Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Low-"C'mon"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.19.2011, 07:32 PM   #61
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Bytor Peltor, i enjoyed the video too. Dislike the fact that it's missing some sections of the song which are actually on the record, i've never been too much of a fan of editing music out due to promotional purposes. The song and the video are still pretty great, despite the fact that a fine segment of the song was omitted. By the way, here's an alternate (unofficial) video of the same song, which was directed by Hans Johnson:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzd0u...eature=related

_slavo_, take into consideration that my opinion might be a bit too biased as i love Low and all related projects way too much, but I think all stuff released after "Things We Lost In The Fire" is well worthy of being called great, although of course every record is quite a different beast when compared to the other, and the differences are certainly more pronounced in the latest efforts, especially on "Drums And Guns" most of all. I ended up buying three copies of "C'mon", an LP pre-order which was supposed to include a signed poster that i sadly never received (I suspect the mailman stole it), and a CD and another LP; and both included the "C'mon Acoustic" EP as a bonus. This new album has been one of my favorite records of the year.

As for the "Lifetime Of Temporary Relief" box-set, thanks very much for the kind offer but i already have a copy of it. I'd be willing to happily pay postage and shipping fees otherwise, despite the flaws in the package. I'm not PM-ing, so i suppose someone else could take this chance instead if they think it might be right for both parts. I appreciate this gesture of generosity very much, though.
hipster_bebop_junkie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2011, 01:10 PM   #62
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Somebody ripped the Route du Rock show and posted it to dime. I snatched it and thought i'd pass it along.

LOW
Festival La Route Du Rock
Saint Malo, France
August 13, 2011
  • intro
  • Nothing But Heart
  • Nightingale
  • You See Everything
  • Monkey
  • Silver Rider
  • Especially Me
  • Sunflower
  • Try To Sleep
  • Canada
  • Violent Past
  • Last Snowstorm Of The Year
  • Murderer
409.19 MB .flv video file

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1WJ27V5L
Old 09.13.2011, 08:39 PM   #63
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
West Coast Low

Low is in the van on 94 driving West. What for you say? The C'mon West Coast Tour starts on Thursday in Vancouver:

Thursday September 15th - The Rio Theatre - Vancouver, BC - Tickets
Friday September 16th - Neumos - Seattle, WA - Tickets
Saturday September 17th - Aladdin Theater - Portland, OR - Tickets
Monday September 19th - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA - Tickets
Tuseday September 20th - El Rey Theatre - Los Angeles, CA - Tickets
Friday September 23rd - Velour Live Music Gallery - Provo, UT - Tickets
Saturday September 24th - Bluebird Theater, Denver, CO - Tickets
Sunday September 25th - Armstrong Hall - Colorado Springs, CO - Tickets
Friday September 30th - The Aquarium - Fargo, ND - Tickets (An Evening With, Low plays 2 sets)

Also coming up in October, shows in Duluth and NYC:

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.13.2011, 10:29 PM   #64
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Here's the rest of the dates:

Wednesday October 12th - Terminal 5 - New York, NY, supporting Iron & Wine - Tickets
Friday October 14th - Marshall High School - Duluth, MN, Benefit for Life House Then Low will be back in Europe in November and December, including a set at the Jeff Magnum curated ATP Festival in Minehead on December 3rd:
Nov 24 - Autumn Falls Festival @ Cirque Royal - Brussels, Belgium - Tickets
Nov 25 - Le Guess Who Festival @ Tivoli - Utrecht, Holland - Tickets
Nov 26 - Sinkkasten - Frankfurt, Germany - Tickets
Monday November 28 - Magazzini Generali - Milan, Italy - Tickets
Tuesday November 29 - Palace - St. Gallen, Switzerland - Tickets
Wednesday November 30 - Fri-Son - Fribourg, Switzerland - Tickets
Thursday December 1 - L’Epicerie Moderne - Lyon, France - Tickets
Friday December 2 - La Gaité Lyrique - Paris, France - Tickets
Saturday December 3 - ATP Festival - Minehead, UK - Tickets
If you missed it last month, Low has a new video for "Especially Me", directed by Phil Harder, check it out here:

-Low HQ
© Low

In addition to playing at Neumos in Seattle this Friday, Low will be doing a radio session at KEXP Studios at 3:00 PM PT:
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=213520125356530

Old 09.16.2011, 04:59 PM   #65
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Bump.

Low's performance at KEXP Studios in Seattle will start streaming in a few minutes:

http://kexp.org/audio/kexp-uncomp.asx

A pic from the soundcheck:

Old 09.16.2011, 07:44 PM   #66
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

obh2o's capture of the KEXP session is now available at dimeadozen:

Low - Live In-Studio On KEXP - 2011-09-16 - Seattle, WA - with samples

This is a really nice treat, in the sense that they played a really great version of "Hand So Small", which is included in their "Bombscare EP" split with Spring Heel Jack but I don't think there is any other live recording that includes a performance of this song. The rest is pretty nifty as well, including the interview.
Old 10.09.2011, 02:12 PM   #68
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Nice, thanks. There's also a Low session from 2007 at daytrotter. The most awesome things start to appear the moment i become torrent impaired, and there is a recording of Low's recent session at KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic, captured by Nibbler, currently available at dimeadozen, and also a DVD of their show at Primavera Festival in Spain a few months back. Two more new recordings have been uploaded to live music archive, too.

"A Song Of Praise" with participation by Alan Sparhawk will be premiered online in November. Here is a link to the teaser:
http://www.vimeo.com/29149507

Jeroen van der Poel, the filmmaker, also has plans to do "something special" with Low when they visit The Netherlands in November. Konkurrent would be involved, but it all is only tentative at the moment since he doesn't have an official reply from the band yet. I wish i'd knew how to actually contact someone (or help him to) who might have the means to get things moving...
Old 10.17.2011, 08:47 PM   #69
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Thom Yorke recently played a selection of some of his favorite tracks on BBC 6 Music, and he included Low's "Monkey":

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0162gs5
Old 10.21.2011, 10:20 AM   #70
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

KEXP has uploaded videos of Low's recent session to Youtube:

http://blog.kexp.org/blog/2011/10/19/live-video-low/

The whole session in a single vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrxVoey1HUc
Old 10.25.2011, 09:21 PM   #71
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Alan Sparhawk & Gaelynn Lea will be performing a live score for bizarre silent film, "The Penalty", on October 28th and 29th. Details here:
http://www.zinema2.com/index.php/Zin...alan_sparhawk/

The whole film is available to download or watch on archive.org:
http://www.archive.org/details/ThePenalty
Old 10.25.2011, 10:08 PM   #72
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Bump.

Can somebody please record this off the empty-v?

Catch Low on 120 Minutes with Matt Pinfield tonight on MTV2, the program airs at 3am EST/12am PST.
Old 11.11.2011, 03:02 PM   #73
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Jeroen van der Poel's short film, "A Song Of Praise", with a soundtrack by Alan Sparhawk & Mimi Parker of Low has been premiered and it's available to stream here:
http://www.stockholmfilmfestival.se/...ong_of_praise/
Old 11.13.2011, 06:44 PM   #74
_tunic_
the end of the ugly

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
never seen this thread until just now. Thanks for keeping it so active hipster! It's almost more informative than the chairkickers mailing list ;-)
Have to read it more carefully, I may haver something to add to it, but you do have posted some links I've never seen before.
Will be seeing them in a few weeks again, in Utrecht and Brussels.
You might have already guessed, I love Low. But I must admit that at the moment I like Retribution Gospel Choir better, always amazes me that RGC draws such small crowds. On their first Europe tour I saw them play for not more than 25 people in Düsseldorf.
But live Low is still awesome. in fact, they are the reason I started taping, didn't really like the production of D&G, and preferred the live versions of those songs much more. Just regret that I never saw them when Zak Sally was still playing the bass.
I do like the new album a lot, but I do tend to skip the first track whenever I listen to it.

edit:
that Song Of Praise movie has it's own site: http://asongofpraise.nl/?l=en
The trailer posted there features words by Alan. So I guess it's longer than the movie posted on the Stockholm festival site.

what comes first,
the music or the words?

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.24.2011, 10:01 PM   #75
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

_tunic_, I'm glad there's actually something of interest for you in this thread. At some point, I thought I should stop posting since there didn't seem to be much interest in this record around here, but fortunately, I didn't. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go join the chairkickers list as well, which is the best place for Low-related content, apparently (I'm on a Low group on facemuff, but it's mostly dead these days).

It's awesome that you're seeing them again, and I'll be looking forward to your recordings. I'm taking this chance to thank you so much for all the recordings of Low and Retribution Gospel Choir shows you've made through the years. Also, it is very much appreciated that you put so much effort in capturing the opening acts as well, I've discovered some great bands lately because of your posts (Dark Dark Dark being one of them, for instance). By the way, there's some info about Low on this page about their participation at the Le Guess Who? Festival, but my Google Chrome crashes when trying to translate:
http://leguesswho.vpro.nl/2011/item/...94CC44755.html

Regarding Low & Retribution Gospel Choir: I agree with you. I love both bands as well, and Retribution Gospel Choir is the one that has excited me the most in the last few years. I'm also interested in Black Eyed Snakes, and every other project they put their hands on, even if their participation might be very brief, as in these two records:

"The Floating World", by Darling; Alan Sparhawk and Mimi Parker on a couple tracks:
http://sethknappen.bandcamp.com/albu...floating-world

"Old Things", by Jessica Bailiff; a compilation of odds and sods, with Alan Sparhawk playing guitar on one song, "Crush":
http://morctapes.bandcamp.com/album/old-things

I also keep an eye on Zak Sally's projects, and i'm generally baffled at how small responses some of Low-related material actually gets from people. You already mentioned that very few people were at that specific Retribution Gospel Choir show in Düsseldorf, and it just crossed my mind that Zak put the original artwork for "The Great Destroyer" up for auction on E-bay a while ago, and then there was a Kickstarter campaign recently; both in order to finance his projects on La Mano. To me, even Low is somewhat marginal, and maybe that's a huge reason why they haven't ever tried to cross the border and play at least one show in Mexico, I suspect it maybe wouldn't pay the bills. Really sad. Anyway, I hope i get to see them at some point somewhere.

In current news, they apparently will be releasing an EP sometime next year, I hope it will consist of new material as they used to do on the pre-Sub P(o)op years. Alan also mentions in this interview that they are likely to appear on Late Night With Jools Holland soon (just when I thought Jools had gone to shit forever, they made a decent program recently and now there's a Low performance to look forward to):
http://stereosubversion.com/interviews/low
Old 11.27.2011, 06:38 PM   #76
Bytor Peltor
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster_bebop_junkie
At some point, I thought I should stop posting since there didn't seem to be much interest in this record around here, but fortunately, I didn't.

I'm thinking it would be a good idea to go join the chairkickers list as well, which is the best place for Low-related content

Hey Hipster - just wanted to say that I appreciate you keeping this thread going......please don't ever feel like a spambot
Your enthusiasm for all things LOW has rekindled an interest for me. Don't get me wrong, I will be a fan......but I'm now willing to give the newer songs / lineup my full attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
One thing I always felt helped make LOW the band they were......EP's. LOW hasn't released an EP since 2003. To my ears, a new EP recording was somewhat of a guide to their next album.

I was so happy to read your news about the band releasing an EP in 2012. LOW has set such a high threshold with their past EP's, I sure hope this one can approach past efforts......and give their fans some insight to their future direction.

And as a fan, I would love to hear a solo album by Mimi......or better yet, Mimi and her sister (appears on the Christmas album the recorded in their Kitchen). Also, a Mimi and Jessica Bailiff record would be nice!

אש זרה

And John Cage isn't a "mondern noise artist." - atsonicpark

Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.29.2011, 12:44 AM   #77
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Bytor Peltor, thanks for your words. A new Low EP is awesome news to me as well. I was happy to read that interview with Alan and found mention of that. What it didn't materialize apparently was Low's performance at Later With Jools Holland. I would guess they would much rather showcase some damn high flying birds and chili peppers. Lame. Hopefully they'll be able to fix that sometime soon, though. More pro-shot DVDs of Low and related projects are necessary.

In a sort of recent interview that I read a while ago (I'll try to find the link when I have more time to provide a reference), Mimi actually mentioned that there have been talks and interest from some parts to release a solo album by hers, but she said she was fully dedicated to her kids when she wasn't in Low, or something to that extent, but she didn't deny it might be possible. I like a lot of the songs she has made in her kitchen, not only those on the Christmas EP. "Kindly Blessed" and "When You Walked Out" have similarity in regards to their humble origins, and when I listen to them i feel a lot of bliss that it's really rare for me to find in any other record. "Lullaby" , written by Mimi is one of my favorite songs by Low, and i still love "Embrace", "Weight Of Water", "In Metal", etc... despite the fact that they are kind of old and I've heard them possibly a million times. And then, her craft hasn't ever lost any luster, and she still makes great stuff and I'm sure it will continue to be like this. I am in agreement with your idea. By the way, since you mention Mimi's sister, Wanda, the song "Don't Drop The Baby" was dedicated to her...

Anyway, here's awesome pictures of Low's show in Brussels, Belgium on November 24:
http://wannabes.be/2011/11/24/low

"Murderer" from the same show on Youboob:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f54giUPRsE

"Breaker":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHVxw...eature=related

"In The Drugs":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdknk...eature=related

Low played a short session for 3VOOR12TV in The Netherlands on November 25, consisting of "Violent Past", "Nightingale", and "Murderer". Video is available here:
http://leguesswho.vpro.nl/2011/concerten.html#lgw11
Old 12.01.2011, 01:44 PM   #78
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Pictures of Low's performance at Magazzini Generali, in Milan, Italy, on November 28:

http://diariodibordopalco.com/

Another album here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rodolfo...7628210220057/

Low currently takes song requests via their facemuff page, so if you are likely to see them soon on your town and would like to hear them performing your favorite one of theirs, maybe it would be a good idea to ask them and you might be lucky:
http://www.facebook.com/lowmusic
Old 12.04.2011, 06:08 PM   #79
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Pictures of Low's performance at Gayté Lyrique, in Paris, France, on December 2:
http://www.photosconcerts.com/low-pa...011-12-02-5622

Charlie Parr will be releasing a new album sometime in January, in CD and LP format, titled "Keep Your Hands On The Plow", which includes participation by Alan Sparhawk & Mimi Parker.

Old 12.13.2011, 06:31 PM   #80
hipster_bebop_junkie
invito al cielo

Big fat bump.

It seems like PRO-SHOT video of Low (and The Bad Plus) will be broadcast by MN Original this next Sunday. Info stolen from the channel's facemuff:

MN Original

We can't hold out any longer! Remember those not-so-subtle hints involving Low and The Bad Plus? Those clues point to an hour-long special featuring half an hour of live performance footage from each band, airing in the regular MNO slot on tpt2: Sunday night at 6:00 p.m. So watch this performance from Bad Plus as a taste of what's to come, and tune in this Sunday evening for an hour of Minnesota born-and-bred music allstars on MN Original!

The Bad Plus, “Never Stop” | MN Original
www.mnoriginal.org

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth