machismo fantasy, he was just himself. Some of his music reflects his more hedonistic, objectifying side of his life with women, others reflect that real, deep, and honest respect for women, as mothers, sisters, friends, and equals. Tupac had a balance like no other rapper in regards to finding positive portrayals of women in his music. As to Yeezus, it is just plain embarassing if you ask me, that in the 21st century such blatant misogynism is allowed unfettered and uncriticized. At least Tupac was honest but trying to improve his relationships with women, and at least he knew where his flaws were, so that his music could perhaps have that same effect on other men, to both celebrate hedonism while also lamenting it at the same time, which is sort of male sexuality 101

Old 09.25.2013, 01:03 PM   #1094
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
the best way to hide your gayness if you are in the rap game is to constantly harp misogynistic sex shit.
(I hear Beyonce is a lesbian. I have friends who have seen her on the DL at the lesbian bars in Houston, mugging on the ladies, just like Gloria Estefan.)

RXTT.net

My Comics

Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.25.2013, 01:26 PM   #1095
louder
invito al cielo

Old 09.26.2013, 11:06 PM   #1096
Severian
the end of the ugly

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Kanye West IS the #1 rock (well... pop) star in the world.

And rap is the new rock.

And while he may not be as big as Michael Jackson, that is a matter of opinion. He's sold records at roughly the same pace as MJ, and Kanye didn't have one of the most influential bands of the 60's to help him launch into his solo career with the world already behind him.

Relatively speaking, people talk more about Kanye than Michael. Kanye's a more interesting musician in my opinion, and lyrically they're on a par. Actually Kanye kills Michael. I'm just trying to be respectful here.

Apt comparisons all around.

If the people were smarter, Kanye would be as big as the Beatles. Of all the artists to make it over the last decade, absolutely nobody can compare with Kanye's mindblowing musical, cultural, and media influence.

So glad people are getting over nickelback, the previous "biggest" "rock" ...thing... in the... Canada. ugh, fuckit.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2013, 01:16 AM   #1097
louder
invito al cielo

the Kanye hatred is ridiculous. can't wait to see what he does next. Pusha is gonna stream his new album today so at least we're gonna get some new Yeezus outtakes.
Old 09.27.2013, 07:40 AM   #1098
louder
invito al cielo

i'm with you Sev. the general audience likes to hate on Kanye so much, and what do we get as a result? top 10 charts which are full of generic bullshit. if people smartened up, mainstream music would be in a better place for sure.
Old 09.27.2013, 08:46 AM   #1099
louder
invito al cielo

there's the full interview:

part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2T0fMkZoMo
part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx3X4r-eCYQ
part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PED4zgjG3Ng
part 4 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfUmGxSgpY

good stuff.
Old 09.27.2013, 09:42 AM   #1100
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i'm with you Sev. the general audience likes to hate on Kanye so much, and what do we get as a result? top 10 charts which are full of generic bullshit. if people smartened up, mainstream music would be in a better place for sure.

but then us cool dudes would have to find something else to like.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
45525354 55 56575865 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth