Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Low-"C'mon"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.20.2011, 02:06 PM   #81
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Music Special: The Bad Plus + Low

The Bad Plus -David King, Reid Anderson and Ethan Iverson – breakdown jazz convention to pioneer their own avant-garde sound, which can range from deconstructed pop to acoustic jazz. Duluth indie band Low – Mimi Parker and Alan Sparhawk – release their album C’Mon, to a sold out crowd at First Avenue.

http://www.mnoriginal.org/art/?p=9876

Currently ripping the video, I'll post a download link later.

In other news, Low will be playing The Current's 7th Birthday Party on January 27th at First Avenue:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...ay_party.shtml
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2012, 06:51 PM   #82
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Alan Sparhawk has a new side project called The Murder Of Crows, with Gaelynn Lea, and there are currently three shows scheduled for this month, all of them in Minnesota.

Info stolen from facemuff:

Gaelynn Lea

Updates! Snφbarn is taking a one-month hiatus for Ariane's travels to Africa, but I'm playing 3 shows with Alan Sparhawk in January. We've named the band "The Murder of Crows"... Here are the dates:

Saturday, January 7th @ Beaner's Central Inc, 8pm
Saturday, January 14th @ Amazing Grace Bakery and Cafe, 8pm
Friday, January 20th @ Tycoon's for the Homegrown Winter Fiasco, 11pm

Hope to see you at a show!

Old 01.13.2012, 02:05 PM   #83
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Latest newsletter:

Hi Folks,
Happy New Year. Low returns to the UK and Spain for a few big shows this Spring including three shows just announced in Barcelona, Madrid and Toledo. Tickets on sale for all now.
March 9 – ATP Festival (curated by Jeff Magnum) – Minehead, UK – buy tix HERE
March 26 – Teatro Central – Seville, ES – buy tix HERE
March 27 – Apolo – Barcelona, ES – buy tix HERE
March 28 – Teatro Kapital – Madrid, ES – buy tix HERE
March 29 – Sala Capitol – Santiago de Compostela, ES – buy tix HERE
March 30 – Kursaal – San Sebastian, ES – buy tix HERE
March 31 – Circulo de Bella Artes – Toledo, ES – buy tix HERE
April 2 – Glee Club – Birmingham, UK – buy tix HERE
April 3 – Royal Festival Hall – London, UK – buy tix HERE

In the meantime, check out Low's KEXP session, including YouTube videos of Hand So Small, Witches, Nightingale and Try To Sleep.
--LOW HQ

Old 01.13.2012, 07:32 PM   #84
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

"Bottomless", by Bernie Larsen & Alan Sparhawk (featuring DJ Burt Blakarach):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG0yq...ature=youtu.be

Seems like an EP will be available soon. In the meantime a digital release in .MP3 format is available to purchase on cdbaby:
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bernielarsenandalansparh2#

Old 01.21.2012, 02:52 AM   #85
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Retribution Gospel Choir's latest newsletter:

Hi Folks,
Happy New Year.
Retribution Gospel Choir returns for their first show of 2012 at Turf Club in St. Paul on Saturday February 18th. The show features special guests Cavalier Crooks as well as RGC’s Eric Pollard’s new project Actual Wolf.
Become a fan on Facebook to hear the latest updates and stay tuned for new music from RGC coming soon in 2012.

-RGC HQ
Old 01.25.2012, 11:33 PM   #86
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

More tour dates have been announced for the US, as supporting act for (ugh)Death Cab For Cutie:

http://www.subpop.com/channel/blog/l..._cab_for_cutie
Old 01.26.2012, 01:22 PM   #87
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

"The Score", by The Murder Of Crows, performed live at The Beaner's Central in Duluth, MN, on November 4th, 2011:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Hrw...ature=youtu.be

"Cry Like A Woman" from the same show:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rsxX...ature=youtu.be

Old 01.26.2012, 02:34 PM   #88
_tunic_
the end of the ugly

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
really like those Murder of Crows songs, thanks for the links :-)

about those tour dates: it could be worse, I saw them opening for Mercury Rev.... I don't know DCFC though, just listened to one song, and it wasn't that bad

what comes first,
the music or the words?

_tunic_ is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2012, 03:11 PM   #89
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Here's another Murder Of Crows song: "Your Battle":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAhaP...ature=youtu.be

Regarding the tour with Death Cab For Cutie: I don't really see Low as a band with similarities of any kind to Death Cab For Cutie, therefore I'm inclined to strongly wish that being exposed to a different kind of audience wouldn't work against Low. Plus, I've never liked the idea of them opening for other lesser (to me) acts like Iron & Wine and even Mercury Rev, pretty much in the same sense that I disliked the fact that Sonic Youth was opening for Pearl Jam at some point in recent years. For the most part, it just works to the advantage of the headliners. Low seem to be related with a thriving independent scene, which they get to support when they are working outside of the margins apparently imposed by their current label. In my mind, a tour as headliners with an opening act such as Jessica Bailiff, Gaelynn Lea, Rivulets, Charlie Parr, or Actual Wolf (Eric Pollard's project, which has a record in the works), for instance, would sound like a much better deal than this tour with Death Cab For Cutie. Still, I think I would consider it somehow better news if there was a possibility of a date in my country, but alas that's not the case. At least I hope and I'm kind of sure that it won't be a situation in any way closer or even remotely similar to that one time they toured as the opening act for Radiohead.

EDIT:
By the way, _tunic_, are you planning to attend Body/Head's performance in Amsterdam on February 27th? I know it doesn't have a thing to do with this thread, so please forgive me but I'd like to know if there are any chances that you'd tape.
Old 01.26.2012, 03:58 PM   #90
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

The full set of The Murder Of Crows at The Beaner's Central in Duluth, MN, on November 4th, 2011, has just been uploaded to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xeyp...1&feature=plcp
Old 01.26.2012, 06:03 PM   #91
ilduclo
the end of the ugly

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I see Emanuel has a Low set up on LMA, thanks!

http://www.archive.org/details/low2011-11-26
ilduclo is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2012, 07:55 PM   #92
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo

New to me. Many thanks!
Old 01.26.2012, 09:22 PM   #93
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
New to me. Many thanks!

ME too - thanks so much!

You see Hip......just another wonderful thing from keeping this thread going : )

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2012, 10:15 PM   #94
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
ME too - thanks so much!

You see Hip......just another wonderful thing from keeping this thread going : )

Sure. Happy to see some activity going on in this thread. By the way, Bytor Peltor, you might be interested in this, which I think I didn't post a link to before: It is a great professionally filmed PAL DVD of Low at Primavera Sound Festival on March 27, 2011; of course the Megaupload links are useless now but it still can be downloaded from Rapidshare:
http://kigonjiro.com/2012/01/12/low-...ra-sound-2011/

Low will be performing tomorrow at First Avenue in Minneapolis, as part of the line-up celebrating 89.3 FM-The Current's 7th Anniversary. It's not clear yet if they will stream or archive a recording of the show, but I do hope they will.
Old 01.27.2012, 01:28 PM   #95
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

There is another new recording of a Low show over at archive.org, also recorded by Emmanuel:

Low at La Gaξtι Lyrique, Paris, France, on December 2, 2011:
http://www.archive.org/details/low2011-12-02
Old 01.29.2012, 09:49 PM   #96
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

The Playlist, weekly TV show from Minnesota, on public channel WDSE WRPT, will be broadcasting a Low special next Thursday, February 2nd at 9:00 and 11:00 PM.

Trailer on youtube:
http://youtu.be/auG8iyhLORk

The first installment of a music project featuring the Duluth-based, indie-rock band Low. Recorded during a live performance for Life House in October, this episode highlights songwriters and performers Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker.
Old 01.30.2012, 01:32 AM   #97
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Hey hipster bebop, respond to my pm why dontcha?

I like C'mon and The Great Destroyer and Drums and Guns, but am otherwise ignorant of the band. Those are great albums though.

Why didn't C'mon get more press in '11?
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2012, 02:44 AM   #98
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
^^ you need to hear their 90s albums. Brilliant, although I like pretty much all of their albums.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.31.2012, 01:22 AM   #99
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Pictures of Low at The Current's 7th birthday party:
http://blog.thecurrent.org/slideshow...birthday-party

Streaming audio of a very short interview by John Munson with Alan Sparhawk for the Current's "John Interviews" program in regards to songs that move him:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...views_12.shtml

Hopefully The Current will have some material of Low's show at their anniversary party, although there is nothing there at the moment that would suggest that.

E. Noisefield, I hadn't realized I had a private message from you. Will reply to it soon, I lack the time for that now but I concur with GravitySlips' post above in the sense that there are plenty of treasures for you to discover in their past albums. However, I'd recommend you to not focus solely on the material released in the 90s. "Things We Lost In The Fire" was released in 2001, and is considered by many as their best work. If you enjoyed the last few records, I don't see how it'd be possible that you'd dislike what came before.
Old 01.31.2012, 06:15 PM   #100
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
Pictures of Low at The Current's 7th birthday party:
http://blog.thecurrent.org/slideshow...birthday-party

Streaming audio of a very short interview by John Munson with Alan Sparhawk for the Current's "John Interviews" program in regards to songs that move him:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/col...views_12.shtml

Hopefully The Current will have some material of Low's show at their anniversary party, although there is nothing there at the moment that would suggest that.

E. Noisefield, I hadn't realized I had a private message from you. Will reply to it soon, I lack the time for that now but I concur with GravitySlips' post above in the sense that there are plenty of treasures for you to discover in their past albums. However, I'd recommend you to not focus solely on the material released in the 90s. "Things We Lost In The Fire" was released in 2001, and is considered by many as their best work. If you enjoyed the last few records, I don't see how it'd be possible that you'd dislike what came before.

Thanks! I appreciate it!
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth