Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Chelsea Light Moving
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2013, 09:29 AM   #241
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Genteel is indeed a "he", however as for any women, when he says "yes" he means "no" and vice versa. I take it that he loves late SY, solo Thurston and CLM.
Old 03.27.2013, 10:38 PM   #242
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
I noticed Thurston's publishing is under Older Poets With Messy Lives and not Feminist, Religious.

Not sure what I would have thought of the album had I heard the sequence that begins with "Heavenmetal", but I think "Lip" is a killer opener for the LP.
Old 03.28.2013, 01:17 AM   #243
dasx
bad moon rising

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
I got this vinyl yesterday and after two rounds my thoughts are:

The cover art is beautiful. Lots of interesting pictures to discover while listening to the album.

Music is great! Band sounds bit heavier/thicker than Sonic Youth did and grooves (almost) equally. Style reminds me of Psychic Hearts and The Eternal. While this is titled as a band album, Thurston dominates every song with his vocals and guitar, so this could easily be his solo album, like "Thurston Moore: Chelsea Light Moving". My favorite tracks so far are Empires of Time, Alighted, Burroughs and Frank O'Hara Hit.

The bonus 7" is also ok. Suprisingly there came also CD with vinyl, but I haven't checked it yet.
dasx is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 11:58 AM   #244
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I noticed Thurston's publishing is under Older Poets With Messy Lives and not Feminist, Religious.

Not sure what I would have thought of the album had I heard the sequence that begins with "Heavenmetal", but I think "Lip" is a killer opener for the LP.

Is he writing these songs with Wood, Lubelski and Moloney? which may be why its not Feminist Religious which I think was strictly his writing.

I agree with Lip... the cd is sequenced somewhat oddly together.

scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 02:57 PM   #245
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
It credits all the songs to Thurston Moore, so I'm not sure. There's no publishing credit on Demolished Thoughts.
Old 03.28.2013, 05:27 PM   #246
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
I'm not picking on you, because you're obviously entitled to your opinion (and I'm not actually sure if you're referring to the sound quality or the actual songwriting), but I'm wondering if you're basing this on one listen to a low quality stream?

I found the LP sounded a little mid-rangey and "boomy" (as somebody mentioned earlier in the thread). I hate talking about this because I'm not qualified to articulate it, I just know what I mean...haha. I was surprised though, because I remembered the preview mp3s sounding pretty damn good. I'm curious to check out the flac download (nice option, btw!) and see how it compares to the LP. I didn't hear any clipping (also mentioned in this thread), or at least nothing as obvious as some of the moments on The Eternal, but maybe the digital copy will be a different experience.

The songs sounded to me really unworthy of further listening based purely on one listen and there's not going back here. As you mentioned, we are entitled to our own opinion. The fidelity of preview mp3s is too often used as an excuse to investigate further on records that aren't worth the effort at all. This is one of those cases for me. The songs are rubbish, whichever bitrate you listen to them at. Besides, the nature of this album certainly has none of the subtleties required for more patient listening sessions. It's Thurston Moore's band we are talking about, remember. The man himself hates mp3s, whether they come in high or low quality.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 05:49 PM   #247
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
So that there aren't any misunderstandings, I appreciate you are a dedicated fan and all the work you do for the band. I still don't think that this should influence any critical opinions on the output of Sonic Youth or any of their members from other fans. You could argue that I'm not even pointing out why I so dislike the record in detail, and you'd be right. Familiarity with the culture surrounding the band taught me that it's not going to take me or you anywhere if I detailed why they've lost it a long time ago other than exchanging tedious replies on a music forum.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2013, 07:41 PM   #248
Chris Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
So that there aren't any misunderstandings, I appreciate you are a dedicated fan and all the work you do for the band. I still don't think that this should influence any critical opinions on the output of Sonic Youth or any of their members from other fans. You could argue that I'm not even pointing out why I so dislike the record in detail, and you'd be right. Familiarity with the culture surrounding the band taught me that it's not going to take me or you anywhere if I detailed why they've lost it a long time ago other than exchanging tedious replies on a music forum.

I was just curious if you were criticizing the sound quality or the songs themselves based on the single listen. There's plenty of music in the world so I certainly don't fault you for moving on if it didn't interest you!
Old 03.29.2013, 09:17 AM   #249
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I gave the LP a spin last night to get ready for tonight....half of the album felt...empty. I'm getting that sonic groove Thurston always does...but man....kind of sounds like shit without the rest of the band sometimes. Alighted and Burroughs are wicked tracks for sure.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.29.2013, 12:40 PM   #250
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I think the word is elements. One person can only conjour up so many elements. We are used to listening to albums with many people involved so when you hear a project with only one principle person it sounds sparse.
Old 03.30.2013, 11:14 AM   #251
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
CLM last night...was better than I anticipated. I got the whole band BESIDES thurston to sign my CLM flyer...

His only words"Yea....I'll be right back" Bullshit motherfucker.

EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 01:22 AM   #252
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I like how stripped down it is.

I love the jammy arty direction SY took in their later years, but it's fun hearing Thurston doing simpler stuff. I really love Alighted. . . there's this great dark vibe to it that harkens back to 80s Sonic Youth, but it's also got that great chugging heavy metal thing going on, which is kind of new territory.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 01:46 AM   #253
fattyma4
empty page

fattyma4 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Magic Stick Detroit - CLM Awesome!

Got Thurston to sit and play my Jazzmaster, and then sign it.
It was a beautiful moment in my life.
fattyma4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.01.2013, 12:34 PM   #254
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Saw him lastnight @ Lee's Palace in Toronto (or as Thurston called is "Lee Ranaldo's Palace")... I'm pretty certain Thurston's revisited the CGDGBB guitar tuning for this CLM album now, because when he played 'staring statues' and 'pretty bad' for the encore he didn't retune the B and e strings and from the get go at the beginning of the show i could hear the unison on those strings quite easily...
I good show overall not as energetic as I thought they'd be (Thurston and John were the most into it, but Keith and Samara are solid players nonetheless), but a good solid set. Not as fully attended as I anticipated probably because it was Easter Sunday, and someone in the audience gave Thurston a Lindt chocolate bunny in gold foil.
The goofiest part was a new song they played where Thurston didn't have a music stand and pulled a lyric sheet of paper out and read the lyrics (w/o playing guitar) and then biting the paper between verses so he could use his hands to play the guitar.
Said hi to John Moloney as my band(s) have opened for Six Organs and Sunburned in the past, but didn't get to talk... man folks in Toronto love to crowd and hover over that merch for-like-ever likes it sacred, kinda annoying...
got 2 cdrs (Rat Power , a John Moloney punk/hardcore band and Irish-American Prayer, which is a Thurston and Moloney improv duo interspersed with beat-poetry reading segments by Dennis O'Driscoll and Thurston himself.

Old 04.01.2013, 12:56 PM   #255
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I was at the show as well...Good times, kinda low-key different holiday vibe.
I also saw that hand reading situation which was kinda bizarre. I had no idea what that song was, the rest were recognizable.

They also played a song/band called hush arbors or something...I wasn't familiar....maybe a side project of the bandmates. One joke T made was about some band the Poles who had a single called CN Tower that he had growing up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzPrX5TeaF4

He also talked about some bands that were around for the first wave of punk in the late 70s....like the diodes and mentioned a place called Crash 'n Burn which was a hangout for Toronto punks in the late 70s...

Toronto punk history is just getting its due in the last few years. It is not as interesting as NY or London but hey wtf?
Old 04.02.2013, 06:07 PM   #256
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
NEW SONG The Ecstasy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_O2J0EJGPQ

(Sounds fucking awesome, if you ask me)

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.02.2013, 07:26 PM   #257
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

Don't remember that one...

Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qqXhpHLFM
Old 04.03.2013, 09:09 AM   #258
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
Don't remember that one...

Toronto
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5qqXhpHLFM

Haha i posted this on the Chelsea Light Moving facebook page (which is Thurston?), my wife videod this on her iphone. we were sitting right behind the soundbooth.

The "Ecstasy" is that song where in Toronto Thurston put that lyric sheet between his teeth during the bridge sections and then sang the lyrics and didn't play guitar because he was holding and reading the sheet.

Old 04.03.2013, 10:59 AM   #259
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Saw them in Pittsburgh last night.

They played everything off the LP, No-Go, Ecstacy, and a few other new songs which I can't remember the name of.

It was weird seeing Thurston outside of Sonic Youth. The rest of the band seemed more like a backing band. It's kind of odd seeing a band where there's only one big foreground personality & the rest of the band is just background.

Alighted was awesome live BTW. So excited when they played that.

I hope they come back to Pittsburgh though, I didn't think the turnout was quite that impressive for THURSTON fucking MOORE. I felt like a little girl when he came out, I wanted to just scream THURSTON!!!!! and wet my panties.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.03.2013, 11:21 AM   #260
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
The goofiest part was a new song they played where Thurston didn't have a music stand and pulled a lyric sheet of paper out and read the lyrics (w/o playing guitar) and then biting the paper between verses so he could use his hands to play the guitar.

Thurston should NEVER sacrifice his guitar playing to read his "lyrics"

TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
101112 13 141516 > »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth