Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Most Pretentiously Hyped Of The 1990s, Smashing Pumpkins vs Oasis
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 02:32 AM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
There isn't necessarily anything wrong with these bands' music on its own, but the hype which surrounded them at their peaks was nauseating to say the least, but whose hype was the worse media monstrosity? You can always vote for a write in candidate.

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM   #2
_tunic_
the end of the ugly

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
oasis! My impression is that the British press tends to hype their music much much more. But perhaps that's because I read Dutch magazines, or back then anyway.

what comes first,
the music or the words?

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
agreed, I think Oasis' hype was the worst, but Smashing Pumpkins were up there.. the music press was acting like Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness was the most artistic record of the decade. I mean, hey, I get it, the grunge era wasn't very creatively stimulating, but lets not kid ourselves and pretend that by default this made Smashing Pumpkins brilliant art-rock

"Men's perspectives become flat, comprehending only the light-reflecting, tangible surfaces of existence; the vista into depth closes over. " Joseph Campbell
SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Today, 05:09 AM   #4
Kuhb
little trouble girl

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Interesting topic! Oasis is hugely over hyped. Open chord shitty ballads and boring Stones-esque rock. British mainstream "alternative" fucking sucks.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #5
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
In the UK Oasis achieved a greater level of popularity than any other band in my life time, calling them hyped or over hyped seems weird because (regardless of what you think of their music - I'm not a fan) they were a cultural phenomenon around 95 - 97, and no other band that I can think of has had anything like the level of success here that they did. Smashing Pumpkins on the other hand were just another fairly popular band, and didn't particularly stand out from the crowd of alt/mainstream american rock for any reason, cf Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, Dandy Warhols, etc.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content 2006 Sonic Youth