Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page the constantly-bumped "great releases of 2011" thread
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2011, 08:19 AM   #101
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Iceage - New Brigade
UV Race - Homo GREAT RECORDS
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2011, 08:27 AM   #102
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Everyone should check out this free* album, Elephants at the Door by Dumbo Gets Mad. It's an Italian Psych-Rock project that sounds like old reel-to-reel recordings mixed with just a hint of modern synths.

*free using PayWithATweet, where you pay for downloading the album by posting a link to it on your facebook or twitter.

Check out the song "Plumy Tale" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8N18diRMVE
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2011, 08:36 AM   #103
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevOK
Everyone should check out this free* album, Elephants at the Door by Dumbo Gets Mad. It's an Italian Psych-Rock project that sounds like old reel-to-reel recordings mixed with just a hint of modern synths.

*free using PayWithATweet, where you pay for downloading the album by posting a link to it on your facebook or twitter.

Check out the song "Plumy Tale" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8N18diRMVE
The song you posted is excellent. Will check it out fo' sho'.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2011, 01:10 PM   #104
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
Oorutaichi- Cosmic Coco is worth a listen. Some kinda Japanese cut-up electronic pop...something or other. Heard it once while I was stoned, so impressions may be off.
Old 04.29.2011, 04:02 AM   #105
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
new krallice, the new alvarius, and the upside down cake cd

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.29.2011, 04:05 AM   #106
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
here's the upside down cake cd:
http://www.scumtunnel.com/?p=128

it's just really fractured but good electronic pop stuff.. with funeral organs, robot vocals... i can't describe it. its catchy off kilter home recorded electronic stuff devoid of cliches

most anticipated album is the new toddle, next month!

Old 04.29.2011, 04:16 AM   #107
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Finally sat through tomboy... I didn't find much to enjoy about it.

Old 05.01.2011, 12:43 PM   #108
Bal
the end of the ugly

Bal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's assesBal kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Finally sat through tomboy... I didn't find much to enjoy about it.
i didnt like it first but theres some super great songs on it
overall its a great album imo

Bal is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.01.2011, 12:48 PM   #109
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
I have the new Grouper(s), MV + EE (3lobed) and Servile Sect (Ecstatic Peace) on continual rotation at the moment

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2011, 02:29 PM   #110
pad_023
the destroyed room

pad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's assespad_023 kicks all y'all's asses

Gang Gang Dance's new LP is good, it might be my favourite release by them so far.

Glass Jar is such a great track.
pad_023 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2011, 04:10 PM   #111
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
IF YOU're into tech-death, the new obscura album "omnivium" is musically amazing.

I agree - totally better than the last one, this has an amazing Master Of Puppets kind of tone of the soloing (not just the first track) and the songs themselves are exceptional....... The entire album flows amazingly and I really think they've just sort of come together and made an incredible album. I dug Cosmogenesis A LOT but this to me is light years above. It's a really tricky venture putting musicians that good together but they really pulled it off....... the way it's shaping up this is probably my favorite record of the year so far.

New Necros Christos is amazing too, on par with Trine Impurity Rites after a couple spins. I wasn't as fucking blown away by the new Negative Plane as I expected to be, I find the rockabilly surf guitar parts to be really out of place and totally off putting. Maybe after a few spins or whatever but it's not killing it for me the way the last album did.

Ive got really high hopes of the new Miasmal after the promising demo and EP, and I expect the Ulcerate record to just kill me. The last one was incredible. Also on the horizon the new Saturnalia Temple, Craft (they recorded the album in like 2009 but it's yet to be released), Portrait from Sweden have recently recorded a new record and I'm really looking forward to that and I do believe mother fucking OPETH will have a new record out this year. !!! I'm really excited about that one, they're great.

I've also ordered the Heresiarch demo recently, seems a really promising mix of Beherit and Diocletian. I think their politics are pretty sketchy.... but I'm not really sure, they're just on a sketch label........

I'm pretty into that Megaphonic thrift record that was suggested here and the new True Widow is amazing.

Cylindrical Habitat Modules have a whole batch of new tapes on the way, I've ordered a few of those recently and they look amazing...... and Mark McGuire has a 2xCD anthology on Editions Mego coming out, I can't wait for that........
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2011, 04:20 PM   #112
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
The new Lukas Ligeti record is pretty grand on today's listen. Polyrhythms all up in this motherfucker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2011, 04:24 AM   #113
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Master Musicians Of Bukkake - Totem Three

i'm loving this!

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2011, 10:14 PM   #114
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Mark my words, you guys into death metal are going to blow your fucking heads off listening to Execration from Norway, the track from the new album from their myspace just chopped off one of my fingers!!

http://www.myspace.com/execrationnorway
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2011, 12:10 AM   #115
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
the berg sans nipple's new record rocks
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.26.2011, 04:23 PM   #116
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
After listening to this streaming of Atari Teenage Riot's new record, "Is This Hyperreal?", the first impression i have is a positive one. Any other fans of this band here?
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.27.2011, 12:59 PM   #117
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Albums I've enjoyed so far:

2562 - Fever
The 6th Borough Project - One Night In The Borough
Agoria - Fabric 57
Anne-James Chaton - Evénements 09
The Berg Sans Nipple - Build With Erosion
James Blake - James Blake
Boxcutter - The Dissolve
Chrissy Murderbot - Women's Studies
Echologist - Subterranean
Egyptrixx - Bible Eyes
FaltyDL - You Stand Uncertain
Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact
Ghostpoet - Peanut Butter Blues & Melancholy Jam
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Icicle - Under The Ice
Instra:Mental - Resolution653
Jackmaster - Fabriclive 57
Kode9 & The Spaceape - Black Sun
Mogwai - Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will
Pearson Sound / Ramadanman - Fabriclive 56
Rainbow Arabia - Boys And Diamonds

Great compilations:

Planet Mu - 14 Tracks From Planet Mu
Hotflush Recordings - Back & 4th
Exit Records - Mosaic Volume 1
Lefto & Simbad - Worldwide Family Volume 1

(and I guess Hessle Audio - 116 & Rising should be in that list whenever I get it)

Great sets/boxsets:

Autechre - EPS 1991 - 2002
Demdike Stare - Tryptych
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.28.2011, 12:55 AM   #118
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I've only actually heard one track from it, but on the basis of that I'm full of anticipation for the new Noveller (Glacial Glow).
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.29.2011, 06:54 AM   #119
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Mark my words, you guys into death metal are going to blow your fucking heads off listening to Execration from Norway, the track from the new album from their myspace just chopped off one of my fingers!!

http://www.myspace.com/execrationnorway

thank you!

Also, new atari teenage riot? fuck yeah!

Old 05.29.2011, 06:54 AM   #120
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Thank you so much for your list, fox. didn't know there was a new boxcutter. still need that faltydl.

that 2562 album is so amazing!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth