Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Will BP succeed in killing all the world's oceans?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.19.2010, 06:06 AM   #21
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
yeah but when we weren't around yet, nothing was drilling through the bottom of the sea to reach the oil that would stay there, normally.

Can't that be said about a million things we do? Genetically alter plants, animals, damn rivers, chop down forest, etc... we're not creating a concoction to make the world implode or anything, they're moving one a naturally occurring substance from one part of the earth to another.

It's not a good thing for sure.... but humans, wildlife and earth will recoup. Case in point, why don't we drag up the status of accidents in the past, rig failures, etc. They've happened, does anyone know of hand what kind of terrible consequences loom from these things of the past? It's easy to panic.... but it's logical to look at history for any form of forecast.

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 06:48 AM   #22
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
We haven't been around long enough to know what our long term effects truly will be. Genius
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 07:10 AM   #23
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Just think of all the species humanity has already wiped out. And each one damages and destabilises the ecosystem.

Freshchops, have you heard of Gaia theory? It's the idea that life on Earth acts to keep the planets temperature at a level that is good for life. Humans are now pushing the climate higher than the world can compensate for. We do have an impact on the world.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 09:30 AM   #24
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
Can't that be said about a million things we do? Genetically alter plants, animals, damn rivers, chop down forest, etc... we're not creating a concoction to make the world implode or anything, they're moving one a naturally occurring substance from one part of the earth to another.

It's not a good thing for sure.... but humans, wildlife and earth will recoup. Case in point, why don't we drag up the status of accidents in the past, rig failures, etc. They've happened, does anyone know of hand what kind of terrible consequences loom from these things of the past? It's easy to panic.... but it's logical to look at history for any form of forecast.

i don't believe the earth will fully recover from what humanity has done to it. we've poisoned the oceans with plastic that has broken down so much it's practically invisible, but it's there and it's destroying sealife.

the earth reacts to our actions, and things change as a result, but this doesn't mean it will be the same as it was before or get any better.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 10:24 AM   #25
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Did you read the post I was replying to?

sure did, but that dude's from alaska (hint: it's even part of his name).

AK is the home of "DRILL BABY DRILL".

I'm not going to change his mind (nor do I think humans can afford NOt to drill at this juncture), but I can poke fun at BP and the fact that few are likely to know what "BP" stands for.

that said, until you people can find a way to plug into the limitless fusion supply that is runing through my head, you'll have to suffer the degradations of mother earth's rape for as long as you wish to survive.

have a sun-shiney day!

and by sun-shiney day, I mean, SMOG.
space is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 10:26 AM   #26
space
expwy. to yr skull

space kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's assesspace kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i don't believe the earth will fully recover from what humanity has done to it. we've poisoned the oceans with plastic that has broken down so much it's practically invisible, but it's there and it's destroying sealife.

that is somewhat of an ego-centric view that most humans take. of course it will recover. it may take a half-life of 10,000 years after humans have destroyed themselves, but it WILL recover.

that's not to say that it will EVER be the same...

me? I'm building a rocket to the stars. it's the only hope as I see it. anyone else want on The Ark?
Old 05.19.2010, 10:47 AM   #27
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I want on the Ark but do you need two of me?
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 11:06 AM   #28
space
expwy. to yr skull

no, but yr welcome to bring a mate (you can't have mine).

...and this time, we're taking the unicorns.
Old 05.19.2010, 11:16 AM   #29
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'd LOVE the opportunity to fast forward to 10 years from now and ask you what you think about the BP Gulf pipe accident..... you'd be at at loss, that is assuming you even remember what the fuck we'd be talking about.....

...or just wait until the next huge media hype, give him a week to get worked up about that, and then ask him how he feels about this.

Quote:
The state, the government, the news.... everybody is vastly overdramatizing this event and frankly, you're just a bitch to their drama.

So true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
"We've never seen anything like this before. It's impossible to fathom the impact."

Although it's "impossible" to fathom, people have no problem coming up with ludicrous theories about its impact. Like FreshChops said, "Everyone is doing everything right to contain the oil, mutha'fucking relax!" What else can they do? Can't change the past.
Old 05.19.2010, 01:56 PM   #30
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
We haven't been around long enough to know what our long term effects truly will be. Genius

OK then, what's your projection? what's you outlook? what do you see happening from patterns? What is science telling you (science, not local news)? So, we just assume and fear the worst, right (according to your sarcasm). Please, tell me how this "can" compromise if not even ruin our lives.... ?

Me, I think that both the planet and humans adapt... we both have a uncanny ability to do so, right? Always have and will continue to. You see obstacles as doom and gloom, and I see life adapting around it right?

I get it [sigh], the higher level of consciousness and more sensitive we are to changes or threats to our lifestyles..... the more brilliant the individual right? To me (who's representing the small minded individual), I just see this as the protest sign on a stick flavor of the week. At the time, everyone feels self righteous hollering about what makes them feel threatened. It's all done out of fear and an inferiority complex that humans have in regards to the planet and universe to make themselves feel relevant at any given time. Look back over history, for hundreds of years. Think of all of the fizzled tirades that this planet has seen, all of the abandoned protest signs... to what percentage have these tirades changed the planet? What percentage of them hold relevant importance at later days.

The tank explosion was and is a tragic accident and hopefully they can learn from it.... maybe have a more hasty way of stopping blown pipes... I don't know... why not put a master valve at the ocean floor level that could stop the flow right at the point of protrusion from the ground, maximizing access to the area that might need repairs from the ground to the platform. Frankly, as many rigs are out there, I'm shocked that it doesn't happen more often. I'm actually impressed that they run so many of these at the efficiency they do without disasters like this.

Old 05.19.2010, 02:07 PM   #31
FreshChops
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
that's not to say that it will EVER be the same...

Is the planet the same it was 10,00 years before humans existed? How about 10 million years? Sorry, but the Earth has and will continue to evolve and change.... humans or not.... and whether it's the same as it is now, the planet we're well adapted to, know and love, is capable of fantastic and even unfathomable changes with or without our consent and a planet not the same as now isn't a scary thing... it's an inevitable thing and that much more fascinating.

Old 05.19.2010, 02:11 PM   #32
space
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Sorry, but the Earth has and will continue to evolve and change.... humans or not....

you say that like yr telling me something new.

sorry.
Old 05.19.2010, 02:29 PM   #33
FreshChops
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by space
you say that like yr telling me something new.

sorry.

Yeah, it's about as obvious as you saying.... that the Earth will NEVER be the same in 10,000 years [sigh]. Also it sounds like you're implying that the earth won't be the same 10,000 after human extinction as a direct result of humans?

Old 05.19.2010, 03:14 PM   #34
space
expwy. to yr skull

that is a distinct possibility.

the most common fuel used in today's fission reactors is 235U. it has a half-life of 700 million years. we just bury that shit and hope that it goes away.

it wouldn't take much to completely decay the ozone layer, bathing the planet in UV rays, forever changing the chemical composition of the planet, and permanently upsetting the delicate balance that nature requires. had CFCs not been banned, the ozone layer would have been COMPLETELY gone in 2060.

some things are irrecoverable. look at Mars. once, it had an atmosphere like ours, and now that it doesn't, things will never be the same. that was a natural occurance that humans surely possess the ability to replicate.

I'm not even going to get into the possibilty of CERN manufacturing micro-blackholes that swallow the fucking sun, as you wouldn't take me seriously enough (Hawking radiation is a lie).

the earth will always be changing, and always has been, but that does not exclude humans's ability to bring adverse change, permanently.

everything is more fragile and tenuous than percieved.
Old 05.19.2010, 03:27 PM   #35
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

the earth reacts to our actions, and things change as a result, but this doesn't mean it will be the same as it was before or get any better.

i think this "humans vs. earth" thing is a false premise. because we are a part of earth and we depend on it, there is no real separation.

nature as a whole will go on until the sun eats the earth, new species will appear over millions of years, bacteria will learn to metabolize plastic-- it's us humans who will die horribly, unable to breathe and buried in our own shit. the earth will recover pretty quick once we're gone extinct.

ps- oh, flotto had already said something along those lines. i usually ignore the little bastard, and didn't notice until now.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 03:28 PM   #36
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
OK then, what's your projection? what's you outlook? what do you see happening from patterns? What is science telling you (science, not local news)? So, we just assume and fear the worst, right (according to your sarcasm). Please, tell me how this "can" compromise if not even ruin our lives.... ?

Me, I think that both the planet and humans adapt... we both have a uncanny ability to do so, right? Always have and will continue to. You see obstacles as doom and gloom, and I see life adapting around it right?

I get it [sigh], the higher level of consciousness and more sensitive we are to changes or threats to our lifestyles..... the more brilliant the individual right? To me (who's representing the small minded individual), I just see this as the protest sign on a stick flavor of the week. At the time, everyone feels self righteous hollering about what makes them feel threatened. It's all done out of fear and an inferiority complex that humans have in regards to the planet and universe to make themselves feel relevant at any given time. Look back over history, for hundreds of years. Think of all of the fizzled tirades that this planet has seen, all of the abandoned protest signs... to what percentage have these tirades changed the planet? What percentage of them hold relevant importance at later days.

The tank explosion was and is a tragic accident and hopefully they can learn from it.... maybe have a more hasty way of stopping blown pipes... I don't know... why not put a master valve at the ocean floor level that could stop the flow right at the point of protrusion from the ground, maximizing access to the area that might need repairs from the ground to the platform. Frankly, as many rigs are out there, I'm shocked that it doesn't happen more often. I'm actually impressed that they run so many of these at the efficiency they do without disasters like this.

Mars.

Was once habitibal like Earth.

Sure, it's still there....but its a barron rock.

Sure, Earth will still be here unless a comet devours it, but the things we are doing to it's oceans and o-zone layer could transform Earth into another Mars easily.

No other species has ever evolved to the point man has on Earth, so gauging how the Earth has recovered in the past from other species is pretty much mute and pointless.

That's my outlook.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 03:31 PM   #37
space
expwy. to yr skull

^^^
Old 05.19.2010, 03:32 PM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
what does chris habib have to do with any of this?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.19.2010, 03:32 PM   #39
tesla69
invito al cielo

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuel
Like FreshChops said, "Everyone is doing everything right to contain the oil, mutha'fucking relax!" What else can they do? Can't change the past.

thats bullshit. they aren't doing anything right to contain the oil, what kind of idiot woul say that? drinking too much flouride. Another employee plant

I'll assert this will be the worst human made ecological disaster ever. EVER. Worse than the Bhopal, Exxon in Alaska, even the nukes on Japan. Why they haven't nuked this yet is beyond me other than to conclude they WANT TOTAL ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER and FURTHER ECONOMIC COLLAPSE. This will allow the elites MORE CONTROL over the population.
Old 05.19.2010, 03:33 PM   #40
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
He owns BP.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content 2006 Sonic Youth