Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page A beginners guide to modern classical?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.10.2011, 08:39 AM   #61
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Edit post > delete > make sure the button saying 'delete this post' is ticked' > click delete post.

You don't need to enter a reason.

Just for future reference, I don't think that post is in any way irrelevant, and even if it was I don't think it'd matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.10.2011, 08:59 AM   #62
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
Glice:

I moved it anyways.

And I'm grateful and a half for your your advice!!

Thanks!

Robert
Robert Schunk is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.14.2011, 02:13 PM   #63
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Robert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's assesRobert Schunk kicks all y'all's asses
A couple more points concerning the level of society represented in the movie entitled: "Metropolitan".

My first point is something that I can't believe I forgot: the fact that we were all in love with the Iron Age. Just before I went away to school, I bought the album by the Irish band "Horselips" entitled: "The Tain" (a 1970's adaptation of the "Táin Bó Cúailnge"), and, believe it or not, all of us spoke enough Irish to understand that "Táin Bó Cúailnge" meant "The Cattle Raid of Cooley". Even more extraordinarily, my first-year roommate was chosen absolutely randomly by the people who ran the dorm, and yet we both spoke Old English. (No kidding: I mentioned to my roommate that my favo(u)rite translation of "Beowulf" was that penned by the great Howell D. Chickering, and he responded by stating that Professor Chickering had been his Old English professor in college!)

My second point is that my working-class origin, combined with my absolute lack of any sort of regional accent, definitely aided my penetration of this level of society. The point is, we were all serious, we were all very class-conscious, and we all hated the middle class with a passion.

The bottom line is, I'm happy to have had this experience, which has actually made it far easier for me to accept my current state of poverty. (I.e., at least I'm not part of that horrid middle class!)
Old 07.14.2011, 05:49 PM   #64
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quite seriously, you should write a book about this stuff. Absolutely fascinating.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2011, 12:23 AM   #65
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Here's more (get ready to receive my full blast, folks!).

Igor Strawinsky's "Sacre du Printemps", the great Michael Tilson Thomas conducting:

(here's just the first dose; for the full treatment, just follow the links:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf0e_n49dcQ

And I somehow managed to forget about Maurice Ravel!

Here's his "Pavane pour une Infante Defunte"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cinHj6sqlc&feature=fvst

And here's part of his "Daphnis et Chloe":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrOJcEHXYWM
Old 09.14.2011, 12:51 AM   #66
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i really like ravel's string quartet
1st movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehQMe...eature=related
2nd movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhN0R...eature=related
3rd movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVURt...eature=related
4th movement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7loz...eature=related

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.14.2011, 03:26 AM   #67
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Amazing music!

In return, I was going to offer you Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 7 in F-Sharp Minor (Op. 108), which I promise you is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written, but the only version I could find on the net is this completely substandard performance (too high-strung, no heartfelt feeling whatsoever!), but at least it gets the tune across. I'd like to tell you to enjoy, but this version of this piece is one that I'm simply going to have to request that you endure, and just imagine what it's really supposed to sound like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkmEfqPbQFs
Old 09.14.2011, 03:40 AM   #68
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
He's a slippery bugger that Ravel, isn't he? I did have him written off as a bit tripe until recently, which was massively wrong of me.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 09.14.2011, 06:17 AM   #69
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

I've figured out a manner in which to hear Shostakovich's String Quartet No. 7 in F# Minor (Op. 108), without breaking the bank.

Just visit the iTunes store, and search: "Shostakovitch Quartet", and then scroll down to item #19 on the list, and you'll hear what it's SUPPOSED to sound like (great job by the Emerson String Quartet!!!).
Old 09.14.2011, 08:00 AM   #70
Glice
invito al cielo

Do you think there's always a 'proper' version of any given piece? I mean, there's always those ones that stand out - Gould's Bach, f'rinstance - or the versions that are cack (the Shosters above/ a lot of the Kronos quartet's stuff) but... well, I suppose the strongest pieces are the ones that stand up to a lot of variations - something like Beethoven's 3rd or Handel's Water Music.

Quote:
Old 09.14.2011, 09:04 AM   #71
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Do you think there's always a 'proper' version of any given piece? I mean, there's always those ones that stand out - Gould's Bach, f'rinstance - or the versions that are cack (the Shosters above/ a lot of the Kronos quartet's stuff) but... well, I suppose the strongest pieces are the ones that stand up to a lot of variations - something like Beethoven's 3rd or Handel's Water Music.

No, there isn't necessarily a "proper" version to any piece. It's just that, to me, the Youtube version sounds like crap next to the Emerson String Quartet version.
Old 09.14.2011, 09:14 AM   #72
Glice
invito al cielo

Fair shout.

Quote:
Old 09.15.2011, 04:06 AM   #73
Robert Schunk
the destroyed room

Glice:

Actually, I think there's another reason I prefer the Emerson String Quartet's interpretation of the piece.

I spent my first two years at university at the University of Hartford, home of the amazing Hartt School. I never crossed paths with the Quartet, as they were founded just as I was preparing to transfer to the University of Wisconsin at Madison, but I recall Rostropovich having recent conducted a lengthy series of master classes at the school, and his influence (and through him, Shostakovich's) pervaded the school at that time. I am, however, unaware of any direct contact between the future members of the Emerson String Quartet and Mr. Rostropovich.

As an aside, in conducting a little research for this post, I learned that Gene Young, founder and conductor of the Peabody Camerata, had been artist in residence at both the University of Wisconsin at Madison (as founder and conductor of the Contemporary Chamber Orchestra) and the Hartt School (as conductor and musical director of the Hartt Symphony Orchestra). Small world, huh?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth