Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Chelsea Light Moving
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.14.2013, 09:52 AM   #281
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Is Chelsea Light Moving the same sort of deal as Thurston Moore's solo songwriter records?
His solo records always sounded to me like the soul of what made SY a great band was sucked out of them and replaced by the basic elements of his contributions to the band with his playing without the kick up the arse in terms of songwriting which he benefited by making music with Steve, Lee and Kim. Not terrible records but so insipid you forget when and where you've heard them almost immediately after you press stop. This one is like all his solo records but with musicians who sound just a little less anonymous than his solo efforts' contributors but not much.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2013, 01:30 PM   #282
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
His solo records always sounded to me like the soul of what made SY a great band was sucked out of them and replaced by the basic elements of his contributions to the band with his playing without the kick up the arse in terms of songwriting which he benefited by making music with Steve, Lee and Kim. Not terrible records but so insipid you forget when and where you've heard them almost immediately after you press stop.

I agree with this.

I can't say I've heard this new band and I have little interest in doing so, to be honest.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2013, 04:05 PM   #283
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
His solo records always sounded to me like the soul of what made SY a great band was sucked out of them and replaced by the basic elements of his contributions to the band with his playing without the kick up the arse in terms of songwriting which he benefited by making music with Steve, Lee and Kim. Not terrible records but so insipid you forget when and where you've heard them almost immediately after you press stop. This one is like all his solo records but with musicians who sound just a little less anonymous than his solo efforts' contributors but not much.

Kind of what I imagined. I don't know if you guys have seen the adverts in magazines for his new band but he sounds like he's lost the plot to his ego.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2013, 06:27 PM   #284
zelocia
little trouble girl

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I also agree. But I've seen Chelsea Light Moving four times and the material just doesn't really do it for me. I like the songs but... okay, for example, the Bowery Ballroom show. They played all of CLM songs but the show didn't even really begin for me until the encore when he played Staring Statues, Ono Soul, and Pretty Bad. Not his best solo material (I prefer Trees and Demolished) but in comparison to the CLM, the Psychic Hearts songs are just... to put it simply... better.
zelocia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2013, 09:56 PM   #285
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
maybe the Psychic Hearts songs have the benefit of time...These ones are fresh. There are three or four memorable tracks...
Old 04.14.2013, 10:28 PM   #286
zelocia
little trouble girl

zelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asseszelocia kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, the Psychic Hearts songs have the benefit of time in that they are nearly twenty years old. But moreso the benefit of time in the time in which they were recorded. 1995 was a much better year for music than 2012/2013.
Old 04.15.2013, 04:11 AM   #287
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Kind of what I imagined. I don't know if you guys have seen the adverts in magazines for his new band but he sounds like he's lost the plot to his ego.
An indication of how uncool the man has become is some bands sending packages containing their records to the Bull and Tongue column on Arthur Magazine but addressing them to Byron Coley only. John Sharkey once called him the new Bono on FB.

What a shame, he used to be one of my favourite members in the band at one point.
Old 04.15.2013, 07:59 AM   #288
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
from the little that i have listened to this band, i heard a specific, very distinguished thurston guitar riff (?), that personally i m fed off, quite some time now.

i guess he questions himself, like any other creator, but i also like to believe that he is still having fun, even though he isnt 'offering' smth very interesting to me or some of us.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2013, 08:06 AM   #289
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
His solo records always sounded to me like the soul of what made SY a great band was sucked out of them and replaced by the basic elements of his contributions to the band with his playing without the kick up the arse in terms of songwriting which he benefited by making music with Steve, Lee and Kim. .

this is a very nice way to put it.
i remember i was thinking, when psychic hearts came out and i liked the record at the time- that he did it for more selfish reasons. selfish, doesnt exactly mean smth bad here. that he liked so much his poppy ways and he had the need to play more of it, so he did it outside the band.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2013, 08:34 PM   #290
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I admit right now that i like clm more than psychic hearts because clm is newer and psychic hearts in some ways, perhaps lyrically doesn't relate to me as much as time goes by. But its cyclical with what i listen too, just like most things.

I do wish that keith wood had some more contrasting guitar parts, most of it is just guitar riff doubling to thurston's, though it works for that heavy laden stoner effect. I think i'm liking the newest songs more which lie more in the short concise no-wave esque tones.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2013, 10:06 PM   #291
Magic Wheel Memory
100%

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
this is a very nice way to put it.
i remember i was thinking, when psychic hearts came out and i liked the record at the time- that he did it for more selfish reasons. selfish, doesnt exactly mean smth bad here. that he liked so much his poppy ways and he had the need to play more of it, so he did it outside the band.

How do you get your profile to show that you have over 2 billion posts?
Old 04.16.2013, 02:32 PM   #292
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
There is a distinct moment during Frank O' Hara that you expect things to take off...It is so strikingly similar to the song Washing Machine. But it doesn't and I kinda wish that it did.

starts at about 1:35
Old 04.16.2013, 02:45 PM   #293
zelocia
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
There is a distinct moment during Frank O' Hara that you expect things to take off...It is so strikingly similar to the song Washing Machine. But it doesn't and I kinda wish that it did.

starts at about 1:35

I agree. I think that Frank O'Hara Hit is my least favorite CLM moving song. Which is ironic because I know all of the lyrics to it by heart. At the Other Music show Thutston sang "July 25" and then he forgot the next line (Bobby Dylan, as when he performs that song live he never follows the first line with "Sunday night" as he does in the recorded version) and he asked me what it was and I told him. One of the best moments of my life.
Old 04.16.2013, 03:07 PM   #294
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
How do you get your profile to show that you have over 2 billion posts?
by being on here 2 billion times.
Old 04.17.2013, 12:27 PM   #295
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Is Chelsea Light Moving the same sort of deal as Thurston Moore's solo songwriter records?
I think CLM is very much Thurston project, because he has made all the songs alone. I think like some other great artists itīs like continuing of the great tradition. Or then same kind of evolve-process as there has been with SY (for example Syr 1 & 2 to ATL). In Psychic Hearts there are same elements as in CLM-album, but those elements are really raw when comparing it CLM. But I like them both much, itīs hard to me say which is better album. Also Demolished is very different album as CLM, but you can easily regognise them both Thurston albums.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2013, 07:06 PM   #296
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
from what i hear its just meh. not really ground breakingly amazing and just middle of the road stuff that i am sure many easily satisfied folks will think is great. middle of the road.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2013, 03:45 PM   #297
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think CLM is very much Thurston project, because he has made all the songs alone. I think like some other great artists itīs like continuing of the great tradition. Or then same kind of evolve-process as there has been with SY (for example Syr 1 & 2 to ATL). In Psychic Hearts there are same elements as in CLM-album, but those elements are really raw when comparing it CLM. But I like them both much, itīs hard to me say which is better album. Also Demolished is very different album as CLM, but you can easily regognise them both Thurston albums.

true
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2013, 11:47 PM   #298
foreverasskiss
invito al cielo

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
sad this place is sad
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2013, 08:31 AM   #299
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Vive Le Cheat Rock!
Old 05.07.2013, 08:29 PM   #300
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Christgau's review:

Quote:
Chelsea Light Moving: Chelsea Light Moving (Matador)

For better or worse, and it's both, this is kind of what you'd figure sort of: a Sonic Youth record dominated by that band's most important member. It's also a record that makes us love Steve Shelley, because John Mooney's drums never propel Thurston past virtual pogo territory‑-and that says nothing of what a nice change it used to be to have someone besides Thurston sing. Imagine that "Sleeping Where I Fall" addresses his former bassist-wife if you want, but believe that the whole album is conceived as a bohemian history lesson. Present and accounted for are a flower child who prefers her music free, a song by Darby Crash, a song about Darby Crash, a song to William S. Burroughs, a song linking Dylan to Frank O'Hara, and "Groovy & Linda," who FYI were real hippie speed freaks surnamed Hutchinson and Fitzpatrick who were murdered in a boiler room two blocks from my apartment in 1967. B PLUS

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
121314 15 161718 > »
-->

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth