Reload this Page Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore Announce Split
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.15.2011, 09:31 PM   #141
forgetmeknots
empty page

forgetmeknots has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Thank Mario they don't read the SYG Forums.

We should all consider ourselves lucky

Some of they used to, years ago (I was here under a different username), the moderator once released their usernames, and then I found out I had been exchanging messages about guitar strings with someone who was actually Lee. That was pretty cool!
forgetmeknots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 09:40 PM   #142
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris
Even I feel bad!
Next

Every cloud has a silver lining
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 10:38 PM   #143
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic
However, I did have a strange thought about Kim are her non adoption of the Moore name several weeks ago, and how I did still think that somewhat interesting.

I have three non-married long-term couples in my family (aunts and uncles, one might call them), so I personally wouldn't say that seems like a sign of anything in itself, except for a sign of men's 'acceptance' of women as equals in a relationship. Some could say it's a sign of lack of commitment, but that certainly wasn't shown for the vast majority of the past 27 years in this case.

Damn, I'm starting to feel kinda slimy up here in this thread.
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2011, 10:51 PM   #144
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I would love to have a long term relationship and not get married. Getting married messes everything up. Oh and yes, I see women as equals.
Old 10.15.2011, 11:02 PM   #145
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
If they are happy, I'm happy for them.

True. And one has to hope they are / will be.

Sigh. And I'm totally grateful for all the music and media they've given us over the years. If they don't continue as SY, so be it. We have boatloads of Sonic Youth, and that won't go away. They've done enough for the public. How about we give them some respect and just give up on the speculation. We'll probably hear more later somehow anyways. Anyhow, I hope that whatever path they take, they each take the one that's best for them as individuals.
Old 10.15.2011, 11:06 PM   #146
forkimified
bad moon rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
I would love to have a long term relationship and not get married. Getting married messes everything up. Oh and yes, I see women as equals.

Personally, I'm almost at the point where I don't know if I could trust someone who wanted to marry me
Old 10.15.2011, 11:15 PM   #147
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses

sonic WHOOPS (j/k)
ann ashtray is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 04:19 AM   #148
Sykid87
little trouble girl

Sykid87 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was fucking drunk at a party and someone told me the sad news and after that i became suicidal... such a sad day in music history for me.
Old 10.16.2011, 05:16 AM   #149
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypertonic

And nothing derogatory towards Kim, but I could also see T, Lee & Steve putting out some ferocious material (and they have in the past). Maybe that would allow Kim to do something along the lines and a Best Coast/Free Kitten type project again. I've already had to explain to non-SY types how much solo/side project material there is and that there still much to still be excited about in the soniclifer's world. Stay positive people!

Yeah, but would you care to explain why Kim Gordon would be the one who has to leave the band in these ridiculous speculations of yours? Is she a less talented member of it?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 06:14 AM   #150
Pelle
expwy. to yr skull

Pelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's assesPelle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgetmeknots
Some of they used to, years ago (I was here under a different username), the moderator once released their usernames, and then I found out I had been exchanging messages about guitar strings with someone who was actually Lee. That was pretty cool!

Wonder if they still do :O
Old 10.16.2011, 06:43 AM   #151
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Yeah, but would you care to explain why Kim Gordon would be the one who has to leave the band in these ridiculous speculations of yours? Is she a less talented member of it?

I speculated about that happening and then stopped to ask myself the same question. One would imagine that given Mark Ibold played bass live before he could do so again if needed, but on reflection i dont think it would work in the long term. You can find someone with just as much musical ability, but its about much more than that, especially live.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:08 AM   #152
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses
Friday quickly turned from a night of euphoria to a night of a disappointment, absolutely devastated by this news.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:29 AM   #153
forgetmeknots
empty page

forgetmeknots has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelle

Wonder if they still do :O

I'd like to know too! That was somewhere around 2002-2004. I met Lee Ranaldo (and Kim and Coco) at a SY gig in 2009, I was in NYC just to see them, and I mentioned the forum thing to Lee. He confirmed he used to come here, but I did not ask if he still did.
forgetmeknots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 08:58 AM   #154
Alan ciccone
bad moon rising

Alan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's assesAlan ciccone kicks all y'all's asses
i feel quite sickened today. Working (with a headcold) on some college work at home and have Sonic Youth playing all the time. Did the obligatory Facebook update with my frustrations about The possible Splitting up of the band and no one cares. Guess it brings home how niche they still are. I remember people moaning online about Amy Winehouse dying earlier this year or the worldwide eulogies for Steve Jobs. Sonic Youth ending is possibly the worst news regarding interests and things I love I can ever remember.
Alan ciccone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:23 AM   #155
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
shocked.
sad news.
very sad.

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:25 AM   #156
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death

Is Kim Less talented than Steve, Lee, and Thurston?

Of course she is. She's wonderful, and she makes the band, but as a musician she's not even in the same game, let alone league, let alone ballpark.
Sorry.

I love her, and worship her, and her voice can bring me to tears, but I've seen them live enough to know that she's not a particularly gifted musician. Her contributions are more aesthetic and thematic and lyrical.

She's not less talented, I guess- but she's not talented in the same way. Thurston, Steve and Lee are all expert, top-shelf musicians- some of the best in the business.

N offense Kim. You're an extraordinarily talented woman. I'm just talking about sheer musical accuracy right now. Your artistic talent knows no bounds.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 10:53 AM   #157
raycharlescansee
little trouble girl

raycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of lightraycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of lightraycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of lightraycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of lightraycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of lightraycharlescansee is a glorious beacon of light
Horrible news.
Old 10.16.2011, 11:40 AM   #158
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
what kind of pressure must the other two felt to have so many people invested in Kim and Thurston's marriage to support the band.

STEVE: they're yelling again....
LEE: *bites nails*
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 11:41 AM   #159
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
yes Bal. indeed. and yes Alan. the world is dull.
max is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2011, 11:42 AM   #160
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
floating, I think it's the other way around. it's not the marriage that supports the band. it's just it's clear that with both of them maybe not wanting to see each other, I hardly see them rehearsing. but then again, THE RAMONES taught us all something in that regard...
max is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth