Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page RIP: Dave Brubeck, 1920-2012
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.05.2012, 08:22 PM   #1
Robert Schunk
children of satan

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
The great Jazz musician's piece "Take Five" was my intro to Jazz, as well as to other sophisticated music such as Modern Classical music and No Wave, such as Sonic Youth.

Do not grieve his death, but, rather, enjoy his life's work, such as:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJE92phKzI

(OK, so this performance is a little bit too fast, and a little bit too breathlessly energetic, but it's still EXCELLENT, and Dave's own performance on the piano is PERFECT!!!)
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2012, 08:39 PM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Take Five....such a classic...

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2012, 08:59 PM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I remember buying the vinyl when I was about 16. Sigh. So sad. RIP.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2012, 09:23 PM   #4
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
ur, mr instigator already made a thread about this. what gives?
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.05.2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Robert Schunk
children of satan

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
ur, mr instigator already made a thread about this. what gives?

I wasn't aware of his thread. I scrolled down to look for a thread on this topic, but I guess I didn't scroll down far enough to catch his thread.

I'm sorry.
Old 12.06.2012, 12:25 AM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
wtf is "RIP"

i hope you mean "inhale weed smoke, dave"

although, in my experience, corpses fart a lot. so it could be that too.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.06.2012, 12:52 AM   #7
Robert Schunk
children of satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
wtf is "RIP"

i hope you mean "inhale weed smoke, dave"

although, in my experience, corpses fart a lot. so it could be that too.

That's very disrespectful.

I'm very disappointed in you.

I thought you were better than that.
Old 12.06.2012, 01:28 AM   #8
Dr Chocolate
children of satan

Dr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's assesDr Chocolate kicks all y'all's asses
Take Five, or as i been calling it for years. Time Out, was one of those brilliant $1 thrift store vinyl jazz albums some people would drool over finding. which no doubt. just hope it's decent enough. mine was. and i still play the shit out of that album year after year after year. i forget when i got it, but it's got to be at least a good 15 years now. been holding onto that forever.

it was also one of those jazz albums i picked up and read about. but at that time. the only fucked up jazz in odd time changes and shit is alot of that insane Zappa albums. but as a musician, i started reading about the album and thought. hmm. very interesting. not like i was a huge fan of jazz, as i've only had a few Miles Davis and John Coltrane by that time in my life. but it's like finding pure gold. because, i dont find it that often where i pick up some album based on what i read on the back cover. and be able to play it over and over and over and over the day you take it home and spin it.

there was a amazing vinyl rip of "that" album on youtube but i see it's not there anymore. which sucked. it was an original stereo red and black 6 eye pressing. i watched it quite a few times on the huge ass flatscreen tv thru yt quite a few times. it was a great video. incorporated the back labels, some video footage of live preformances. like the guy who made it, put the time into it.

but yeah. it sucks that another legend is gone
i'm more amazed about how old he was
this would be the oldest musician i know of in many years
that has died.
Dr Chocolate is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth