Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page For old times sake. (drunken tub photos not included).
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.12.2010, 07:20 AM   #181
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Another thing that really interests me is how white guilt relates to people who don't like hip hop at all, or certain styles of music that are popular in a big way with a predominantly black audience. You must have heard some white boy or girl trying their hand at having the higher moral ground because they listen to hip hop, therefore they truly understand the plague of ALL black folks.

Do you mean 'plague' or plight? (Sorry, it's an odd typo I think)

Yeah. On the other hand, I used to know a black Jamaican fella who'd claim to know about white British culture because he liked the Smiths. Ridiculous, but a nice enough chap so I couldn't be fucked to correct him. And very much the exception. Often the case is that most people, except for a certain sort of white person, don't care. And rightly so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 07:23 AM   #182
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray

And what does blues have to do with punk, metal, indie, whatever? Good question, and in all actuality while this day in age the sub-genres of rock music often have little to do with blues, they still came from blues non-the-less. Of course, this isn't something that really matters, unless you are interested in the historical aspects of music...

I'd argue you don't care enough about the history to see further than the blues as some sort of foundational stone of modern music, which very much undermines any serious point you've got. Like the blues, sure, but any of the music you're talking about takes a bit of this, a bit of that and a bit of the other to form itself. Putting the onus on the blues is just a bit... annoying, frankly.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 11.12.2010, 07:24 AM   #183
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
now reply to your pms?

i know british culture because i used to watch mr. bean.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 07:26 AM   #184
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^must spread rep.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 07:38 AM   #185
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Do you mean 'plague' or plight? (Sorry, it's an odd typo I think)

Yeah. On the other hand, I used to know a black Jamaican fella who'd claim to know about white British culture because he liked the Smiths. Ridiculous, but a nice enough chap so I couldn't be fucked to correct him. And very much the exception. Often the case is that most people, except for a certain sort of white person, don't care. And rightly so.

I did mean plight, yes.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 08:17 AM   #186
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
now reply to your pms?

i know british culture because i used to watch mr. bean.

Am I replying to my PMs or your PMS?

Quote:
Old 11.12.2010, 08:22 AM   #187
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Am I replying to my PMs or your PMS?

both?
no i'm joking. i told you i'm not keeping you updated on my menstrual cycle.

Old 11.12.2010, 08:30 AM   #188
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'd argue you don't care enough about the history to see further than the blues as some sort of foundational stone of modern music, which very much undermines any serious point you've got. Like the blues, sure, but any of the music you're talking about takes a bit of this, a bit of that and a bit of the other to form itself. Putting the onus on the blues is just a bit... annoying, frankly.

But it is the foundational stone to 75% of the music I listen to. Sure, the blues was informed on some level by other forms of music, as it obviously wasn't the very first form of music, but there isn't much that happened before it to really compare it to. Matter of fact, there is absolutely nothing in the way of recordings at least nothing of which was recorded before the blues came into play. Slight elements of traditional African music, yes, but your digging mighty deep in order to hear it (by the time blues hit, I'd guess the closest thing any African American had heard to traditional African music may have been percussion techniques that had been handed down through the generations, and perhaps, some spiritual vibes). On the other hand, blues is very obvious in a lot of music that came after. Of course, I realize you aren't denying this fact, but for whatever reason you seem to want to challenge my own interest in making these connections. Not only is blues heard in rock (and most variations of rock at that), but also country, folk, in some distant ways hip hop, funk, soul, whatever. Of course there were those that wished to distance themselves from blues, Little Richard being a prime example, but the influence was and is still more than obvious. And definitely, punk rock and metal are two forms of music that have split off into many sub-genres, loads of which embrace little-to-no elements of the blues. But still, I fall under that mindset that likes to embrace the fact that metal likely wouldn't have occurred without Sabbath (at least as we know it)...and it's interesting, because elements of Sabbath can still be occasionally heard in music that seemingly has NO blues influence (doom and in some cases black metal). Which, this last statement alone likely supports much of which you are saying...an "everything had something occur before it so why give blues too much creedance" mentality, + I can honestly appreciate that, but I am saying that blues is one form of music that has exceptionally been able to sustain itself through the years, in both popular and non-mainstream musical worlds alike. I'm not completely sure this can be said about most music that came before blues....at least not in such a way to where whatever given original form is still obvious.

I'm pretty rooted in rock music, + it's only natural for me to take a solid interest in it's history. Unless it's necessary for me to believe Elvis, Led Zeppelin, The Stooges, Pere Ubu, The Dolls, MC5, or Johnny Thunders were all pulling strictly new rabbits out of hats, I'll continue to follow my interests in the same way I have been.

And not that this matters, but I'd like to throw out there that blues + rock are definitely not the only sorts of music I listen to, they just happen to be what I tend to study most in my free time. I can talk about them and present valid opinions (yes, still opinions...) that come not only from countless hours of reading, but also listening, watching, and even visiting several actual key locations. I'm a fan, sorry some of you find that so offensive.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:37 AM   #189
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
BLUES: The plague of white people.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 08:38 AM   #190
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I want to rep everyone multiple times because of this thread. I'm almost not tired from not sleeping tonight!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 08:39 AM   #191
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's weird to say that rock and roll wouldn't exist without the blues because electricity certainly would exist without the blues, and so would people willing to play music.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:46 AM   #192
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
but.

if black people just worked hard enough there would be no need for electricity.

more oppression = more magical blues.

so the real question is what kind of time altering goblins decided to doom us to an alternative timeline wherein we only got 35% of the blues magic we could have got.

scientists claim that swa's personality would be perhaps 88% more magical and non retarded if keeping black slaves was common currency in white lower middle class american households in 2010. this travesty of justice could conceivably inspire 41% more blues magic if it were to be told to a bluesman, but an operation to spread it amongst the blues population at large would take financial resources that swa's whiskey budget simply cannot bear the burden of.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2010, 08:47 AM   #193
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Old 11.12.2010, 08:48 AM   #194
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
It's weird to say that rock and roll wouldn't exist without the blues because electricity certainly would exist without the blues, and so would people willing to play music.

Agreed, but like I said it wouldn't be as we know it. It would sound similar, sure, but this doesn't change how it actually happened. The majority of music originally played via electrified guitar happened to be blues. And no, I'm not saying blues is better than anything else, of course I realize that is all a matter of opinion. Just saying that I personally take a solid interest in the history. I am still a bit baffled by those that have attempted to steer me away from this.
Old 11.12.2010, 08:52 AM   #195
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa
I am still a bit baffled by those that have attempted to steer me away from this.

Old 11.12.2010, 08:55 AM   #196
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
both?
no i'm joking. i told you i'm not keeping you updated on my menstrual cycle.

DO YOU SEE THIS.
alcohol does damage, sorry.

Old 11.12.2010, 09:00 AM   #197
ni'k
invito al cielo

he's now trying the "i was being serious all along and am feigning obliviousness to everything i said previously." game.

he is still in denial, i offered him that punch therapy, but he is still lying to himself.

the odds that this will eventually result in another whiskey fueled IQ apocalypse like last night are 100%.

he's like mohammed atta seconds before the boeing 747 hits the WTC. he knows what's coming and it's damn sure too late to do anything about it now.

viewers are recommend to purchase snacks and refreshments in advance.
Old 11.12.2010, 09:03 AM   #198
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Agreed, but like I said it wouldn't be as we know it. It would sound similar, sure, but this doesn't change how it actually happened. The majority of music originally played via electrified guitar happened to be blues. And no, I'm not saying blues is better than anything else, of course I realize that is all a matter of opinion. Just saying that I personally take a solid interest in the history. I am still a bit baffled by those that have attempted to steer me away from this.
Sway, I really appreciate your passion for it, even though I might be coming across like a bit of a dick on this thread. I too love me some blues action, particuarly of the more haunted kind, but I have nowhere near enough knowledge of music in general to make the pompous remarks you made earlier on in this thread.

Old 11.12.2010, 09:03 AM   #199
knox
invito al cielo

but it's comforting in a way isn't it?

Old 11.12.2010, 09:04 AM   #200
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
But it is the foundational stone to 75% of the music I listen to. [tl;dr] I'm a fan, sorry some of you find that so offensive.

You like bluesy rock music, and music that's influenced by the blues, and some of the blues itself. We all know this, we're just trying to get you to say it (except little Nicky, who's trying to co-erce you, him and Corgan into some sort of textual hoe-down)

The only thing I'd add is that another thing that gets missed in the dialogue is that blues music wasn't a one-way influence on what we now know as 'country'.

Quote:

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth