Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page what are you listening to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.20.2017, 05:01 AM   #50221
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
"Learn To Fly" is one I can't separate from the nostalgia, so I know I'm not being unbiased.

"Stitches" is very good. "MIA" is another fav on there.

I used to listen to this record and think about my high school girlfriend. I’d lie in bed, put this on, along with some other unrepentantly uber-emotional crap like Blink 182’s Dude Ranch (DON’T JUDGE YOUNG ME!!! — I also listened to Sonic Youth and Aphex Twin like crazy, but they didn’t cut it for girl stuff) when I wanted to just sink into the drama of high school relationships.

“MIA” is ok.

But I think the last Foos song that really did it for me was “Gimme Stitches.” And that was a massive step down from “My Hero,” which was one of the only moments on “The Colour and the Shape” that wasn’t a massive step down from the worst moments on self-titled.

I’m just not a Foos guy. I’ve seen them live several times and I’ve met Dave, because I *used* to be a Foos in the post-Nirvana void of high school. But there’s no going back for me.

Still, to this day, both the song and video for “My Hero” get me right in the gut.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2017, 07:07 AM   #50222
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I mean even the way you talk about The Colour And The Shape.... yeah, you are just not a Foos guy haha.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2017, 07:45 AM   #50223
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Radiohead
I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings
2001, It felt like "forever" waiting for the release of Kid A, so it felt really shocking when both Amnesiac and this live album followed in quick succession the following year. In my highly unscientific estimation, nine out of ten live albums are just kind of trinkets for fans. They're easy ways to put out more product. But then there's that one in ten live album that really stands on its own. To me, this is one of those. It's the rare live album that I kind of think of as its own unique whole rather than just "a bunch of live versions compiled on one disc." It works as a perfect companion to Kid A and Amnesiac, given that there are no songs present from earlier albums. "National Anthem," "Idioteque," "Everything In Its Right Place," and the title track all have a new-found urgency here. Of course most listeners will tell you that the real reason to own this one is for "True Love Waits," which had been kicking around live sets since 1995 but would only have an official release via this live album until finally getting the studio treatment in 2016. And that's fine. "True Love Waits" is a fantastic song, and the sparse acoustic arrangement here works wonderfully as a set closer. But for me the real standout is the version of "Like Spinning Plates" on this one. Don't get me wrong, the original is a brilliant studio track. But it is a studio track. This live rendition gets rid of all the electronic trickery and instead rethinks the song as a piano ballad. It is mind-blowing and really, the two versions sound like two totally different songs. I love. "Dollars And Cents" is the only dud for me here - and it's not even really a dud, it's just that while every other song finds a new identity in this live setting, "Dollars And Cents" just really sounds like the studio version. Just not all that interesting. If anything, I wish that this album had been stretched out longer than a mere eight songs. But then again, Radiohead left me wanting more at the end of a live album so I guess that's proof that they did something really right.
Old 10.20.2017, 07:58 AM   #50224
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Green Day - Dookie

Smashing Pumpkins - Adore

Crash Test Dummies - God Shuffled His Feet

I listened to that Crash Test Dummies record last night. It was the first time in years. Anyone with me when I claim they're one of the most criminally underrated bands of that era?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2017, 03:50 PM   #50225
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Green Day - Dookie

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2017, 09:21 PM   #50226
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
Green Day - Dookie

I listened to that Crash Test Dummies record last night. It was the first time in years. Anyone with me when I claim they're one of the most criminally underrated bands of that era?

Oh my god you are so brave.

No seriously I wish you knew how unfunny this was, but I don’t think you do.
Old 10.21.2017, 04:12 PM   #50227
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Oh my god you are so brave.

No seriously I wish you knew how unfunny this was, but I don’t think you do.
I just want that bitter, sad old man to start working in a suicide prevention lifeline.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2017, 05:39 PM   #50228
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
I just want that bitter, sad old man to start working in a suicide prevention lifeline.

Dude, everyone would commit suicide. That’s a terrible idea!
Old 10.23.2017, 08:37 AM   #50229
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth
Master-Dik
1987, I don't even know where to begin on this EP. I mean obviously this was super light-hearted. The version of "Master-Dik" here is different than the one that was tacked on to Sister, with this one being drum machine driven. It's not as good in my opinion, although "Master-Dik" itself was always mostly a throwaway to me. The studio version of "Beat On The Brat" would be the real reason to even throw this EP on as far as I'm concerned. I mean, all the other stuff (which basically comprises a twenty-or-so-minute collage) is just kind of funny or interesting, but nothing that I feel compelled to come back to very often. The impromptu "Ticket To Ride" is kind of funny, and actually "Ringo" can make me nod but the entire second side of the EP is just scraps of stuff. Whatever. I'd say that this release was more a prequel for the Ciccone Youth project than anything else, and really that album came out way more listenable in my book.
Old 10.23.2017, 12:21 PM   #50230
Severian
invito al cielo

NR have you listened to 4:44 yet or nah? Been like half a year.
Old 10.23.2017, 12:41 PM   #50231
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I've heard like half of it. Just haven't been in the mood. Sorry to disappoint.
Old 10.23.2017, 12:51 PM   #50232
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
I'm tellin' ya goddammit - 4:44 nay, 4'33" YAY!

GADJI BERI BIMBA CLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDE E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.23.2017, 01:03 PM   #50233
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I HAVE heard 4'33"
Old 10.23.2017, 03:09 PM   #50234
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
I HAVE heard 4'33"

Well, did you dig it? Did you DIG IT?

Old 10.23.2017, 06:46 PM   #50235
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I've heard like half of it. Just haven't been in the mood. Sorry to disappoint.

You are no hip-hop fan, friend. That’s not a dis, just an observation. You’re no longer into hip-hop or Jay. Even folks who don’t fuck with Jay know 4:44 is one of the only rap records in recent years that matters for shit.

Put the ‘90s rock on pause and give 4:44 some attention. If you ever become a hip-hop fan again, you’ll regret not having done so.

And DAMN. too.
Old 10.23.2017, 06:46 PM   #50236
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
I HAVE heard 4'33"

Yeah, everyone’s heard 4’33” but for some reason Soupey doesn’t get that.
Old 10.23.2017, 08:06 PM   #50237
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Truthfully hip hop isn't grabbing me lately yeah. I'll listen to those when I'm feeling it again. I ams who ams.
Old 10.24.2017, 05:29 AM   #50238
d.sound
bad moon rising

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
right now:
andy stott

lately:
newest peaking lights, newest colleen. a little animal collective earlier today.

and unfortunately my own music. i'm working on a new record and i'm at that stage where i have to listen to it over and over and over again trying to decide what to edit. i fucking hate that stage. i start to get annoyed by my own music!

http://seatone.bandcamp.com
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2017, 05:39 AM   #50239
d.sound
bad moon rising

d.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's assesd.sound kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sonic Youth
Master-Dik
1987, I don't even know where to begin on this EP. I mean obviously this was super light-hearted. The version of "Master-Dik" here is different than the one that was tacked on to Sister, with this one being drum machine driven. It's not as good in my opinion, although "Master-Dik" itself was always mostly a throwaway to me. The studio version of "Beat On The Brat" would be the real reason to even throw this EP on as far as I'm concerned. I mean, all the other stuff (which basically comprises a twenty-or-so-minute collage) is just kind of funny or interesting, but nothing that I feel compelled to come back to very often. The impromptu "Ticket To Ride" is kind of funny, and actually "Ringo" can make me nod but the entire second side of the EP is just scraps of stuff. Whatever. I'd say that this release was more a prequel for the Ciccone Youth project than anything else, and really that album came out way more listenable in my book.

i like that version of master-dik very much. it's very much a ciccone song. ciccone is one of my favorite sy albums. it's funny and weird and cool.

One two, one two, one two titty
I know every nook and cranny in New York City
We're Ciccone and that's enough
I'm the royal tuff titty and you gotta taste my love
Taste my love

http://seatone.bandcamp.com
d.sound is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2017, 07:01 AM   #50240
noisereductions
invito al cielo

oh dude I LOVE the Whitey Album. But it's also a way more interesting album than this EP is.
2012241224622502250925102511 2512 251325142515 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth