Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Album thread:GOO
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.18.2010, 04:47 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
This is very important album to me, because my Sonic trip started here. Excitement about Sonic Youth was very natural progression in my music listening. Before Sonic I had "punk/metal" period and I listened such bands as Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, the Clash, Damned, Anti-Nowhere League, the Jam, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Sielun Veljet and Stone (two last are Finnish bands). After that came "new-wave"-period with Joy Division, Siuoxsie and the banshees, the Cure, Bauhaus, then I also found Tom Waits and Captain Beefheart. With Sonic Youth I also found Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, the Birthday Party, Gun Club and Dr. John.

I had seen Sonic Youth in Snub television program (there were Teenage Riot and Providence videos and short interview) but I wasn´t then so excited about them, I was much more interested about such bands like Ultra vivid scene and A.C. Marias (does anyone know them). Maybe a year after that I read a review about GOO from Finnish music magazine. There was said, that Sonic Youth was flirting with sixties style in GOO. My interest began. There was christmas coming and I thought maybe I buy GOO for christmas present to my elder brother. I did it, but soon it turned out, that I was much more excited about the album!! When I moved away from home, I recorded the album first at cassette, I bought it to myself maybe 1995.

I was just growing up and it was difficult. I had had a driving licence and I accidentally managed to crash traffic sign (there was no-one round for my luck). GOO was just right music for my feelings then. I felt about the song Disappearer, that it was made just for me!!! The other favourites for that album are: Dirty Boots, Tunic, Mote, Goo, Cinderella´s Big Score and Titanium Expose.

Does someone knows, how they ended in Geffen? There was mention in the discography pages, but I can´t find real information about that there.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2010, 05:33 AM   #2
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Disappearer was also my first truly loved sonic song. it started all to me
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2010, 12:07 PM   #3
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Goo is fantastic. Love that album. and yes Disappearer is my favorite track off there....but the whole album is beautiful.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2010, 12:16 PM   #4
dasx
children of satan

dasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's assesdasx kicks all y'all's asses
I started my SY journey from Daydream Nation. Then followed Sister and Dirty. Then Goo.

Goo is great album, I like it's much better than Dirty (which is also good album, but I think its sound-world is too heavy). There's plenty of Sonic Youth classics on Goo, like Tunic, Kool Thing & Cinderella's Big Score and there's also my favorite Lee song Mote. I've always voted Mote as top ten of SY songs. It really blows my mind.
dasx is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2010, 01:22 PM   #5
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Oh man, for the longest time Goo has not only been my fave Sonic Youth album, but also my favorite album of all time. It probably still is, too. I haven't listened to it in a while, though, so I'll have to give it a spin...

My first Sonic Youth album was actually Daydream Nation. That was certainly life-changing, but Goo's more rockingness (hey, I just made up a new word) makes it more enjoyable (not to say that Daydream Nation doesn't kick total ass too).
Old 09.19.2010, 05:59 AM   #6
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
I prefer Dirty to Goo.
Old 09.19.2010, 06:32 AM   #7
flashlight69
bad moon rising

flashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's assesflashlight69 kicks all y'all's asses
goo was also my first album.back in summer 2006 it throwed me into the youth.i think as it is it´s perfect.still love the lee2 song also.
flashlight69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Goo is a great record from start to finish, if you take that stupid song ''my friend goo'' out.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 07:30 AM   #9
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I used to dislike Goo a bit. In those "rate SY albums out of 10" or "rank SY albums in order of preference" I'd always give it a 5/10 or put it somewhere near the bottom. But I actually really like it, maybe even more than Experimental Jet Set... which I considered my favourite 90s album. I don't know how I could hate an album with Tunic, Mote, Disappearer and Titanium Expose on it. Possibly my favourite SY guitar tone. In conclusion I rate it 8/10 and rank it 6th or 7th on my list.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Staple
empty page

Staple has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Goo is a great record from start to finish, if you take that stupid song ''my friend goo'' out.

that isnt a dumb song it's sweet and a very signature sonic youth song, learn it. I find it amuzing. goo was also the first youth album i heard, i remember first hearing the song TUNIC the catatonic guitar sound got to me and as i listened to the rest of the record i was just drugged by the music.
Staple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
It's crap compared to the rest of the album. It's AWFUl compared to anything they did before RR.
Old 09.19.2010, 11:35 AM   #12
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
maybe even more than Experimental Jet Set... which I considered my favourite 90s album.

lolwut? dood. EJSTNS is ok....but favorite 90's album? I'd say there's more than just a few forgettable songs on there.
Old 09.19.2010, 12:11 PM   #13
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
lolwut? dood. EJSTNS is ok....but favorite 90's album? I'd say there's more than just a few forgettable songs on there.
Are you dead? If not kill yourself.
Old 09.19.2010, 12:25 PM   #14
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Are you dead? If not kill yourself.

ok ok, it's Kim's songs on there that really don't get to me....except for Sweet Shine....but like Doctor's ORders, and BOne.....meh.
Old 09.19.2010, 09:24 PM   #15
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Sweet Shine is the best Kim song.

Goo is a terrific album. I think it has one of the best um, vibes found on a SY. It's a real smooth mood burner kind of record. I mean yeah there are those wild tracks like Mary-Christ, My Friend Goo, so on. But those real smooth tracks like Dirty Boots, Cinderella's Big Score, Disappearer, really sell it for me. Mote was my favorite Lee song for a long time. All of the videos are awesome. Stellar album.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth