Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2006, 11:50 PM   #201
The 97th Hammer
bad moon rising

The 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard suckaThe 97th Hammer cold hard sucka
I'm the sort who tends to have several volumes of fiction on the go at once. Currently reading:
Charles Bukowski-Ham on Rye
Angela Carter-Burning Your Boats (collected short stories)
Cara Hoffman-The Wedding and Other Stories
James Joyce-Dubliners
Thomas Pynchon-V
One thing that's struck me since I started reading a lot is that a fair number of people are intimidated by it.
The 97th Hammer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 12:27 AM   #202
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7467
I remember seeing that Metallica video (One, maybe?) with a film version of the book. After I learned more about Dalton Trumbo, I wanted to read it more. Still, though, I always wondered how you could make a book out of it.

Oh, and you're obviously a faster reader than I am. It's taken me three lengthy sittings so far.

I think the way it was written encouraged me to read it faster than I would normally. Usually I read very slowly, because I like to go back and revisit certain passages that stood out to me. And I like to get a feel for how each particular author writes, and what distinctive marks in their writing I can find. I don't do that on purpose, really, it's just something that happens when I get distracted from the story. That's why I get uncomfortable when people watch me read, because it looks like I'm staring at the same sentence for a longer time than it usually takes a person to finish one page. I just enjoy picking apart sentences and their construction. I also get a kick out of reading aloud to anyone who will listen, which probably dates back to elementary school and being ahead of the other kids in that area. When one of my brothers, who is 14, plays games on this computer, he lets me read to him out of this Film Encyclopedia that I have. It works out perfectly, because he hates being left alone, even when doing an activity meant for solitary enjoyment. Like, uh, Solitaire. And things.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 12:33 AM   #203
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm kind of slow. I reread sentences a lot because I have trouble focusing. I have to understand every word I read before I move on, and my thoughts tend to wander when I read. And whenever someone is watching me I can't concentrate at all and it looks like I read slow. I'll keep reading, but not consciously. Then I have to start over.

I hate reading out loud, though. I sound like I'm illiterate.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 12:40 AM   #204
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I have to understand every word I read before I move on

That's me, too. I'll be your shoulder to cry on, and then I'll cry all over you, and so on and so forth, because that's how I roll.

- Sebastian Bach

Old 06.29.2006, 01:14 AM   #205
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I'm like you two, I'm a slow reader. Sometimes it'll take me months to get halfway through a book, and then I get so bored with the pace in which I read, that I move on to another book. I put it down to having a short attention span. I often re-read sentences or paragraphs so that I know how every word fits, otherwise I sub-consciously believe I'm missing out. I also like to indentify with how the writer... well... writes.
Old 06.29.2006, 11:07 AM   #206
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Currently reading Kingdom of fear by Hunter S. Thompson. This guy RULES.
Thank you.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 11:59 AM   #207
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Currently reading Kingdom of fear by Hunter S. Thompson. This guy RULES.
Thank you.

Yes, more Thompson love. This guy does rule.
I haven't read Kingdom of Fear, though. Is it part of the Gonzo papers collection?
I really like reading his letters. I have both the collections. It's great because you can always look for a pick-me-up in his letters; whether it's him bitching at the NRA, or just writing hate mail to some magazine, or writing to his family.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 02:28 PM   #208
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah it is. They make it out to be an auto biog when really it's just a collection of memoirs from him. I'm up to a bit where he was trying to run for Sheriff. He reads like one hell of a pissed off guy.

It's kinda shit that he killed himself sure he was pissed of with Bush but he could of done something. I read an interview with his wife(?) in the observer paper after Hunter had died wish I'd kept it cos I remember being a good interview.

Old 06.29.2006, 02:57 PM   #209
mike7467
empty page

mike7467 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 97th Hammer
Angela Carter-Burning Your Boats (collected short stories)

Ever read Wise Children? One of my favorite books of all time. Died before her time. She's not too popular in the US, but I hope that there's some sort of revival that ensures her place on the bookshelves for a while.
mike7467 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 03:00 PM   #210
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

Wise Children. When I read it I hated but the secind time I loved it. The humour in it is so English.

Old 06.29.2006, 07:24 PM   #211
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
My two favorites are easily Songs of Leonard Cohen and Songs From a Room. Of the live stuff I've only heard Live Songs which is ok, but not great in my opinion.....mainly because of the song choice.

Thanks for the tips. I've finished Beautiful Losers now (I've been reading it at work, and it's pretty short!) and I have to say it's been very enjoyable indeed.

I'm just starting Political Characters of Shakepeare, by John Palmer. He begins by making the excellent point that Shakespeare, although he was required by subject matter to make use of many political characters, was not neccessarily an admirer of politicians:

Get thee glass eyes,
And, like a scurvy politician, seem
To see the things thou dost not

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 07:30 PM   #212
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
the hiss of the city.

:]
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.29.2006, 08:29 PM   #213
TheDom
expwy. to yr skull

TheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's assesTheDom kicks all y'all's asses
A Clockwork Orange
TheDom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.30.2006, 11:28 AM   #214
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.06.2006, 07:59 PM   #215
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Beginning Scarlet Letter today as part of the required school reading, which is a list comprised of :The Scarlet Letter, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Giver, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Red Badge of Courage; choose three. It makes me wonder how those books could be required reading (mainly TLTWATW and the Giver, one of which I read in 4th grade, the other I had read to me in 5th).
I'm not one for reading Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer was a pain. Not yet sure of the other two I'll read..
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 08:30 PM   #216
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
rereading - the minotaur takes a cigarette break - stephen sherrill
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 09:00 PM   #217
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Has anyone read hustler lately? It no longer has relevant and timely news articles, focussing mainly on racist humour and loads of misogyny! Can You believe it?!?!?

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 09:06 PM   #218
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
Has anyone read hustler lately? It no longer has relevant and timely news articles, focussing mainly on racist humour and loads of misogyny! Can You believe it?!?!?

omfg!

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.06.2006, 11:06 PM   #219
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicfollower
Beginning Scarlet Letter today as part of the required school reading, which is a list comprised of :The Scarlet Letter, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Giver, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, and The Red Badge of Courage; choose three. It makes me wonder how those books could be required reading (mainly TLTWATW and the Giver, one of which I read in 4th grade, the other I had read to me in 5th).
I'm not one for reading Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer was a pain. Not yet sure of the other two I'll read..
Noooooooooooo not the Scarlet Letter. Huck Finn rules though.

"All right, then, I'll GO to hell!"
Old 07.07.2006, 02:47 AM   #220
luxinterior
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Noooooooooooo not the Scarlet Letter. Huck Finn rules though.

"All right, then, I'll GO to hell!"

Yeah, Huck Finn is nothing like Tom Sawyer.

- Sebastian Bach

61111 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth