Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools
Old 01.28.2018, 03:09 PM   #4961
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha ha.

right, your jesus is seen as an agent of american imperialism, just like the jesus of the 700 club when it gets dubbed and broadcast internationally (for real).

same with captain america, wonder woman, etc.

since they’re all us-centric and dressed in red white and blue they’re seen as spreading and promoting american values around the globe. whcih, in fact, they are. but unless you’re immersed outside the world of american values it’s hard to see that. theyr’e unbeatable, like nukes and advanced fighter planes, and protect and normalize the corporatocracy.

i wouldn’t be surprised if alan moore was influenced by 3rd world readings of american superheros when he wrote watchmen. plus the fact that the book is straight-up borgesian... hmmm (borges was a right winger though, lol— not everyone from the same continent thinks the same way).

anyway. my job here is done i guess lol. perspective and what not.

thanks for the morning’s procrastinations, now i gotta get back to moving house.


Isn’t Moore kind of a semi-right winger too, though? I think he’s gone back and forth a little. He’s not a far-righter, but I don’t believe he’s a “snowflake” in any sense. Maybe I’m mis-remembering things though. Hmm.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2018, 06:13 PM   #4962
tw2113
the end of the ugly
 
tw2113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,162
tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Weekend progress update: Goodreads says i'm 53% through Fellowship. Page 213 of 398 for the copy I have.
__________________
Shake shake
tw2113 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2018, 06:20 PM   #4963
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Weekend progress update: Goodreads says i'm 53% through Fellowship. Page 213 of 398 for the copy I have.

You must be reading a trade paperback rather than a mass-market pb. The cheapo editions are 550 pages easy. Not sure why I’m even saying this, but I am.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.28.2018, 06:52 PM   #4964
tw2113
the end of the ugly
 
tw2113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,162
tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You must be reading a trade paperback rather than a mass-market pb. The cheapo editions are 550 pages easy. Not sure why I’m even saying this, but I am.


I got a box set and one that very purposely avoided movie tie-in designs. I didn't want any photo inserts in the middle of the books, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdn5xGeAhHI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeOQgbmgsge/

I also noted font size and such, with how much they pack in per page.
__________________
Shake shake
tw2113 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2018, 11:41 AM   #4965
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
I got a box set and one that very purposely avoided movie tie-in designs. I didn't want any photo inserts in the middle of the books, etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bdn5xGeAhHI/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BeOQgbmgsge/

I also noted font size and such, with how much they pack in per page.

Cool. I love TPBs. I only ever read mass markets for convenience.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.29.2018, 04:45 PM   #4966
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,547
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Just finished Paradoxes of Free Will by Gunther S. Stent. http://rxttbooks.blogspot.com/2018/0...d-all-its.html
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2018, 04:03 PM   #4967
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull
 
LifeDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,262
LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
 


Don't think you can get this book with this cover anymore.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2018, 05:11 PM   #4968
ilduclo
expwy. to yr skull
 
ilduclo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,111
ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
I've got this one, dated 1953, Ace Star edition, all the names have been changed, "for the protection of the guilty, as well as the innocent"

I'm a big Herbert Huncke fan


 
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2018, 07:55 PM   #4969
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
 


Don't think you can get this book with this cover anymore.

Lol. I was about to say, “You’re reading the wrong ‘Junky’ by the wrong William!” then I remembered it was first published under a pseudonym.

Do you actually have this edition? Probably maybe worth some scratch... (also likely worth nothing).
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.30.2018, 08:19 PM   #4970
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull
 
LifeDistortion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: CA
Posts: 2,262
LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely not reading this edition, I just love the pulp artwork of it. My cover is much more bland as its just the Penguin paperback, but mine does have an introduction written by Allen Ginsburg.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2018, 12:30 AM   #4971
tw2113
the end of the ugly
 
tw2113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,162
tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
And finished Fellowship of the Ring. Likely won't officially start The Two Towers until next weekend, but I consider it started as of tonight.
__________________
Shake shake
tw2113 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2018, 10:19 AM   #4972
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
And finished Fellowship of the Ring. Likely won't officially start The Two Towers until next weekend, but I consider it started as of tonight.

Fellowship is my favorite and has been since the very first time I read it in a sparsely populated advanced language arts class in like 1995. I think it hits all the right buttons, and creates a sense of bigger-than-life tension and danger and sacrifice without getting bogged down in the attempt to execute all that stuff. It’s the impression of danger, not the danger itself, that has always appealed to me about LOTR. Heading into a storm with no idea what to expect other than almost certain death. The other two books have to grapple with the characters actually getting into those situations, and while I still ebjoy them, they lack the sense of wonder and dread that Felllowship has.

Two Towers is a good read. Return of the King is my least favorite, because I’m weird.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2018, 10:22 AM   #4973
tw2113
the end of the ugly
 
tw2113's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 1,162
tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
You hang out on a Sonic Youth forum, I assume you're a little weird by default, and that's not a bad thing by any means
__________________
Shake shake
tw2113 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2018, 11:20 AM   #4974
!@#$%!
invito al cielo
 
!@#$%!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: mars
Posts: 34,651
!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Isn’t Moore kind of a semi-right winger too, though? I think he’s gone back and forth a little. He’s not a far-righter, but I don’t believe he’s a “snowflake” in any sense. Maybe I’m mis-remembering things though. Hmm.
i’ve no idea about moore, cheeto seems to be our resident expert on the man.

besides, it’s not an either-or thing. you can be borgesian and leftist because borgesian usually does not refer to a political position but more of a stylistical/structural thing at the core of the fiction itself, having to do with realities as structured by philosophical or mathematical ideas.

e.g., we take the self as a reality, but what if the self is a fiction and “the other” is “the same” (entity). or, what if we had a concrete visual or physical experience of the abstract concept of “infinite.” and so forth.

in the case of moore it has to do with metafictions— fictional documentations to support a fictional world, added as footnotes or commentary or some other form that’s presumably “outside” the story. this is actually as old as don quixote! at least, because 1) don quixote is supposed to be a translation from arabic, and cervantes likes to refer to the “original” author here and there, and 2) in volume 2 don quixote reads his own book telling of his adventures. but whatver cervantes did borges stole it well and turned it into a real 20th-century art form that made you dizzy with unreality vertigo, and spawned all manner of imitators, from highbrow shit to comic books.

anyway what i meant by 3rd world readings of superheros is that traditionally the latin-american right has been installed by/ supported by/aligned with the USA post-Monroe Doctrine, and so it has no problem integrating into the empire. the “left” in this scheme has been either nationalist or marxist or both, and in either case is the one that sees the US as an adversary, hence it’s the one that criticizes superman and hollywood and so forth while the other side eats it up.

moore being presumably a well-read person would have come in contact not just with 3rd world critics of north-american ideology, but also with 3rd world right wingers like borges who famously congratulated pinochet on his communist extermination campaign (no joke, it’s true.)

what i meant previously was that just because the thirld world is poor/oppressed/whatever it does not follow that it is a political monoblock. not every latin-amrican is a zapatista/che guevara/whatever, and borges himself was an anglophile and europhile who asked to be buried in switzerland— howver, when i say “3rd world critiques of american superheroes” it’s implied they’re 99% “leftist”.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.05.2018, 06:41 PM   #4975
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i’ve no idea about moore, cheeto seems to be our resident expert on the man.

besides, it’s not an either-or thing. you can be borgesian and leftist because borgesian usually does not refer to a political position but more of a stylistical/structural thing at the core of the fiction itself, having to do with realities as structured by philosophical or mathematical ideas.

e.g., we take the self as a reality, but what if the self is a fiction and “the other” is “the same” (entity). or, what if we had a concrete visual or physical experience of the abstract concept of “infinite.” and so forth.

in the case of moore it has to do with metafictions— fictional documentations to support a fictional world, added as footnotes or commentary or some other form that’s presumably “outside” the story. this is actually as old as don quixote! at least, because 1) don quixote is supposed to be a translation from arabic, and cervantes likes to refer to the “original” author here and there, and 2) in volume 2 don quixote reads his own book telling of his adventures. but whatver cervantes did borges stole it well and turned it into a real 20th-century art form that made you dizzy with unreality vertigo, and spawned all manner of imitators, from highbrow shit to comic books.

anyway what i meant by 3rd world readings of superheros is that traditionally the latin-american right has been installed by/ supported by/aligned with the USA post-Monroe Doctrine, and so it has no problem integrating into the empire. the “left” in this scheme has been either nationalist or marxist or both, and in either case is the one that sees the US as an adversary, hence it’s the one that criticizes superman and hollywood and so forth while the other side eats it up.

moore being presumably a well-read person would have come in contact not just with 3rd world critics of north-american ideology, but also with 3rd world right wingers like borges who famously congratulated pinochet on his communist extermination campaign (no joke, it’s true.)

what i meant previously was that just because the thirld world is poor/oppressed/whatever it does not follow that it is a political monoblock. not every latin-amrican is a zapatista/che guevara/whatever, and borges himself was an anglophile and europhile who asked to be buried in switzerland— howver, when i say “3rd world critiques of american superheroes” it’s implied they’re 99% “leftist”.


Fuck man, this is some interesting shit. I don’t have time to reply right now but I don’t want to forget that we talked about this. I find it illuminating, and also somewhat terrifying as it reminds me how small and incomplete my understanding of the “third-world” realities is.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 04:21 AM   #4976
demonrail666
invito al cielo
 
demonrail666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Black Lagoon
Posts: 16,642
demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've nothing concrete to back this up but I can Alan Moore fluctuating somewhere between anarchist and libertarian.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 04:52 AM   #4977
h8kurdt
invito al cielo
 
h8kurdt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In Mulder's Basement room
Posts: 3,576
h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've nothing concrete to back this up but I can Alan Moore fluctuating somewhere between anarchist and libertarian.

Pretty sure he's said that himself. I know there was a guardian interview a coupla years back where he said that.
__________________


Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 08:22 AM   #4978
Severian
invito al cielo
 
Severian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 9,030
Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
I've nothing concrete to back this up but I can Alan Moore fluctuating somewhere between anarchist and libertarian.

That sounds right.

It also sounds... positively insufferable.
Severian is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 09:11 AM   #4979
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,547
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Moore does not have a big social life. he col' chills. hahahha


I am not aware of his politics, although I know alot about his personal views on things and his relationship with what we term reality....

he did say this in the letter he sent to me after I sent him my review of Jerusalem.

" I hope it’s not inappropriate to extend my deepest sympathies at your nation having apparently elected a giant orange Nazi baby. Our hearts go out to you, although pretty clearly we have our own populist problems right now with an electorate who’ve been whipped up into a misinformed frenzy and have voted for something which is very probably impossible. Perhaps we can take consolation from the fact that in the sprawling township of Eternity, this era doesn’t amount to more than a slender and solitary gutter."


hahahah! soo true. Big orange baby indeed.
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2018, 09:11 AM   #4980
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo
 
Rob Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In the land of the Instigator
Posts: 27,547
Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
he is not a fan of Brexit. haha
__________________
RXTT's Intellectual Journey - my new blog where I talk about all the books I read.
Rob Instigator is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
149
199239246247248 249 250 >
-->

Thread Tools

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth