Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What TV are you watching (live, dvd, etc.)?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 08.22.2017, 11:05 AM   #1601
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,980
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Started into Episodes, pretty funny.
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:37 AM   #1602
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'd never say DW's ever suffered from a shortage of imagination. As for ideas (by which I suppose you mean philosophical ideas) I'm not sure they've ever been central or dealt with particularly seriously. For me DW belongs to a different, more playful kind of SF, with stuff like The Hitchhikers' Guide ..., Time Bandits, right back to proto-SF like Jules Verne; none of which were especially interesting from a philosophical pov. For me, the Doctor in his TARDIS has more in common with Captain Nemo in his Nautilus than Kirk in the Enterprise.

ah, captain nemo! AWESOME

im still waiting for the first dr. who series to arrive here... fucking netflix!

aghhhhh
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:41 AM   #1603
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'd never say DW's ever suffered from a shortage of imagination. As for ideas (by which I suppose you mean philosophical ideas) I'm not sure they've ever been central or dealt with particularly seriously. For me DW belongs to a different, more playful, eccentric kind of SF, that I associate with the likes of The Hitchhikers' Guide ..., Time Bandits, right back to proto-SF like Jules Verne; none of which were especially interesting from a philosophical pov. For me, the Doctor in his TARDIS probably has more in common with Captain Nemo in his Nautilus than Kirk in the Enterprise.

Hmm. I'm not sure I agree. I mean, yes, there's the kooky Britishness, playful and whimsical, and yes I'd toss Time Bandits and Jules Verne in the same general pile, but I don't think the Doctor is anything like Nemo really. Sure, there are surface similarities, but Nemo is a hyper-politicized anti-hero. The Doctor is a hero hero, in a super traditional, no question about it kind of way.
Not that I think the Doctor anything like Kirk either. But that's because Star Trek spreads its philosophical, sort of theoretical representation of "humanity" out over a handful of characters from a handful of races. The Doctor is, I think, very much an ideal for humanity just like the premise of Star Trek is — Star Trek just doesn't compact its version of the ideal into one body/mind. Doctor Who does.

In my mind, the mythology is really closest in spirit to that of Superman. A British, intellectual, brains-over-brawn Superman. Both characters are sort of demigods (or godlike figures) who, despite being ANYTHING but human, choose to embody the best of what humanity "can be" (never will be). Both characters have the power to, in one way or another, simply force the world around them to bend to their will, and just be good and be decent, like they are, but both characters hold onto a strong conviction that humanity's choice in this is absolutely necessary, so they choose to act as guides instead of enforcers.

Both characters are basically metaphors for "God" existing as a result of human action. "God" or ultimate goodness achieved through eternal compassion.

Now obviously there are a ton of differences between Superman and the Doctor, but I think comparing the Doctor to another "mad" or daffy scientist on a cruise through the unknown is just way too easy, and probably places undue importance on the circumstances (a ship, a journey, a mystery, companions) and not enough on the real heart of the character, which is, for lack of a better term, benevolent, nearly-all-powerful superbeing with a savior complex.

I don't know though... you've seen more of the original series than I have, I think, and maybe my assessment is more based on the newer Who, but I still think there are some definite similarities between Star Trek and Doctor Who in terms of general premise, if not in a character-by-character level.

Y'know?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:46 AM   #1604
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Fucking love Jules Verne though. Has there ever been a decent adaptation of Twenty-thousand Leagues Under the Sea?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:48 AM   #1605
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Fucking love Jules Verne though. Has there ever been a decent adaptation of Twenty-thousand Leagues Under the Sea?
i think yes with omar sharif? i don't think i recall much. it was in the prehistory of color tv i think.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:49 AM   #1606
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Speaking of the good Doctor:

Doctor Who casts series 11 companion

... aaaand it's an old dude!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 11:52 AM   #1607
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
close, but no cigar:

THE MYSTERIOUS ISLAND

i'm trying to link to a miniseries not a movie. apparently the thing was recut? something...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 12:16 PM   #1608
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,404
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Defenders first two eps BORING. The next three got more exciting. I still have to finish the season.

The last GoT was very exciting.
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 01:29 PM   #1609
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,552
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Hmm. I'm not sure I agree. I mean, yes, there's the kooky Britishness, playful and whimsical, and yes I'd toss Time Bandits and Jules Verne in the same general pile, but I don't think the Doctor is anything like Nemo really. Sure, there are surface similarities, but Nemo is a hyper-politicized anti-hero. The Doctor is a hero hero, in a super traditional, no question about it kind of way.
Not that I think the Doctor anything like Kirk either. But that's because Star Trek spreads its philosophical, sort of theoretical representation of "humanity" out over a handful of characters from a handful of races. The Doctor is, I think, very much an ideal for humanity just like the premise of Star Trek is Star Trek just doesn't compact its version of the ideal into one body/mind. Doctor Who does.

In my mind, the mythology is really closest in spirit to that of Superman. A British, intellectual, brains-over-brawn Superman. Both characters are sort of demigods (or godlike figures) who, despite being ANYTHING but human, choose to embody the best of what humanity "can be" (never will be). Both characters have the power to, in one way or another, simply force the world around them to bend to their will, and just be good and be decent, like they are, but both characters hold onto a strong conviction that humanity's choice in this is absolutely necessary, so they choose to act as guides instead of enforcers.

Both characters are basically metaphors for "God" existing as a result of human action. "God" or ultimate goodness achieved through eternal compassion.

Now obviously there are a ton of differences between Superman and the Doctor, but I think comparing the Doctor to another "mad" or daffy scientist on a cruise through the unknown is just way too easy, and probably places undue importance on the circumstances (a ship, a journey, a mystery, companions) and not enough on the real heart of the character, which is, for lack of a better term, benevolent, nearly-all-powerful superbeing with a savior complex.

I don't know though... you've seen more of the original series than I have, I think, and maybe my assessment is more based on the newer Who, but I still think there are some definite similarities between Star Trek and Doctor Who in terms of general premise, if not in a character-by-character level.

Y'know?

Yeah, I was really only connecting the Doctor to Nemo as a way of generally linking the series to writers like Verne.

I agree about the stronger link to someone like Superman, and in keeping with the whole DC/Marvel universe thing, I suppose my main interest in DW is its vast mythos. Star Trek has its mythos too but it doesn't seem as involved. Lovecraft is the other obvious cultural reference point. Perhaps less-so now, with the new incarnation, but the 70s era (Pertwee/Baker) was probably more Lovecraftian than it was anything else.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 06:04 PM   #1610
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,552
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Speaking of the good Doctor:

Doctor Who casts series 11 companion

... aaaand it's an old dude!

Christ, Bradley Walsh! For those who don't know him he's a quiz show host and soap actor. That aside though, I just don't know how he'll work as a companion. I'd have thought after the decision to cast Jodie Whittaker they'd try and balance that with a more traditional companion, but obviously not.

Well shall see
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 08:17 PM   #1611
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Yeah, I was really only connecting the Doctor to Nemo as a way of generally linking the series to writers like Verne.

I agree about the stronger link to someone like Superman, and in keeping with the whole DC/Marvel universe thing, I suppose my main interest in DW is its vast mythos. Star Trek has its mythos too but it doesn't seem as involved. Lovecraft is the other obvious cultural reference point. Perhaps less-so now, with the new incarnation, but the 70s era (Pertwee/Baker) was probably more Lovecraftian than it was anything else.

I still see plenty of Lovecraft in the current stories.*shrug*

The Silence story was very Lovecraftian in how it unfolded, only with a modern guy's-in-suits and tech ... thing. Also, the weeping angels' various storylines, specifically the one involveing cave-diving or whatever the fuck it was. Lol.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 08:40 PM   #1612
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
 


haaahaaa haaahaaahaaahaaa haaaa haaaaa
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.22.2017, 09:32 PM   #1613
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,552
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I still see plenty of Lovecraft in the current stories.*shrug*

The Silence story was very Lovecraftian in how it unfolded, only with a modern guy's-in-suits and tech ... thing. Also, the weeping angels' various storylines, specifically the one involveing cave-diving or whatever the fuck it was. Lol.

I'm not saying it isn't in the new series, just that it seemed more of a goto reference in the earlier one. But I'd hate for this to turn into a new vs classic era debate. I talk mostly about the classic era because that's what I've seen most, and do generally prefer, but that certainly doesn't mean I have anything against the new era. There are brilliant (and terrible) stories in both.

Anyway, some good Lovecraftian stories from the classic era:

Image of the Fendhal (Tom Baker)
Web Planet (Troughton)
The Sea Devils and The Daemons (Pertwee)
Curse of Fenric (McCoy)

Maybe the SFX team back then just enjoyed turning rubber hoses into tentacles ...

 
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 08:46 AM   #1614
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,552
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think yes with omar sharif? i don't think i recall much. it was in the prehistory of color tv i think.

I've only seen the one with James Mason, which was pretty good.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 10:07 AM   #1615
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I'm not saying it isn't in the new series, just that it seemed more of a goto reference in the earlier one. But I'd hate for this to turn into a new vs classic era debate. I talk mostly about the classic era because that's what I've seen most, and do generally prefer, but that certainly doesn't mean I have anything against the new era. There are brilliant (and terrible) stories in both.

Anyway, some good Lovecraftian stories from the classic era:

Image of the Fendhal (Tom Baker)
Web Planet (Troughton)
The Sea Devils and The Daemons (Pertwee)
Curse of Fenric (McCoy)

Maybe the SFX team back then just enjoyed turning rubber hoses into tentacles ...

 

^ ahh hey what's that one?! What episode is that from?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 12:06 PM   #1616
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,552
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The Seeds of Doom
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 01:13 PM   #1617
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,404
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
My wife wants em to watch the anthology written by the guy who plays Sherlock's Bro . I cannot remember the name. Does anyone know what I am talking about, and does anyone have any recommendation for it?
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 01:17 PM   #1618
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,326
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i'd google the cast, look for mycroft's name, tap on his imdb page & look at his credits-- shoud be there

-- eta: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1738321/

?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 05:40 PM   #1619
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,980
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
looks interesting, not on NTFLX. Gattis is sure a busy guy, he was great as the prince regent in Taboo.


 
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.23.2017, 09:25 PM   #1620
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 8,522
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
looks interesting, not on NTFLX. Gattis is sure a busy guy, he was great as the prince regent in Taboo.


 

TABOO WAS EXCELLENT!!!

Not a single Emmy nomination! Idiots!!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
31
71787980 81 82838491 > »
-->

Thread Tools

All content 2006 Sonic Youth