Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page 5 note 9th chord diminished?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.23.2014, 08:41 PM   #1
PLips
children of satan

PLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's asses
any music theorists on the forum?
i need a 5 note chord diminished for my music shapes. i found a link but diminished isnt on there.

the major and others are there. maybe i just cant read the jargon. i might have to do some research and pick another 5 note chord if it doesnt exist.

http://www.musicarrangers.com/star-theory/c05.htm

eventually i'd also like to make a butterfly design so any help in explaining music theory to an illiterate would be much appreciated

​thanks for any help
danny
PLips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.23.2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Severian
expwy. to yr skull

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Take a look here; if this is just for making shapes then this page might yield some results that might work for you in dropped D

I'm not a music theorist; I taught myself for 15 years and played in three bands before I took a single guitar class.

I personally feel like traditional music education is the enemy of creative guitar playing. But I can read music and I can come up with some pretty interesting variations on punk styles.

But enough about me... Is that first one a swastika?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2014, 05:26 AM   #3
PLips
children of satan

PLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's assesPLips kicks all y'all's asses
thanks i'll take a look. ive already been tripping out on swastikas appearing in these bitmaps. they are odd numbered base units so they may appear in perception without intent. i'll fix the lines though and try to see if there is a variation where it doesnt appear
Old 11.24.2014, 05:37 AM   #4
PLips
children of satan

this one shouldnt have a swastika in it

Old 11.24.2014, 06:35 AM   #5
PLips
children of satan

i found a link. diminished 9th is a George Gershwin joke. strange, yet he may have used it

Diminished 9th chord?
In the movie Rhapsody In Blue, a young George Gershwin is seen shopping his new tune, Swanee, around Tin Pan Alley. Several people look at the score and comment, "hmmm.....a diminished 9th!".

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tab-tips-...9th-chord.html
Old 11.24.2014, 08:38 AM   #6
themawt71
stalker

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
here ya go

A# C# E G Bb
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2014, 09:26 AM   #7
PLips
children of satan

Thanks. i got to figure out B&C E&F too. being a music theory novice its gonna make my brain hurt. i can do it though. you probably understood the jargon. i got a lot of studying ahead of me.

Severian i understand theory removing the creativity of playing guitar.
i used to play guitars and harmonicas a lot i was getting pretty good. i was thrashing like sonic youth, mashing chords on the fretboard because i wasnt good at chords, resonating my voice into the harmonicas to make me sound like a robot. trippy progressive stuff. then i had a nervous breakdown after 4 years of practicing in my mid 20s. i lost the will to practice. i at least jammed with my buddies on harmonicas accordion guitar ukelele and percussion and recorded about 30 hours of stuff on cassette tape. they were jazzy noise jams. i got all those cassettes and when i get the will to painstakingly put it all on digital hopefully i will get about an album's worth of listenable content.

the thing was i never knew what i was doing. it was mostly improv melodies and chord mashes. i felt my way through the sound. when i listen to that stuff again i want to figure out what i was doing spontaneously and reproduce it technically.

now i dont practice and when i do play guitar i always play about one rock jam one blues riff and harmonic noise. im a one trick pony. it would take me years to get my variety back and countless hours of jamming and my finger muscles arent strong enough to jam chords proficently. you gots to build your muscles for that dexterity and im too tired.

this is what the guy says on the first link i provided on 5 and 6 note chords
"Become an arranger first, then an orchestrator, and then a composer." - Joe Paparone

this is what i want to do. be an arranger first. my noise shapes arent songs but eventually i can write one with the logic im working on. put some synth instruments or whatever.

i have a feeling melodies are being taken up fast and we're gonna run out of new songs.

in 100 years new musicians might just be playing old songs like its folk songs and be better at playing the instruments rather than pioneers anymore. well i got my plot of land in these bitmaps and its all geometry and music theory. i hope i can pioneer animated music.

theres that symbolism that makes swastikas hearts and butterflies in these shapes. i dont want to be a minister of propaganda anymore. i used to be just an artist. sometimes you cant help but say something even if its crazy. thats life

All content 2006 Sonic Youth